PDA

View Full Version : Want a new camera for turning photos...suggestions please

Curtis O. Seebeck
08-05-2006, 5:59 PM
I would like to buy a new camera. We currently have a Sony DSC-P73 point and shoot and I can not seem to get GREAT photos with it. I have a light tent and good lights, just don't seem to have enough manual control.

I would like some suggestions for cameras, preferably under $500 that would do a good job for turnings as well as family photos. I am not into photography so I don't really know where to begin.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Frank Fusco
08-05-2006, 6:22 PM
I recenlty purchased a Sony DSC-H2 and am very pleased with it. At $399.00 it has a 12X optical zoom (out to 432 mm) and many other great features. Only downside is that it does not accept the standard SD memory chip. Takes a proprietary chip that costs a little more. I have found that for wide angle shots the flash vingettes at the bottom. To prevent this the lens shade must be removed.

Dennis Peacock
08-05-2006, 7:10 PM
Curtis,

I was just about to make a suggestion until I saw your spending limit. ;)
I use and really like the Canon Rebel Digital SLR. The problem is? It's like my old Canon AE1 SLR 35MM camera....it CAN be a real money pit if you get real heavy into photography. DAMHIKT!!

So, I'll keep my ideas to myself since I really have no real clue about the ever growing variety and abilities of digital cameras. :rolleyes:

Don Baer
08-05-2006, 7:19 PM
LOML got me the Nikon L4 and I realy like, it. It gas a close up setting which I find very useful for doing shot of bowls. I just need to use a tripod since It can be hard to hold steady. It only has a 3x optical zoomand a 3x digital zoom but since I don't do much in terms of ladscapes it work very well for taking pix in the shop.

Chris Barton
08-05-2006, 8:08 PM
Give this a look:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Fujifilm_FinePix_S9000/4505-6501_7-31456443.html?tag=pdtl-img

I have a Fuji Finepix and it has been a great camera.

Earl Eyre
08-06-2006, 12:49 AM
IF there are ten replies you are going to get ten different opinions! So not sure this will help. I based my recent camera on the many different reviews in magazines and the opinion of my son who is a major film and TV director and knows his way around film, cameras, and all that stuff far more than I. I ended up buying the Canon Power Shot A520 which is under $200. 4 mega pixels, 4x optical zoom. Great lens (according to my son, the lens is as important or more important than mega pixels). The big draw for a low priced camera is that it has a variety of automatic settings or you can adjust it completely manually. No it won't do 8x12 blow ups well but will do beautifully on 4x6 or internet. I think you can get the same camera now in 5 mega pixels for under $200. I see no need for anything better unless you plan to get into professional photography.

Earl

Scott Rongey
08-06-2006, 1:19 AM
If you give more detail about what you don't like about the photos (e.g. how do they need to be different for them to be great) it would be easier to give some recommendations. You mention needing more manual control but I'm not sure what aspects you want to control manually (shutter speed, aperature, depth of field, focus).

In general, there are three main areas of discussion:

(1) Should you move up to a digital SLR (typically with interchangable lenses)?
This gives you much more control over your photos and the possibility of specialized lenses for different uses as well as other accessories (e.g. variety of flashes are possible, lens filters for controlling lighting). Another difference compared to the typical point-n-shoot cameras are that the dSLR cameras have larger imaging sensors and use larger lenses that gather much more light. This system enable better quality picture (better signal to noise). In addition, theis system allows you to create a shallow depth of field if desired. The shallow depth of field is useful when you want to "isolate" a subject. You have probably seen pictures where a single flower is in sharp focus while the surrounding areas are nicely blurred so they do not distract from the flower of interest.
Granted, these systems might be over your budget. I know that you can get a Nikon D50 with the kit lens (18mm-55mm) for under $700. I've had a Nikon D70 for a couple of years now with the 18mm-70mm kit lens and have been very happy with it; the newer version is the D70s which is closer to $1,000, or about twice your budget.
While a dSLR system will take great pictures it is bulkier than many point-n-shoot models so that might be undesirable for you. If you are interested into photography then I would highly recommend going this route.

(2) Should you stay with a point-n-shoot model? There are newer model available now so they may help you take better pictures. I had a Nikon Coolpix 990 for many years and it had alot of manual control available, so you might want to check the newre coolpix models. My wife has a Sony DSC-T30 which is very nice for the family snapshots but I haven't tried it for closeups of something like turnings so I don't know how well it will do for that type of use.

(3) Can you learn more about photography and get great pictures with your current camera? I'm not trying to be insulting but you mentioned that you aren't into photography and don't know where to begin. So, I wonder it learning a bit more about photography would do more to improve your pictures than any new equipment would. Again, if you describe what you don't like about your current pictures we might be able to give better advice on how to improve them.

Best Regards,
Scott

Frank Fusco
08-06-2006, 8:06 AM
The Sony camera I mentioned is a mid-range, between point and shoot and professional level. Mine is an all in one single lens reflex but not interchangeable lenses. The 12X optical extends to a 35mm equivalent of 432mm. Plus it has a built in stabilizer that is really handy for both long lens shots and table top macro work without a tripod. I would not get anything under 5 mp as you usually will crop out unwanted portions of a frame and enlarge the rest. A higher mp will still give you a sharp picture. The hawk shown below was only a speck on my frame at 12X zoom and still is sharp. Also my Sony has a Zeiss lens, high quality. Do consider these factors.

Dario Octaviano
08-06-2006, 12:40 PM
As mentioned, check dpreview and compare your choices side by sde.

I use Panasonic DMC-FZ5 and very happy with it. It is comparable to Sony DSC-H1 camera (but much more compact) and a bit cheaper.

If you want to see sample pics you can see the gallery at dpreview or check my pics at my site at www.aoturnings.com (http://www.aoturnings.com)

Good luck!!!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-06-2006, 2:11 PM
At the $500 level, you should be able to find a digital camera that will meet all your needs, Curtis. One thing I would recommend: Even if the camera you move into isn't an SLR, find one which has the capability of running an external flash unit (i.e. has a "hot shoe"). Any digital camera with this capability will also have great manual control.

My recommendation: Save up the extra few hundred and get a digital SLR. I haven't worked with digital SLR's, but I find in my film work that the capability to change lenses is a great boon. Also, if you get a good unit, it will keep you for quite some time. This would be like waiting on the lathe purchase when you can afford a Jet in order to get a Powermatic, Oneway, or similar very high-end lathe.

Good luck!