PDA

View Full Version : Bed footboard and headboard joints

Michael Merrill
08-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm building a king bed using solid maple. I glued up material for the bed rails and footboard legs thus far. No problems with the rails as I'm using Rockler bed rail hardware so not jointery needed.

My question is as I'm ready to join the legs and footboard, I'm not sure on what joint to use due to the size of the project. The legs are 2 5/8 square by 14", the footboard stretcher is 77 1/2" by 7". My initail thoughts were to use loose mortice and tennon, like I've done on a recent table. The problem is getting the mortice in the end of the stretcher.:confused: I would have to stand it on end and work 77" high with a plunger router on top of my mortice jig.:eek: So what to do?

Is there another easy way to get my mortices into the stretchers?
I could go to dowels, but wouldn't think that is as good a joint?
Standard mortice and tennon might work but I've never done any and have no proper equipment.
Other ideas?

Steve Schoene
08-04-2006, 11:13 AM
The tenons on the rails can be done on a table saw, preferable with a dado blade. You need a sturdy crosscut sled, and a support for the ends.

Alternatively, you could use a router the same way. Just clamp a guide across the side of the rail and use the router to create the tenon . You just have to be precise in aligning the guide to be square and at the same position all the way round the rail.

Michael Merrill
08-04-2006, 11:22 AM
I did consider your router method, thought maybe to build a jig that was a "box" that I could slide over the stretcher and clamp in place and then not have to move it to cut the sides, just flip the work piece.

Also, thinking I might be able to hang the workpiece off my deck that ajoins my second floor, clamp it in place and then work on the mortices with my jig and router there?

Still not sure which way to go.

Bob Childress
08-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Michael,

I feel your pain. For those of us without a horizontal borer of some kind these operations can be a real PITA. And if you cut standard tenons and make one slip, there goes a lot of good maple.:(

Frankly, that's the main reason I have not yet tackled making a bed. Although it is no consolation to you at this point, the operation you described will take about 5 minutes (maybe less) using the Festool Domino when it is available. :mad: Meanwhile, Steve's suggestion has a lot of merit. Good luck.:)

Marlow Wilson
08-04-2006, 11:34 AM
If you have the extra few inches of length on the stretchers to cut the tenons the table saw option is how I'd go. Otherwise the deck option would sure bring a smile to you everytime you went to bed. Plus you gave me another reason to build a balcony... "honey it's for the shop"...

Cheers,

Marlow

Michael Merrill
08-04-2006, 12:06 PM
I do have some extra length on the strecher for a tennon so I could go that route. I really don't want the extra work of squaring the mortice but that might have to happen after all, shouldn't be too bad as it's only six mortices for the project, two sets for the upper and lower points of the head board.

Kyle Kraft
08-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Round the edges of the tenon to match the router bit diameter.

Michael Merrill
08-04-2006, 2:54 PM
What would be the easiest way to round off the tenons? I assume by hand?

Bob Childress
08-04-2006, 3:36 PM
I've rounded them off with a rasp followed by sandpaper. Take a little off, try 'em, take a little more off. Sneak up on it. I did 8 or 10 and they took about 7-10 minutes each to get them right. Not too bad.:)