PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Moved In / Pegboard Question

Jason Christenson
08-04-2006, 4:15 PM
This morning I got all of my big machinery moved into my soon to be shop. I still have a ways to go but I'm getting there. I'm trying to figure out the best way to put in some pegboard and other storage. I'm dealing with poured concrete walls and am wondering about suspending stuff from the floor joists or even using some kind of adhesive. Any suggestions?

Jason

Corey Hallagan
08-04-2006, 4:49 PM
Jason, if it were me I would use a french cleat held by anchors in the wall. You could build a 2 x 2 framed panel and place the pegboard on it and hang it on the french cleat. Any cabinets installed I would put on a french cleat I think as well. I am sure others will have other ideas. As far as the poured concrete the anchors would work just fine on it. That is going to make a nice shop for you!

Corey

Chris Barton
08-04-2006, 5:12 PM
I agree with Corey on the French cleat idea. The other thing I would do is replace the bare bulb light recepticals with 4 outlet grounded plug recepticals and then suspend about 8 of the 4' floresent double tube lights you can get from the borgs. Make sure to get good quality tubes for the lights. Look for the ones advertised as "true color" types. It will make so much difference you wouldn't believe it. Also, buy the pegboard that is white and 1/4". I have used that in most of one of my shop rooms. Helps reflect the light.

Jason Christenson
08-04-2006, 5:30 PM
Um...French cleat?

Jeff Horton
08-04-2006, 7:02 PM
Board with an angle cut (http://www.newwoodworker.com/frenchcleat.html) on it. :)

It doesn't look strong at all but it is. I just about the point of building some wall cabinets and perhaps some pegboard. I think I am going to mount everything on french cleats all at the same height. So if I rearrange I can move then around no problem.

Tyler Howell
08-04-2006, 7:18 PM
FCs work great. Did the whole shop.:cool:

Corey Hallagan
08-04-2006, 8:15 PM
That's a good idea on the white pegboard. That would make a big difference in my shop. Might have to give that some thought... thanks Chris!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Evening Jason.

When I finished off my basement, I had just seen a commercial method that made sense.

Basically, after stapling a plastic Vapor barrior to the floor plate and letting it hang to the floor, you take a 2X4 and nail/ screw it Wide side to the floor plate and set another on the floor.

Next you take 2X2's Space them on 16" centers and nail/screw them to the face of the two 2X4's. Install them so that any bow is towards the concrete wall. Cut small blocks of 2X2 from waste and place them evenly spaced, between the 2X2's and the concrete wall, 3 per upright (Glue or nail them in place). At the top and bottom, between the uprights, center and install 12" pieces of 2X2, so that there is a little gap between them and the uprights.

Next, you rough in your Electrical Circuits and plumbing. You can use the gaps so that you don't have to drill any holes for the wires or pipe. Install any insulation (Foam seems to work best.)

Now, for the wall covering. Instead of pegboard, I suggest Slotboard. It is much stronger and more versital. It is more expensive, but I believe you will be happier with it.

If this is Not understandable, and you are interested in it, PM me and I'll try to explain it better.

Bruce

Ben Grunow
08-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I might just screw a 2x4 to the bottom of the joists (flat) with the face of the 2x about 1/4" proud of a line plumbed up from the masonry. THen screw some more 2x4's (every 24" on the flat) with another across the bottoms and resting on the floor. Then you can plywood, pegboard, lumber rackand cabinet your shop to death. Just a cheap method of building a wall with some strength and not so thick that it takes away more space than you are willing to give up. Some anchors into the brick occasionally if stud is bowed the wrong way or something heavy must be mounted. Good luck.

Jason Christenson
08-07-2006, 9:05 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'll give the French cleats a shot. Any suggestion as far as what type of anchors to use. I've never mounted anything to concrete before.

Jason