PDA

View Full Version : What is DNA Bath?

Norris Randall
08-05-2006, 8:09 AM
Hello Folks,
I just found this web site and it is delightful to look around.
There have been several references to "DNA".
I went to Search and got no help. Please give additional information/directions regarding DNA.

Thanks a bunch.

Blake McCully
08-05-2006, 9:02 AM
Norris,
DNA refers to DeNatured Alcohol. It's used to rapidly stabilize wet and or green wood. Look at this site:
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml.

I've been using it, very successfully, for quite a while. Follow his suggestions and you shouldn't have any problem with bowls cracking.

Check it out, great article.

Ernie Nyvall
08-05-2006, 9:05 AM
Yep, works good.

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2006, 9:09 AM
I agree. Have been using it and haven't lost a bowl yet. Works great.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-05-2006, 9:43 AM
I'm a noob, compared to a lot of guys here, but I've too been very successful with it, not lost one bowl.

Cheers!

Dennis Peacock
08-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Welcome to SMC Norris..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see ya join the crowd here. :D DNA is a process of bowl blank drying that was brought about by Dave Smith, a fellow woodturner. It's been very popular and since I've learned about it, I've been using that method for about 2 years now and I have only lost 1 bowl blank our of about 50 that I've done using the DNA process. There's also a write up of the process I go through in the articles section here on SMC. I just need to write the other half of the article to make a completed, from start to finish, of a bowl. :o :rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
08-05-2006, 10:24 AM
This should help, too.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13792

Don Baer
08-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Ya beat me to it Andy.

Dennis Peacock
08-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks Andy....I was looking for that thread....you is just faister'n me. :)

George Conklin
08-05-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm a noob, compared to a lot of guys here, but I've too been very successful with it, not lost one bowl.

Cheers!

Sorry, Stu. With 2365 posts, you can no longer claim noob status:D .

Norris Randall
08-06-2006, 6:10 AM
Boy Howdy,
I'm glad I found this forum. You folks are delightful and helpful. Thanks to all. Hope I can help one of these days.:)

Terry Quiram
08-06-2006, 8:56 AM
Norris

I want to point out an alternative to newspaper and taping. I also use dna but just stick them in a brown paper bag and roll the bag opening around the rim of the bowl leaving the inside open to the air. Plus the bag is reusable. I write the date on the bottom of the bag. I have lost some bowls using this method but all of them had a pith somewhere in the bowls walls. I have also lost a couple of crotch section pieces. Maybe a total of 10 lost but I have dried over 250 bowls using this method. I will take that as a very acceptable win to loss ratio.

Terry