PDA

View Full Version : Got my new headstock

Liem Tran
08-05-2006, 3:47 PM
Hello everyone, I finally got my new headstock. The store manager and I unpacked it and checked to make sure everything is running ok and it did. During the wait, I did manage to gather all the tools and accessories needed to start turning. I bought an 8pc set of Benjamin's best chisels, the Wolverine jig, and a new Delta 8" grinder. I was also able to teach myself how to sharpen the chisels. I actually enjoy sharpening the chisels with the Wolverine jig. I thought it would be a nightmare at first, but it turned out to be very easy. I want to purchase a chainsaw but not sure whether I should go for a gas or electric model. Maybe both? Also what kind of projects would you guys recommend for beginners?

Thanks
Liem

Dan Oliphant
08-05-2006, 4:12 PM
Liem, glad everything turned out to your satisfaction. My suggestion would be to post your turning questions on the turners forum. That way the turners that only look there will be able to help you.

You might also think about starting out with pins, I hear there might be a need for donated pins.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2006, 5:04 PM
Liem....Dan's right....posting this over on the turners forum would probably get more responses as some turners don't go to the general woodworking forum. That being said.......

Welcome to the vortex! If you don't have any books or videos...that might be the place to start. I have two books I'd recommend....the first "Woodturning...A Foundation Couse" by Keith Rowley and the 2nd "Learn to Turn" by Barry Gross. Both are good books for beginners though I like the Rowley book more.

If you can...join a local turning club......take some lessons...probably offered by a local Woodcraft store....

First things to turn...........start with turning spindles ......chuck up a piece of wood and practice turning it to a cylinder using a roughing gouge....then turn some beads and coves.......You could do this for days and continue to learn.

Go to the Woodcraft website and watch the videos under the Educational area.

Turn a bonker.....

Turn a goblet.....

I'd recommend getting the book by Rowley for a good reference.

Get some videos......Turning Wood...by Raffan......Turned Bowls Mad Easy by our own Bill Grumbine.....

Good luck with your learning! Turning is addictive!

Corey Hallagan
08-05-2006, 5:37 PM
Glad to hear it turned out ok. Looking forward to seeing your turnings!

Corey

glenn bradley
08-05-2006, 9:29 PM
That's great Liem! I'm sorry you had to go through that. Maybe the folks at Rockler figured it out while watching you shop-while-waiting. Hmmmm, I wonder if you would have done your shopping there if they had kept to their guns on the "it's your fault" thing?

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2006, 1:01 AM
Hey Liem glad to see everything went ok. Welcome to the black hole of turning.

Barry Stratton
08-06-2006, 3:20 AM
Excellent news, Liem. I read ( but did not post) in your thread describing your problems. I am glad things worked out for YOU. And, you might as well sell any other tools you have ( except a bandsaw) so you can feed the new monster...

I second Rowley's book, it is a great read. And you must turn the obligatory "bonker" first.....

Frank Fusco
08-06-2006, 8:00 AM
You (finally) got good service. And you bought more stuff. The store manager should have learned a lesson, good customer service translates into more sales and good PR and more customers, etc. Way to go. Happy ending. Or should we say, happy beginning? :)

Ernie Nyvall
08-06-2006, 9:41 AM
Glad to see it got taken care of Liem. Now let's see some shavings.:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Glad to hear you got it going.

I'll second Ken's recommendation on the book by Keith Rowley, it is well worth the price, a ton of info and really good pics and diagrams too.

Take a lesson, take a bunch if you can, you are so lucky that way, I've only ever seen two other people actually turn in person, and both of those were demos, not lessons, so I did not get to turn, but only watch.

I hear that 10 minutes hands on with a good teacher is worth hours of book reading.

Do some spindle work first, that is what you want to tackle to see how stuff cuts, don't worry, you will progress as fast as your skills take you.

Cheers!

Liem Tran
08-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Liem....Dan's right....posting this over on the turners forum would probably get more responses as some turners don't go to the general woodworking forum. That being said.......

