PDA

View Full Version : Four mesquite bowls & a cupn' plate

Bill Boehme
08-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Here are some of the mesquite bowls that I turned a couple weeks ago. The color of mesquite varies considerably from log to log. The large gray one still has the tenon on the bottom and has not been finished. The natural edge bowl was turned at a crotch so it is not symmetrical as you would expect from a winged bowl -- this one is more like three non-symmetrical lobes. It is also full of bird's eye grain figure. It was sprayed with lacquer and rubbed with steel wool. The bowl in the left foreground is also full of bird's eye figure. It is finished only with BLO. The bowl at the left rear was finished with lacquer and is an example of how mesquite sometimes turns out very light. The dark object in the bowl is an acorn box turned from post oak. Where's the cup? I call the plate on the left a cupn' plate because that's what it did (cup) after sitting in the house for about two weeks. It was my first plate and I learned that a little warping is a lot more problematic for plates than it is for bowls. I also should have let it dry for a couple weeks before finish turning it. The wood was still quite wet since it was only cut about three months ago.

Bill

Corey Hallagan
08-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Great looking bowls and shapes Bill. Nice work.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Bill those are some beauties. I like the form and finish on all of them. Nice job.

Ernie Nyvall
08-06-2006, 8:23 AM
I missed something somewhere so let me first say welcome to the Creek Bill. I've seen this name somewhere before.

Nice work on the bowls and plate. I like working with mesquite.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-06-2006, 1:52 PM
Lookin' good, Bill.

Hay---have you always been here lurking, or did you just now come over from the AAW forums? :)

Bill Boehme
08-07-2006, 2:11 AM
Lookin' good, Bill.

Hay---have you always been here lurking, or did you just now come over from the AAW forums? :)

I just stumbled over here from AAW about a week ago to see what was going on. I lurked for a few days scoping things out to see if the folks across the creek were "normal" before posting.

Bill

Glenn Hodges
08-07-2006, 2:26 AM
I enjoyed looking at these nice mesquite piece. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Mark Cothren
08-07-2006, 7:09 AM
Nice looking bowls, Bill! Welcome!

Keith Burns
08-07-2006, 8:05 AM
Nice bowls Bill and welcome the the Creek !:) :)

Tom Sherman
08-07-2006, 4:04 PM
I just stumbled over here from AAW about a week ago to see what was going on. I lurked for a few days scoping things out to see if the folks across the creek were "normal" before posting.

Bill

Bill I am thinking that we are a long way from normal.:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 7:02 PM
From what I can see, they'er lookin' good.

Bruce