PDA

View Full Version : Cumuru Wood - Any experiences with this?

Doug Shepard
08-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I picked up a couple boards of Cumuru off eBay with 1 min left and no bidders, for the whopping price of $0.99 + the S&H. It arrived the day I started my gashop floor epoxy paint project so to get it out of the way I stuffed it in an out of the way spot - and prompty forgot about it. I stumbled across it a couple of days ago and finally opened the package. It's some nice looking stuff but there's very little info to be found for this wood. The one item I was able to find says this:

Cumuru is Dipteryx odorata. It's also known as Brazilian teak. It is very hard, very strong wood, difficult to plane; some warping is reported when it is used in dry climates. But perhaps the lumber was not properly dried in those cases. Oils in the wood may interfere with gluing and with the curing of oil-based finishes applied to the wood. I understand that the wood is used as a substitute for lignum vitae in wooden cogs, wear plates, bushings, and other heavy-duty applications.

I was just wondering if anyone here has worked with it and if so, what their thoughts were.

Jim Becker
08-05-2006, 9:55 AM
Based on the description, make sure you have some acetone on-hand to wipe it down prior to glue-up.

Jim King
08-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Here in Peru Cumaru is called Shihuahuaco and as you say it is sold in the States as Brazilian Teak. It has nothing to do with teak, just a marketing name.
It leaves the Amazon as decking and flooring. These guys that sell this kind of stuff on ebay with the fake names and dont explain what the wood really is should be hung. I´m sure many people buy this thinking it was plantation teak and when the peice of rock arrives that is virtually unworkable the .99 price was quite high. Another is Santos Mahogany, this also is like stone and has nothing to due with Mahogany. I´ve even seen African Purpleheart on ebay, now that would be a suprise to the scientific community.

The thick decking stock is virtually never completly kiln dried as for 5/4 stock to dry to 6-8% moisture content it would take at least 60 days in the kiln and would not be economicly reasonable. It is usually taken down to about 20 - 30 % for decking and the 3/4 for flooring is dried to 8%. I have used it for floors in both houses and boats and had no problem with polyurethane sticking perfectly. I have never noticed an oil problem.

Doug Shepard
08-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys. I actually don't think I knew about the Brazilian Teak alias until googling yesterday trying to find some info on the wood. If the seller called it that, I wasn't paying attention. I thought it looked like some sort of mahogany and for $0.99 I figured - why not buy it and see what I can use if for. Wood is like stray animals - you're often tempted to take them home:) . I dont have a clue yet what I might use it for but it sounds like I better plan on sharpening some plane irons when I get to that point. If all else fails, my dog will have some nice new chew sticks - not a bad deal for $0.99:D

Rod Torgeson
08-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Doug......I got some Cumaru wood here awhile back from Crosscut Hardwoods in Portland, Oregon. I bought it mainly to make into pen blanks. I have made some pens for the Freedom Pen Project with the blanks. It has been awhile but if I remember it turns pretty good and also finishes good. They spelled it a little different then you did, but I think it is the same wood. Hope this helps. Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Jim King
08-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Just thought this may be of interest. Sorry about the language but we dont have to many books on the Amazon that are in English. I cut off the description in Portuguese.

Frank Fusco
08-05-2006, 6:19 PM
I turned one pen from 'mahogany' and as Jim describes, it was like rock. Must have been that cumuru/whatever stuff.

Doug Shepard
08-05-2006, 8:43 PM
Jim
Thanks for the pics. Are those edible nuts or just seeds? Just curious as I've never heard of cumuru nuts either.
Just for kicks this afternoon I decided to take a few plane passes. I just grabbed the closest plane to the wood and dove in. I fully expected the LN LA Block plane to scream in protest. I was surprised though as it didn't seem all that difficult to work - maybe similar to a harder piece of mahogany. The plane blade needs to be sharpened but it's not what I'd call dull either. Anyway, there's hope yet for these boards.

Jim King
08-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Doug: Honestly I have never tried them but I would assume they are edible. I had a freind/ partner who crashed in the jungle with a small plane and ate everything he saw the monkeys eating for 40 days. He followed the small creeks downstream until he hit a big one and with a balsa wood raft tied together with vines he made it out. Sorry to say he is in jail now for 29 years for 4 tons of coca discovered in a lumber shipment in Tarpon Springs FL. He was also the American Consul and main guide for National Geographic in the area.

Doug Shepard
08-06-2006, 7:51 AM
... I had a freind/ partner who crashed in the jungle with a small plane and ate everything he saw the monkeys eating for 40 days. He followed the small creeks downstream until he hit a big one and with a balsa wood raft tied together with vines he made it out...

Jeez - and I complain about the time and effort required to run to the local hardwood supplier. Seems pretty insignificant compared to your tree-hunting Indiana Jones existence. I'm not sure I'll look at a piece of imported exotic wood the same way again.

Frank Fusco
08-06-2006, 7:53 AM
Doug: Honestly I have never tried them but I would assume they are edible. I had a freind/ partner who crashed in the jungle with a small plane and ate everything he saw the monkeys eating for 40 days. He followed the small creeks downstream until he hit a big one and with a balsa wood raft tied together with vines he made it out. Sorry to say he is in jail now for 29 years for 4 tons of coca discovered in a lumber shipment in Tarpon Springs FL. He was also the American Consul and main guide for National Geographic in the area.

New story line? :rolleyes: (private joke. sorry moderators ;) )