PDA

View Full Version : A couple small bowls

Barry Stratton
08-04-2006, 2:33 AM
Nothing fancy, but I feel like I'm making some progress.......in the right direction, even!

Bowls were turned green, put thru the DNA bath in May, and finished tonight. They are about 3" wide, the Osage Orange is about 1 1/2" tall, the "dunno" wood is about 2 1/2" tall.

O.O. was soaked in BLO, then heavily lacquered and waxed. The pictures don't do the 3D effect justice!

Dunno wood is just BLO'd. I'll probably lacquer it off the lathe to make it shine. The grain is really wild on this piece.

Comments, especially critiques, welcome!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-04-2006, 5:19 AM
.................Comments, especially critiques, welcome!

You suck!!

.......... oh wait, you wanted those comments to be about the bowls.... ;)

Look good, love the colors!

I think you are making forward progress at that, in fact I can see it in the work!

Great job!

Do you still have possession of them, or have they been claimed yet? :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Raymond Overman
08-04-2006, 7:21 AM
Good job Barry. That osage can be a bear sometimes but turns out some beautiful pieces.

Mark Cothren
08-04-2006, 7:28 AM
Nice bowls, Barry! Great lookin' wood, too! Looks like you have a couple of winners there to me! Keep 'em coming....:D

Keith Burns
08-04-2006, 8:20 AM
Great pair of bowls Barry. I really like the form on the "dunno" piece. Keep up the good work:) :)

Corey Hallagan
08-04-2006, 8:20 AM
Nice work Barry, the bowls look great!

Corey

Dennis Peacock
08-04-2006, 9:03 AM
Barry,

Good job on both. :D Looks like you've been spending some quality time with the spinny thang. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Barry those are a couple of beauties. You did a nice job on them. Keep'em coming.

Cecil Arnold
08-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Barry, nice job on the bowls. The dunno looks a lot like elm to me.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Barry..........A couple of beauties! I sure like the grain going on in both of them! Nice work!

Mike Vickery
08-04-2006, 1:30 PM
I like them both especially the mystery wood.
If I had to make a critique the form on the Osage bowl looks slightly off to me.
Form is a personal preference so this is just my amatuer opinion. If it was me I would have tried to narrow it at the base a little more for a more sweeping effect. Maybe narrow it ever so slightly at the top as well so that the rim is not the widest part of the bowl. The sweep of the wall looks a little flat to me.
Every time I get a bowl that would go in the trash (cut through bottom, large crack, ect) I paint it with white primer and stick it on a shelf to compare the different forms for what I think is pleaseing. It is amaseing how the subtle differences in esentially the same form can make a big difference in the overall astetics.
I hope that you do not take this the wrong way, I do not mean it to take away from your great work. Russ Fairfield has an article out on the internet on pleasing form that I found very helpfull. I do not think they allow us to post links to other forums but if you Google "russ fairfield pleasing forms" it should come up as the first link.

Barry Stratton
08-04-2006, 2:05 PM
Thanks for the comments folks (even yours Stu!!!). I really like that osage stuff, despite its hardness.

And Mike - PERFECT comments - and I agree. The Osage bowl is "flat". I roughed out a larger Osage bowl last night with more of a "curve to it. Will post it if and when it survives the DNA/DRY/me turning it process!!

Thanks again folks!

Jim Ketron
08-04-2006, 5:10 PM
Nice Job Barry!
I agree with Mike, I also like a more rounded bowl over a flat bottom bowl but thats my prefrence. can't wait to see the one your working on now!

I think its great you are asking for critiques IMO that is the perfect way to learn what others think about your work and what can be improved on and make adjustments to your work to make them better.

Tom Sherman
08-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Barry I like them both, great figure in both bowls and nice forms as well.

Ernie Nyvall
08-05-2006, 7:47 AM
Nice work Barry. I agree with Mike and Jim about the Osage. Looking better and better. Keep it up.

Ernie

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Great looking work, Barry. Although some may say the Osage bowl is a bit on the flat side, I'd call that a perfect shape for nuts, dips, or other similar items.