PDA

View Full Version : How long for BLO to dry before putting a clear coat over it?

Mark Rios
08-04-2006, 8:34 PM
What the title says, please? Does it need to "cure" before clear coating it or just be dry?

I'll be wiping it on with a rag. I would like to put MinWax spray Poly over it.

The material is African Mahogany plywood edge banded with African Mahogany hardwood.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Doug Shepard
08-04-2006, 8:42 PM
I like to wait a week if I can although I've done it after 3-4 days without any problem. It might be doable sooner, I just haven't tried it based on a few odd experiences that others have had. I've put Minwax wipe-on poly directly over BLO without any problems but normally I put a coat of dewaxed shellac over the BLO first.

Matt Meiser
08-04-2006, 8:46 PM
I followed a similar finish schedule on Mahogany for a buffet I built a year ago for my brother. Like Doug recommended to you, I used shellac betwen the BLO and poly (wipe on) and I think I only waited 2 days between blo and shellac. I just saw the buffet last week and it still looks good, so it worked.

Jim Becker
08-04-2006, 9:43 PM
'Depends on what you plan on putting over it. You can do a seal coat of shellac (I only use de-waxed for maximum finish compatibility) in just 2-3 days. BLO generally takes about 5-7 days to cure, but your nose is the key. If you can still smell it, it's still curing. If you are not using the shellac, I suggest you wait for more of a full cure before top-coating.

Chris Padilla
08-08-2006, 4:42 PM
Why top-coat it?? It'll just make finish repair that much harder! ;)

Howard Acheson
08-08-2006, 8:24 PM
Why top-coat it?? It'll just make finish repair that much harder! ;)

BLO oil offers no water, watervapor or abrasion resistance. In addition, it must be frequently re-applied to maintain any sort of appearence. I consider BLO a treatment for coloring, not a finish.