PDA

View Full Version : Washers and Dryers

Noah Alkinburgh
09-29-2003, 9:46 AM
Now, I know that everyone out there is going to the front loader washers and that the Neptune is the biggie right now. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with the top loading Fisher and Paykel washer. It does many of the same things as the front loader but is a top loader. It uses less water, has a direct drive, and so on. Any insight? I had never heard of the company. I am leaning towards getting it as I trust the dealer I am getting it from but thought I would ask.

Noah

Ken Salisbury
09-29-2003, 10:03 AM
here is what I would recommend Noah :D :D

Ed Falis
09-29-2003, 10:15 AM
Noah,

I have the gas dryer from them, and it's a very nice machine: great capacity, very quiet. If I had a need for a replacement washer, too, I'd have gone with the one you're considering.

Consumer Guides has reviews on the net. The Fisher-Paykel's are very well-rated.

- Ed

Brad Schafer
09-29-2003, 10:51 AM
can't comment on the Fisher stuff, but can comment on the Neptune. i splurged on the gen 1 stuff back in 98 around move-in day. i got the matched washer and dryer, and both machines work very, very well. absolutely no problems at all. and the washer does indeed SKIMP on water. pretty amazing.

(however, my buddy said it looked like i parked a Chrysler in the utility room. guess he didn't care for the logo/hood ornament. :p )

b

Dan Smith
09-29-2003, 10:54 AM
We have the Neptunes, both washer and dryer and are really happy with them. I actually work in the laundry industry (well sort of, I formulate Detergents and Fabric Softeners) and the Maytags get good marks. Not familar with the machines you mentioned, but that does not mean they are not comparable or even better.

Two noticable major differences from the front loading machine other than the low water consumption.

1. Less stress on the clothes because there is no agitator, you tumble your clothes clean, not beat the dirt out.

2. Less time to dry, because the machine spins so much faster at the end of the cycle, there is not as much water remaining in the clothes when they go to the drier.

Good Luck,

d

Phil Phelps
09-29-2003, 10:58 AM
In the 36 years I've been married, we have bought two. Kenmore and presently a Maytag. The front load machines have really been touted as superior washers. If I had it to do again, at your young age, I'd buy a commercial one. Or as close as I could get to one. And, I'd stay away from that consumer rag. Lyin' rats!!!! You know, the mag that made the Izzu Trooper to roll over. I think they attached a washing machine on one side to make it roll. :D

Glenn Clabo
09-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Noah,
There is actually a forum for laundry questions if you want more info.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry/

Brad Schafer
09-29-2003, 11:01 AM
RE: spin speed - agreed! extremely fast.

RE: Cons. Rpt. - also agreed. got a subscription several years ago not knowing any better, and my experience ended up being 180 from theirs. payola, baby.

RE: commercial - only problem there is service. although less likely to wear out, parts can be LOTS more beanos. as always, YMMV,

b

Ken Garlock
09-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi Noah.

When we equipped our new home last about this time last year, we went with all Whirlpool appliances. We have the Whirlpool Elite tumbler washer and dryer. It serves us very well and we would buy it again. Last years consumers reports rated the Whirlpool brand, along with their re-badged Sears Kenmore, to be the best.

I was sorry to see that Maytag had fallen down the list. Maytag has bought up several other appliance manufacturers in order to get better products with the Maytag logo. (Per my appliance supplier who will not carry Maytag products.) Over the past 30 years we had owned two sets of Maytag washer and dryers, along with a refrigerator and a dishwasher. They were good products, but that was in the past....

You might want to check with Rod Peterson over at WC. He bought the Whirlpool Elite recently.

Howard Norman
09-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Now, I know that everyone out there is going to the front loader washers and that the Neptune is the biggie right now. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with the top loading Fisher and Paykel washer. It does many of the same things as the front loader but is a top loader. It uses less water, has a direct drive, and so on. Any insight? I had never heard of the company. I am leaning towards getting it as I trust the dealer I am getting it from but thought I would ask.

Noah
Noah, I can't comment about the Fisher and Paykel washer dryers but IMHO they make the best dishwasher out there.

Howard

Jim Becker
09-29-2003, 11:41 PM
If the F-P washers and dryers are anything like the (-------)-awesome dishdrawers I just installed in the new kitchen...you'll enjoy them. Good quality products and they really focus on energy savings. Not inexpensive, however.

Noah Alkinburgh
10-01-2003, 10:09 AM
here is what I would recommend Noah :D :D

Ken,

Wendy says that is a great idea as long as you are moving in with us to provide the power for that washer :D

Either that or she will slap you so hard your head spins LOL

Noah Alkinburgh
10-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Well the new washer and dryer are to be delivered today.
Wallet is a bit lighter but since I snagged the motors from both of the old ones I see it as two very expensive motors I bought to make new tools from :rolleyes:

Oh and the LOML is happy which means I am happy :D

Noah

Ed Falis
10-01-2003, 10:50 AM
Well the new washer and dryer are to be delivered today. ....

Noah

So, what did you wind up getting?

- Ed

Noah Alkinburgh
10-01-2003, 10:56 AM
So, what did you wind up getting?

- Ed

Ed, the Fisher and Paykel. they had a great deal. Wendy really liked them and they come very hightly recomended.

Noah

Wes Bischel
10-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Noah,

Just saw your post today.

My inlaws in Lititz have F&P washer and dryer as well. They seem to be happy with them - and my Mother-in-law is very particular about these things. Take a good look at the plastic trim parts when they are delivered - seems they tend to get broken in transit - OK during use though. Also, the washer sounds like a jet when in the spin cycle - kinda cool at that.

Wes

Noah Alkinburgh
10-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Noah,

Just saw your post today.

My inlaws in Lititz have F&P washer and dryer as well. They seem to be happy with them - and my Mother-in-law is very particular about these things. Take a good look at the plastic trim parts when they are delivered - seems they tend to get broken in transit - OK during use though. Also, the washer sounds like a jet when in the spin cycle - kinda cool at that.

Wes

Wes, thanks for the heads up on that. I will let Wendy know to look for that when it is delivered. I have also heard it sounds very different when spinning, but most have said it is still quieter than the other washers.

Noah

Ed Falis
10-01-2003, 8:15 PM
Wes, thanks for the heads up on that. ....

Noah

Funny - I had exactly that happen with the F&P dryer. The retailer (ABT Electronics) took care of it without any hassles.

Noah, let us all know what you and your LOML think of these when you get them up and running. I'm particularly curious about the washer, because it's supposed to be the most energy-efficient one sold here.

Thanks,

- Ed