PDA

View Full Version : Union Planes? Any Good for Use?

Kevin Blunt
08-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Hello. What can anyone tell me about planes made by Union. One gentleman told me they were the same as a Stanley/Bailey. Are they worth owning as a good user if they are in good shape? I tried to do a google search but didn't come up with much. Thanks for any info. There is a union plane for sale from another forumite (no. 6c) and am wondering if it is worth venturing into trying these planes. I basically just try to buy older stanleys as I am building my collection of users and can't afford to pay LN/LV prices. By the way, if anyone is interested I am in the hunt for a Nice 6C user plane.

Tyler Howell
08-04-2006, 9:00 AM
There are so many old users out there at reasonable prices. Do your home work. They aren't plug and play, but good stuff.

You don't have to do the LV/LN route buuuuuuttttttt. Once you been there little else will satisfy:D

Jeff Horton
08-04-2006, 9:08 AM
Yes they made good stuff. Stanely just managed to corner the market. As Tyler pointed out, most planes need fettling (tuning) before they work real good. I have a Lakeside #3 that I love. never see many Lakesides but it really good plane. of course it has been tuned very well too.

Mark Singer
08-04-2006, 9:14 AM
My compass plane is Union and its very nice...like a Stanley...looks identical

tod evans
08-04-2006, 9:32 AM
kevin, i agree that union made good planes, should be no problem to get it performing well....tod

Roger Bell
08-04-2006, 11:11 AM
The ordinary Union bench planes are pretty much on par with the Bailey pattern.

However, the "X pattern" Unions, with their double adjusting nuts are perhaps a bit superior to the Baileys in terms of holding their adjustment with no slop. The frogs are fixed....i.e. integral to the bed casting. An unusual pattern and worth owning one if priced right.

Bill Moser
08-12-2006, 8:45 PM
I have a Union 411 circular plane, which is the equivalent of a Stanley
113. Its a good plane, works well -- I bought it over a stanley because
the price was right (113's go for a lot more $$). In the overall scheme of
things, Union seems to be a "copycat" company, whereas Stanley was more
like the MicroSoft of their age, buying out the little guys with the good
ideas.

Steve Clardy
08-12-2006, 9:27 PM
Hello. What can anyone tell me about planes made by Union. One gentleman told me they were the same as a Stanley/Bailey. Are they worth owning as a good user if they are in good shape? I tried to do a google search but didn't come up with much. Thanks for any info. There is a union plane for sale from another forumite (no. 6c) and am wondering if it is worth venturing into trying these planes. I basically just try to buy older stanleys as I am building my collection of users and can't afford to pay LN/LV prices. By the way, if anyone is interested I am in the hunt for a Nice 6C user plane.

Kevin. Did you get my Pm about the #6's

James Owen
08-21-2006, 7:13 PM
Hello. What can anyone tell me about planes made by Union....By the way, if anyone is interested I am in the hunt for a Nice 6C user plane.

Kevin,

I have an old tuned-up Union #6 C that I've been using for about a year or so. It compares very favorably with my vintage Stanleys. In fact, when I need a panel plane sized plane, this is one of two planes I automatically reach for (the other is an old Stanley #5-1/2 C). IME, great planes!

James