PDA

View Full Version : First segmented bowl

Sparky Paessler
09-28-2003, 2:15 PM
Well here it is my first segmented bowl. I made it up out of some walnut and cherry that I had. It is 8 1/4" across and 3 1/2" tall. Made several mistakes on it and learned a lot. Thanks for looking!

Jim Becker
09-28-2003, 3:07 PM
Kewel! Very nice effort...it's a winner.

Jim Baker
09-28-2003, 6:59 PM
Nice job, Sparky.

John Miliunas
09-28-2003, 7:08 PM
Gee Sparky, I wish my "mistakes" looked that good!

Brad Schafer
09-28-2003, 8:21 PM
wow, that's really thin! nicely done,

b

Tom Sweeney
09-28-2003, 8:50 PM
That is sharp. Sparky - there are no mistakes in that beauty from where I'm sitting.

when I'm ready to try a segmented turning I hope it comes out half as nice. Thanks for posting!

Bob Lasley
09-28-2003, 9:42 PM
Sparky,

I've made enough mistakes to be pretty good at recognizing them and I don't see any. You're either awfully good at fixing them or your yanking our chain!

Nice work,
Bob

Sparky Paessler
09-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words.
As far as the mistakes. They just don't show up in the photo's real well.
I didn't get the bottom layer of walnut centered with the other layers so when you look down into the bowl the segments do not meet in the center of the bowl. I also turned to large a recess in the foot for my Nova chuck with the standard jaws on it.(The only ones I have.) The walnut layer was 3/4 thick so I thought i would just turn it down and do it again and that way I could make the bead on the foot the same thickness as the walnut which worked great except when I was finishing up turning the inside. The cherry segments did not meet in the center because I had planned on the bottom of the bowl being down into the walnut. After cutting off the too large foot and cutting a new one the bottom of the bowl ended up only about 1/16" thick and being segments they wanted to fly apart. After lots of super glue I was able to salvage the bowl. I will also admit that some of the joints between segments were not as tight as they should be as I rushed thru glue up so I used some filler on them. I have another set of segments glued up so I will try again. I love seeing all the work posted here. It's what inspired me to clean up the old lath and give it a try.

Ted Shrader
09-29-2003, 12:45 PM
Sparky -

Nice wood contrast. Flows well with the design. Very well done!

Ted

Glenn Hodges
09-29-2003, 1:02 PM
Sparky, I like the contrasting colors, and the design. My wife told me
to quit pointing out my mistakes, maybe you ought to listen to my wife.
I think you did a great job, especially for a first time.