Welcome to the vortex! If you don't have any books or videos...that might be the place to start. I have two books I'd recommend....the first "Woodturning...A Foundation Couse" by Keith Rowley and the 2nd "Learn to Turn" by Barry Gross. Both are good books for beginners though I like the Rowley book more.

If you can...join a local turning club......take some lessons...probably offered by a local Woodcraft store....

First things to turn...........start with turning spindles ......chuck up a piece of wood and practice turning it to a cylinder using a roughing gouge....then turn some beads and coves.......You could do this for days and continue to learn.

Go to the Woodcraft website and watch the videos under the Educational area.

Turn a bonker.....

Turn a goblet.....

I'd recommend getting the book by Rowley for a good reference.

Get some videos......Turning Wood...by Raffan......Turned Bowls Mad Easy by our own Bill Grumbine.....

Good luck with your learning! Turning is addictive!

Ken thanks for the recommendations. I will definately check out those books. I've already checked out the WOodcraft website. All I did so far is made some shavings, and boy is it fun! I will post on the turner's forum next time. :D

Liem Tran
08-06-2006, 1:00 PM
That's great Liem! I'm sorry you had to go through that. Maybe the folks at Rockler figured it out while watching you shop-while-waiting. Hmmmm, I wonder if you would have done your shopping there if they had kept to their guns on the "it's your fault" thing?

Glenn, actually I only bought the wolverine jig from them everything else was puchased elswhere.

Liem

Liem Tran
08-06-2006, 1:09 PM
Excellent news, Liem. I read ( but did not post) in your thread describing your problems. I am glad things worked out for YOU. And, you might as well sell any other tools you have ( except a bandsaw) so you can feed the new monster...

I second Rowley's book, it is a great read. And you must turn the obligatory "bonker" first.....

Barry,
You're right, I think I should sell all my other tools, because I won't have time for it. ;) Actually I've been wanting to upgrade my bandsaw for the past 2-3 months. Maybe now is the time.

Thanks

Liem

Tom Jones III
08-07-2006, 8:46 AM
You've got good timing, this is the first Monday of the month. Several wood turners will be getting together at the Cutting Edge tonight after closing time for their "First Mondays". Bring a chunk of wood (or come 15' early and buy one). They will be happy to help you with your first project.

If you are looking for lessons I would take beginning bowl turning from Cutting Edge.

Brad Schmid
08-07-2006, 4:13 PM
You've got good timing, this is the first Monday of the month. Several wood turners will be getting together at the Cutting Edge tonight after closing time for their "First Mondays". Bring a chunk of wood (or come 15' early and buy one). They will be happy to help you with your first project.

If you are looking for lessons I would take beginning bowl turning from Cutting Edge.

Have fun tonight Tom, unfortunately, I can't make it tonight:(
I suspect it'll be cancelled in September because first monday is a holiday, so I guess I'll have to catch up with ya'll in October.

Liem - it will start at 7pm and go to 9pm and Tom's right, it's worth every minute. You'll probably have a half dozen experienced folks there more than willing to help you with whatever you want to know (and the price is right;) )
Cheers

Christopher K. Hartley
08-08-2006, 7:58 AM
Liem, Great news! I also notice you are here in Houston. If you need any wood I have plenty of various kinds and would be more than glad to give you some. If you are interested let me know. You've got to put those gloats to good use you know.:)

Liem Tran
08-08-2006, 3:33 PM
Christopher,
Thank you for your generousity, I'll keep That in mind. :)

Liem Tran
08-08-2006, 3:38 PM
Have fun tonight Tom, unfortunately, I can't make it tonight:(
I suspect it'll be cancelled in September because first monday is a holiday, so I guess I'll have to catch up with ya'll in October.

Liem - it will start at 7pm and go to 9pm and Tom's right, it's worth every minute. You'll probably have a half dozen experienced folks there more than willing to help you with whatever you want to know (and the price is right;) )
Cheers

Thanks for letting me know guys. The problem is Monday happens to be the most busy day at work for me I get off pretty late. :mad:
Good thing lathes are quiet. I only have time to play with it at night.:)

Liem