PDA

View Full Version : Back Saver Panel Cart

Jerry Todd
09-28-2003, 8:44 PM
Clipped this article by Keith Brandman from American Woodworker, Dec 1998). Just got into my new shop and this is my first project, Know it will come in handy building my shop cabinets. Just turned 60 and 3/4 inch plywood panels are just too heavy to handle alone.
Jerry

Edward E Wilson Jr
09-28-2003, 9:06 PM
Computer was on so went and looked. Cannot figure out what is holding the plywood up in the first picture for you to cut it to size.

Jerry Todd
09-28-2003, 9:28 PM
Computer was on so went and looked. Cannot figure out what is holding the plywood up in the first picture for you to cut it to size.
A 4' X 6' sheet of 3/4" plywood is hinged to the top of the cart. A 2" X 2" piece of wood stock is screwed to the bottom of it. You simply slide the plywood off your rack onto the panel cart and it rests on the aforementioned 2" X 2" stock, wheel it to your saw and flip it to a horizontal position. The cart is slightly higher than the saw.
Jerry

Bob Lasley
09-28-2003, 9:38 PM
Jerry,

I made something very similar a few years ago after recovering from a back injury. Mine is slightly lower than the bed of my pickup and slightly higher than the cutting grid I use to rough cut sheet goods to size before going to the table saw. It has definately kept me out of the hospital, well, for back problems anyway.

Bob

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Jerry
That's a good idea!
Glad you posted it.
Thanks to Bob also for his input.
You see LOML has been complaining this past summer that she can't lift those heavy panels any more and DON'T BUY MDF (she says).
So glad to see your solution.
Daniel :cool:

Jim Baker
09-29-2003, 1:34 PM
Just turned 60 and 3/4 inch plywood panels are just too heavy to handle alone.
Jerry

I'm about to turn 37 and 3/4 panels are already too heavy for me to handle alone. I think this would be a good project to add to my "whenever I get time" list.