PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany Main Bowl

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2006, 3:58 PM
Well here is the main salad bowl out of Mahogany for the set I posted earlier. It is 12 3/4" across and 4 1/4" deep. It has no finish yet. Still trying to make up my mind. This is by far the biggest thing I have turned. I turned it much in the same fashion as the small ones. Now I just have to make the fork and spoon for it. Let me know what you think.

Dick Parr
08-05-2006, 4:08 PM
That is going to be one really nice set there Bernie. Very nice job on all of them..

Barry Stratton
08-05-2006, 4:17 PM
WOW Bernie!!!! That is HUGE and BEAUTIFUL!!!! Great, thoughtful gift!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2006, 4:20 PM
Nicely done Bernie! The kids are going to love that! You'll shine in the DIL eyes!

John Miliunas
08-05-2006, 5:02 PM
Hey Bernie, judging by the size of that gigundo bowl, shouldn't you be calling it a "Texas bowl" or something, rather than a "Maine bowl"??? Maine isn't all that big, you know! :D I have to believe it'll be a hit! Nice job, Bernie!:) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
08-05-2006, 5:25 PM
Bernie that is going to be a beautiful set my freind! I can't wait to see them all finished. The kids are going to love it. Awesome job Bernie, I know you have been planning this gift for sometime and it has turned out great!

Corey

Michael Stafford
08-05-2006, 5:32 PM
Way to go, Bernie! What you gonna do for finish? Some mineral oil or something like that? That mahogany will get real rich in color when it is oiled.

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2006, 5:52 PM
Way to go, Bernie! What you gonna do for finish? Some mineral oil or something like that? That mahogany will get real rich in color when it is oiled.

Mike I have a couple of thoughts. The boys family is not allergic to nuts of any kind so I had thought about Mike Mahoney's walnut oil and then top it with his walnut oil/ beeswax/ carnuba wax finish. Either that or tung oil with Gel Poly finish. Rocklers told me theirs is resistant to water, alcohol and acid. So may go that way as it was suggested to me by our own Dennis Peacock.

John I thought about keeping the big bowl. Man that will hold a good gallon of Dark Sweet Cherry ice cream. :p

Thanks for the comments.

Corey Hallagan
08-05-2006, 6:09 PM
Just becareful with waxes Bernie. Mahogany is an open grain wood and unless the poors are sealed well you will get those darn white flecks in the open grain pores. DAMHIKT :) When i work with woods like walnut and mahogany I don't feel the pores myself.. I just avoid waxes for what it is worth.

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
08-05-2006, 9:06 PM
Alright Bernie. Nice job.

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2006, 10:13 PM
[quote=Corey Hallagan]Just becareful with waxes Bernie. Mahogany is an open grain wood and unless the poors are sealed well you will get those darn white flecks in the open grain pores. DAMHIKT :) When i work with woods like walnut and mahogany I don't feel the pores myself.. I just avoid waxes for what it is worth.

Gotcha Corey. I knew it was open grain was the reason I was kinda leary about the walnut oil/beeswax/carnuba wax mixture. I am going to try it on a scrap piece first. Right now I am trying several finishes on scrap pieces before I jump in.

Thanks again for the comments.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-06-2006, 1:43 PM
Looks good, Bernie. I look forward to seeing the finish on it.

Wolf Kiessling
08-06-2006, 1:54 PM
A fine looking bowl, Bernie, good job.............

Watch filling it with that cherry ice cream, however, or the ole belly will grow to the size of the bowl..............

Tom Sherman
08-06-2006, 5:42 PM
Bernie that Maine bowl is a great compliment to the others Once the finish is on should be quite a set and should get you a big ol hug for reward.

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2006, 6:22 PM
Thanks again. I took some advice from a friend and buddy here. I cut a bead where the glue line is. I was going to burn a line but upon some advice did the bead. Now the glue line can't be seen. Took some of the corner cutoffs and sanded them on the belt sander. I am trying different finishes on each to see what I will like.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-06-2006, 7:13 PM
Bernie, I love that heavy rounded edge. It's a great bowl.:)