PDA

View Full Version : Finally pays to live in NJ....

Dan Smith
09-29-2003, 8:23 AM
We sort of, but lucky for me I work near one Wood Workers Warehouse, and can (with going a little out of the way) drive by one on the way home. Well as some of you know, they had the Jorgy clamp sale on Friday. As soon as I heard, about 7:30 am, I called both stores and found that they had the clamps in stock (the second store had not unpacked them yet). Had them put them aside for me as I was at work. Got to the first store around 10:30. They had (4) 24", (2) 36" and (2) 48" Thank you very much... What's that??? You called and they said you can Rain Check More???? Ok... I will take (8) more 48s and (6) 36s. Called in the order, plus the order of 3 other customers who overheard my dealings and we were confirmed!! Should have the others on Thursday. So, then on my way home I stoped at a second WWWH, and scored 4 of each size, still in the box, never unpacked!! They did not even know the price until I told them.

So total score looks like:

8 24s
12 36s
14 48s

For once, something was cheaper in NJ

dan

Rob Russell
09-29-2003, 8:34 AM
So total score looks like:

8 24s
12 36s
14 48s

Nice score!

Question though - why so many 48" clamps?

I picked up (12)-24", (8)-36" and (4)-48" to add to my collection of K-bodies and other clamps (yeah - not-so-sleath gloat). Based on the work I've done, the 24" clamps will be nice for glueing up cabinet doors; the 36" clamps will be great for passage doors and I'd love more of the 12" or 18" clamps for panel glueups. 48's though? Do you have a specific need for clamps that long?

Rob

Scott Coffelt
09-29-2003, 1:54 PM
It usually depends on what you build. I have 8-40 and 8-50 in the Bessey, along with bar clamps that go to 6 feet. I tend to build a lot of furniture (dressers, Armoirs, etc.) the longer clamps work great. Yes, the smaller are idea for doors and other smaller glue ups. I have 8-24 Bessey's and will soon (when they arrive from WW) 4-24 and 4-36 Jorgies. No one ever seems to thave great deals on the 18 & 12's, other wise I would own those too. I don't know how many times I wish I had a larger clamp though or more of them.

Dan Smith
09-29-2003, 2:54 PM
basically what Scott said, for doing larger pieces of furniture. I have been devloping and idea for some bedroom furniture. Plus, the coffee table I made for my brother was over 36" so bigger clamps would have been needed there as well (used pipe clamps for that one). I just figured that too long although cumbersome, is still usable, but too short well.....

d