PDA

View Full Version : First of several thank you's

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Some time ago Nick Englesby offered to send some Teak blanks to anyone who would email him. Since It's tough for me to get Teak, I said that I would take some.

Well, a number of things, including a two week trip to Europe, and a request from my son that I help him get some things done at his computer store, put me Way behind on turning the gifts from Nick, Stu, and ANDY's "Fuzzy" offering.

I can't promise when I will get the others done, but I have at least got Stu's blanks cut and ready to drill. Another problem is that my 7mm drill suddenly seemed to be drilling undersize. I picked up a new one today, which should help.

Last night I got a diagonally cut Teak pen turned. It really shows off the grain.

Thanks, Nick and thanks for looking.

Bruce

Barry Stratton
08-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Nice pen and GREAT post, Bruce! I agree that Creekers are a very generous with the wood group! Best group of folks I've never met!

Corey Hallagan
08-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Cool Bruce, great looking pen!

corey

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Nice pen Bruce. I got some of the teak also. It is a dream to turn. Great job.

Ernie Nyvall
08-05-2006, 8:17 AM
Nice pen Bruce. So how does the Teak turn?

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-05-2006, 3:37 PM
Ernie, Teak is a little grabby and likes to chip out a little, but, if you rub the bevel hard, you can get a gloss without sanding. did a second one this morning and will post is later. No sanding AT ALL on this one.

Bruce

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-06-2006, 1:19 PM
Very nice looking pen, Bruce. And without sanding! Wow! Talk about some wonderful tool control.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Sorry Henry, didn't get to post the "UNSANDED"/ Burnished pen. This one HAS been sanded to 4000 before finishing with four coast of French Polish.

Spent all day driving to Southern Illinois and back to pick up a sister-in law, who's gong to spend about 10 days with us. She came in from Philly with some folks that are participating in the "Grant American" Trap Shooting , outside Sparta, Illinois.

Will try to post it tomorrow, along with an unusual finish to a pen, and a commission that (Dare I say it) is definitely NOT spinny, but, being the money grubbing sudo-artist I am, couldn't pass up.

Bruce