PDA

View Full Version : Addition Progress

Mark J Bachler
08-04-2006, 3:52 PM
Well, between kitchens, I have made some progress on the shop addition. 1st let me state that my friend Craig works at a steel fab company. Thats the reason for this type of construction. His bid was nearly 3k less than stick built. Pic #1 shows the steel posts & 2x4 cross members. We will be addind a 4x4 steel channel with double 2x4s to the top for the sissor trusses to set on. Pic #2 shows how the 2x4s attach to the posts. Pic #3 shows the steel cross members that will support 3" steel channels 2' o.c.for the upper floor to set on. Are we confused yet? I'll add pics as it progresses.

Jim Becker
08-04-2006, 4:00 PM
I don't think it's going to fall down all by itself, Mark! Very nice. Keep posting in the thread with progress pictures as they become available!

Chris Padilla
08-04-2006, 4:51 PM
Excellent! I love to see alternatives to stick-frame.

Marty Walsh
08-04-2006, 5:16 PM
Mark,

That sure looks like it's going to be sturdy! After all the framing I've done for my shop, I wonder how the steel work would have compared from a pure 'effort' perspective. I imagine it goes up quicker than stick built. But I wonder if I could have handled the steel alone.

Please do keep posting pics as you progress. I'd love to watch.

Thanks...
- Marty -

Mark J Bachler
08-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Trusses are up!! We welded a 4" angle to the top of the vertical posts & bolted a double 2x4 header to it to attach the scissor trusses to.. The 2nd story floor sits on 3" steel channel welded to the cross members. We also have added nailers to the ctr. wall since I took the pic. Hope I never have to tear this down

tod evans
08-11-2006, 2:05 PM
lookin` good mark! you should have `er in the dry shortly....tod

Jochen Schroecker
08-17-2006, 3:25 AM
Hey Mark,
Your place is changing so fast I´m afraid I will not recognice it the next time I come to visit you! I will probably just miss the turn and end up in the north somewhere!
Give Jane a kiss (if she let you get so close..)

Yoman

Marty Walsh
08-17-2006, 7:19 AM
Trusses are up!! We welded a 4" angle to the top of the vertical posts & bolted a double 2x4 header to it to attach the scissor trusses to.. The 2nd story floor sits on 3" steel channel welded to the cross members. We also have added nailers to the ctr. wall since I took the pic. Hope I never have to tear this down

Mark,

Congrats on getting your trusses set. Denise and I just got ours set Tuesday, so we can relate. Too bad we're not closer to one another, we could be helping each other...;)

Keep up the great work.
- Marty -

Mark J Bachler
09-16-2006, 4:56 PM
Hey Mark,
Your place is changing so fast I´m afraid I will not recognice it the next time I come to visit you! I will probably just miss the turn and end up in the north somewhere!
Give Jane a kiss (if she let you get so close..)

Yoman

HHHaaaaaaaa Yoman!!!!
You better come visit soon my friend, I need the help. I've been so busy I just checked this thread today & here you are. Here's a more recent pic so you will remember. All I need are stairs up to the office (bar) .

Jayne who?????

Jim Becker
09-16-2006, 5:32 PM
'Looking good, Mark!!

Corey Hallagan
09-16-2006, 6:48 PM
That's going to be a nice shop Mark. Keep us updated!

corey

tod evans
09-17-2006, 12:39 PM
you`re not getting off that easy mark:rolleyes: where`s the new tour pics? tod

scott spencer
09-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Lucky you Mark! Keep up the good work!

Mark J Bachler
09-18-2006, 9:31 AM
you`re not getting off that easy mark:rolleyes: where`s the new tour pics? tod

Haven't picked up the spray booth yet so the addition is fairly empty. I found a 5' spray booth with explosion proof lights & fan for $500. I'm going to remodel it into a 10'. Hopefully have it in by the end of the week.

tod evans
09-18-2006, 9:34 AM
cool! pics and a gloat, looking forward to seeing what you`ve built..tod

lou sansone
09-18-2006, 12:59 PM
congrats on the new addition. how about a few interior photos
best wishes
lou

Mark J Bachler
09-18-2006, 9:21 PM
congrats on the new addition. how about a few interior photos
best wishes
lou

I'll post pics of the addition interior as soon as I get the spray booth in. Here's a link to a web shots site for the rest of the shop.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/129991425pgGlkG?start=0

Mark J Bachler
02-10-2007, 9:21 PM
I had to take some pics for my business insurance provider so I thought I post a few of the addition progress. Picked up a 5' Binks spray booth for the finishing area. I still have to insulate the finishing area & the storage room which I keep closed off until I need them.

Mark J Bachler
02-10-2007, 9:24 PM
And a couple of the inside.

David Wambolt
02-10-2007, 9:28 PM
Really nice Mark. I'm jealous!

David Cramer
02-10-2007, 9:37 PM
Very impressive shop Mark!!! Well done on all accounts. Congrads!

Dave

Jim Becker
02-10-2007, 9:40 PM
Things are looking good, Mark!!