PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic planner restoration #4

Jeff Horton
08-05-2006, 5:45 PM
Rounding the bin toward home on this one! For anyone that missed the first part here is what I started with.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/powermatic_planer/before.jpg

This is what it looks like as of today. I have it back together for the most part.

44054 44053

I am missing the switch but it should be here this week. I also need a grease fitting I forgot about till I was putting it back together today. I need to send the blades to be sharpened and then start the setting it up/adjusting all the mechanisms on it. That will probably take the better part of a day. But then I can takles that stack of lumber in the background.

Chuck Wintle
08-05-2006, 6:15 PM
what was the biggest challenge in restoring the planer? Was the restoration limited to cosmetics or did some of the gears etc need work? A very nice job from what i see.

Jeff Horton
08-05-2006, 7:54 PM
what was the biggest challenge in restoring the planer?

The biggest challenge was dissasembly on this one! The cutterhead assy didn't want to come apart. The second challenge was finding the proper pulleys to replace the damaged ones. Thats would be easy now, I know what and where to look for them.

1st thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39363&highlight=planner)
2nd thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39505&highlight=planner)

This was mostly a cosmetic restotation on this one. It was torn down to the bare castings. Tuned out to not need that much replaced inside of it. All the gears were in good shape, the whole planner was actually in good shape. the motor had to go the shop but I think it just needed brushes. I actually never asked, they just fixed it and the bill was minimal compared to the last one.

Bruce Page
08-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Jeff, I’ve enjoyed you restoration process. The end results look remarkable. What kind of chip collection does the machine have?

Jim Becker
08-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Outstanding, Jeff!

Corey Hallagan
08-05-2006, 11:28 PM
That is incredible Jeff. Beautiful job!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
08-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Looks great, Jeff. Excellent job. What did you use to patch the rust holes in the base cabinet?

- Vaughn

Jeff Horton
08-06-2006, 12:39 AM
What kind of chip collection does the machine have?
Oh thats simple! :)
http://www.gggodwin.com/shovel.jpg
I have the money squirreled back for a DC system. Honestly I don't look forward to installing it so I keep putting off buying one. I guess I will do that this winter.

What did you use to patch the rust holes in the base cabinet?

Holes?? I had to look at the before photo and I guess they do look like holes. Actually they were just heavy rust spots. Some pitting but nothing serious. If you look close at the patterns, I decided the shop dog (or cat) was marking them as his. Only thing that makes sense as all the machines had similar rust on them.

Anyway, just did some serious sanding and a bit of primer took care of it. Didn't have to use any filler to my surprise on this one.

Alan DuBoff
08-06-2006, 1:05 AM
Nice Jeff! Looks like that homemade mobile base is working just fine. Good thing it's only got a couple inches to fall! ;)

Outstanding restoration! Really looks nice. Are you going to paint the Powermatic on the front or leave it as-is? Actually look good the way it is, IMO.

Glad you didn't paint a racing stripe on it...seems that so many folks do that when they restore the Powermatics as the newer ones had the stripe...

John Michaels
08-06-2006, 2:03 AM
Very impressive!

Jeff Horton
08-06-2006, 8:53 AM
Alan I have said it many times. The only thing worse than Powermatic green is the racing stripe on the planners! Each to his own but I hate that. It's not NASCAR, its woodworking. :rolleyes:

From what I can tell the planner didn't have the letters painted a different color. Have not given it must thought but I might paint them white or red like on the DeWalt. Really would jump out.

Russ Massery
08-06-2006, 9:54 AM
Nice job Jeff, Great to see old iron put back to use.