PDA

View Full Version : Keeping plunge router from sticking

John Kain
08-05-2006, 10:51 PM
My newer out-of-the-table plunge router is starting to stick some during use which is making it a little difficult to plunge precisely.

Besides wiping the shafts clean, what lube/protectant should I use? I've always just kept the shafts clean, but am wondering if there's more I should be doing?

Thanks in advance.

pat warner
08-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Router model sensitive.
Dings on a tube will frustrate plunge-ability, look for that.
What else? Use Dewalt.
Wax is also good temporary lube for your router posts.

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

John Kain
08-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Pat.

I'm using a Hitachi KM12VC that is new, so no dings (yet).

I'll try the paste wax.

Al Willits
08-06-2006, 11:10 AM
I've found that sawdust works its way into the gears, before using I blow the assembly out with air, seems to work well then.

Al

Curt Harms
08-06-2006, 12:05 PM
My newer out-of-the-table plunge router is starting to stick some during use which is making it a little difficult to plunge precisely.

Besides wiping the shafts clean, what lube/protectant should I use? I've always just kept the shafts clean, but am wondering if there's more I should be doing?

Thanks in advance.

I used a teflon spray lube. It's nonsticky when dry so it doesn't accumulate dust. I"m sure Pat's suggestion to use DeWalt is also a good one, but I just can't bring myself to have tools the color of calf scours in my shop:eek: :D

Curt

Bob Noles
08-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Just installed the Router Rizer my M12V and they strongly recommended (actually demanded) SPT Oil Treatment on the posts. I took their advice and time will tell :)