PDA

View Full Version : Turning a peppergrinder....what finish?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2006, 4:22 PM
I've got some walnut and a pepper grinder mechanism. What finish would you use on it?

Shellac.........friction polish.......wax...........blo...........danish oil..........

Advice please!

Thanks...

Forrest Price
08-04-2006, 4:36 PM
Hey Ken, a good finish for something handled that much is a combo of BLO/poly/wax. Warm it up till it all blends together and save it. Makes for a nice finish that can handle the use, and shines up pretty. Of course, I'm sure you'll get lots of other replies too. Just wanted to throw out an idea.

Andy Hoyt
08-04-2006, 4:43 PM
I would think that the exterior could be pretty much whatever you want to achieve the look you want.

But it's the interior of these things that has always baffled me. With the shaking, bumping, and grinding occuring within I can't see any finish holding up over time. Would obviously have to be food safe. Perhaps no finish on the interior is the way to go; as long as the wood itself can't be considered an irritant.

I may be thinking in extremes, but who knows?

Corey Hallagan
08-04-2006, 4:55 PM
I agree with Andy, with the outside portion I think your favorite finish that you like will work. For the interior of the grinder does the pepper actually contact the wood or is it self contained in the mechanism? I would think no finish is better here myself.

Corey

Chris Barton
08-04-2006, 5:06 PM
Inside = nothing

Outside I would probably use water based poly. By the way, once dry all finishes are food safe...

Mike Vickery
08-04-2006, 5:17 PM
All right I am going against the crowd here. I say make a flap sander to sand out the inside blow out the dust real good and use shellac to finish the inside. Shellac is food safe and is used to wax fruit and as the disolvable coating on medecine.

For the outside do what ever you want I personally would use BLO then a wiping poly.

Ed Scolforo
08-04-2006, 6:17 PM
I've got some walnut and a pepper grinder mechanism. What finish would you use on it?

Shellac.........friction polish.......wax...........blo...........danish oil..........

Advice please!

Thanks...

Ken, personally, I wouldn't put any finish on the mechanism :D .

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2006, 6:29 PM
Ken, personally, I wouldn't put any finish on the mechanism :D .

Touche~.......:D

Terry Quiram
08-04-2006, 6:40 PM
Minwax wipe on poly for the outside. Nothing or shellac on the inside.

Terry

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2006, 6:53 PM
Beautiful Terry! Minwax wipe on poly it is! Thanks for posting the photos!

Blake McCully
08-05-2006, 9:07 AM
Ken,
I use nothing on the inside, blow it out good to remove the dust. As I have said before, I only sand to 400 and buff with all three wheels. A peppermill will, or should be, handled a lot, therefore, I don't believe multiple coats of anything will look good after a year or so. Check out some restaurants that offer cracked pepper and see how terrible many of the mills look.

Here is my latest one, maple 11 1/2" tall, uses the ceramic crush mechanism.