PDA

View Full Version : Freight Company

Seth Poorman
08-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Hey Guys
I was wondering if anyone out there has any advise on what freight company I should go with, I just bought a used shaper and its in new condition .
The guy I bought it from is going to strap it to skid w/ ties and shrink wrap and he is going to put plywood on the top and sides to help protect it. The shaper is in such good condition im afraid somthing is going to happen to it. I wonder if there is a freight company out there that uses white glove care when it comes to there freight?
The shaper is coming from Salem Origon to Fort Wayne Indiana, so its going to be making some tranfers at freight yards... Any advise?
Thanks Seth....

Joe Blankshain
08-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Check with Dennis Peacock as when I bought the Robland X31 from him, he found a frieght company that did a great job of getting the crate here intact.

Al Killian
08-05-2006, 12:50 PM
I can think of three that are decent to work with, PENN Trucking,Yellow Trucking and Road Way. I dont have their numbers of hand but they should be easy to find.

Andy Hoyt
08-05-2006, 1:08 PM
Stick with a known name.

And since the movement will include numerous transfers at loading docks, be sure that whichever carrier picks it up also has a terminal located near enough to you so that they (or one of their partnered companies) can deliver it.

Working outside of that will invite delays and hassles.

And have the seller take tons of "as shipped" pics.

Ken Garlock
08-05-2006, 1:20 PM
Ingersoll Rand used the Fed-X ground trucking company. They delivered by compressor right to the door with a lift tail-gate. The driver even unloaded it for me and put it in the garage. You couldn't ask for a better delivery than that.

Gary Curtis
08-05-2006, 1:44 PM
Freight charges usually run 25¢ to 50¢ per pound. Then they will hit you with a $25 charge for the pallet jack, should they use it.

I retired last year from FedEx. I would ask the machine dealer if he has a deal with any freight company. When I had my 700lb sliding table saw delivered in February (northern calif), the dealer got a better price on FedEx than I did with my employee discount.

To ease your mind about white glove care, when the driver delivered it, my driver moved like magic with that heavy clunker. I couldn't believe his agility. I think your shaper will be fine if crated as you say. After all, these guys do this stuff every day.

Most of these companies funnel their freight through depots, so there will be a change of trucks. Here's what you do. Look for any scuffing/bruising on the crate, and just write a notation of it on the waybill when you sign for receipt.

Then, you are covered financially should any damage turn up later. No need for a microscopic inspection at delivery time.

Good luck,

Gary Curtis

John Shuk
08-05-2006, 3:23 PM
you could try www.freightqoute.com . There are a couple of others sites as well. Google is your friend here.

glenn bradley
08-05-2006, 8:38 PM
I've mentioned this before. Hope it wasn't bad advice. In a previous life I engaged folks who were qualified to move (expensive) pianos. They've got the gear to move hundreds of pounds and the know-how and the insurance to cover such things.