PDA

View Full Version : Any good recipes for smoked Beef Briscuit?

Joe Mioux
08-03-2006, 8:36 PM
I know that some of you are really really good bbq chefs.....

I need some help. We are having a small dinner party next weekend. In the freezer we have a beef briscuit, as well some t-bones and ribeyes.

We buy quarter beefs from the locals.

Anyway, this beef briscuit seems like the right size to feed 7 adults plus some kids.

What are you favorite recipes. I have several options for cooking. Gas Grill, Charcoal Grill or Smoker.

I think the smoker is the best bet for this, tell me what your favorites recipes are.

thanks
joe

Mark Singer
08-03-2006, 9:05 PM
You will need a good brisquit jointer:rolleyes:

Mark Rios
08-03-2006, 9:12 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

I think I saw one on sale at Amazon just this afternoon.

:D :D :D

VERY good Mr. Singer

Joe Mioux
08-03-2006, 9:15 PM

I am dying ...... ROFL:D :) :) :) :) :)

Don Baer
08-03-2006, 9:22 PM
here you go

1 (4-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Mesquite wood chips

Set the brisket on a large sheet of plastic wrap. In a medium bowl combine the dark brown sugar, chili power, paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne, dry mustard, and cumin thoroughly. Rub the mixture onto the brisket and wrap tightly in the plastic wrap. Place on a baking sheet and let marinate refrigerated at least 6 hours or overnight. Remove the meat from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
Soak mesquite wood chips in a large bowl of water for 1 to 2 hours. Remove, drain and set aside.
Remove the meat from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Prepare a smoker with charcoal and the wood chips according to the manufacturer's instructions to 180 to 200 degrees F. Place the water pan in the smoker and add water to the fill line, about 2/3 full. Place the unwrapped brisket on the lower rack off the direct heat, close the lid, and cook, regularly stoking the fire and adding additional chips, until an instant-read thermometer registers an internal temperature of 140 to 145 degrees F., about 4 to 5 hours. Remove the meat from the grill and let rest for 20 minutes before carving the meat against the grain.

Don Baer
08-03-2006, 9:31 PM
Note. These recipies are from Emeril Legasse. I have fixed it and it come out great.

Barbecue Sauce:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup chopped yellow onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons cane syrup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, cane syrup, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, Essence, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the flavors marry, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly before serving.
Yield: about 4 cups

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup

Joe Pelonio
08-04-2006, 8:31 AM
There's always been a controversy over brine vs dry rub. I do both at time, but here's my brine recipe:

1/2 cup plain (non-iodized) salt
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon paprika
6 cloves garlic, smashed
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 chopped green onions
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups water
1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
Soak in brine at least overnight in fridge (non-metal container).
Pat with paper towels and let air dry an hour.

Then put on grill over high heat and sear both sides, about 5 min/side
lower heat and put on burner that's off (indirect method) cover BBQ and
cook 6-8 hours depending on size. Inside BBQ Temp should be 225-250F.
Slice against the grain.

Mark Singer
08-04-2006, 8:37 AM
This one is an old kosher recipe from Grandma Google:rolleyes:

Boiled FlankenPrep: 10 min, Cook: 2:00.
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
2-1/4 lbs. lean meaty flanken
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
4 celery leaves
4 sprigs parsley
6 whole black peppercorns
4 cups beef stock or water, or a combination of the two
Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium high heat. Brown flanken 2 minutes per side. Drain off fat. Add next 6 ingredients and salt to taste. Pour in the stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently 2 hours, or until the flanken is very tender and comes away from the bones. Strain broth and discard vegetables. Serve flanken with broth. This recipe serves 8 people. Due to the nature of this recipe, it adjusts the number of servings in multiples of 8 only.

Al Willits
08-04-2006, 1:18 PM
Like to fry it in a pan and put peanut butter over it...

JUST KIDDING...:D

We don't make it very often, but I have rubbed Famous Daves Rib rub over it and slow cooked it on the grill, then just before its done basted it with my own BBQ sauce, shredded and put over burger buns.
Pretty basic, but tastes good.

Make have to try one of Don's recipies, minus about half the peppers...:)

Al

Joe Pelonio
08-04-2006, 1:53 PM
Like to fry it in a pan and put peanut butter over it...

JUST KIDDING...:D

Al

Al, you're not that far off, see this recipeg, a safer way of working.
Ask the questions you have, and read the posts on this forum. very often a question asked by someone else will be close to something you may have wondered, or will stir a question of your own. There will also be questions asked for which you will have input.
The key to any forum that works is supporting each other regardless of the current skill level. Everyone is growing and learning new things about woodworking. Doing it together is more fun, and safer.

Add 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil to a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot mixture and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to color, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the cumin and coriander and ground chile. Sauté until aromatic, 3 to 4 minutes, adding more oil if necessary.
4. Reduce the heat to low and add the coconut milk, broth, brown sugar, lime juice, and fish sauce. Stir well to mix with seasonings. Stir in the peanut butter. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Taste and add more sugar or fish sauce if needed.
Part 2 - The Beef Saté
Ingredients
Peanut Sauce (see above)
2 pounds beef flank steak, pork loin, or boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Marinade
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted
6cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/4 cup minced onion
1 tablespoon tamarind paste or lime juice
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3 tablespoons peanut oil
Instructions
Prepare the Peanut Sauce one or two days ahead and refrigerate. Slice the beef across the grain into about 1/8-inch-thick strips.
Prepare the marinade: Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well to dissolve the sugar.
Submerge the beef in the marinade and stir well to coat. Let the meat marinate for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Meanwhile, soak the bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes (this will keep them from burning during cooking).
Prepare the skewers: Thread 1 or more pieces of beef, depending on the size of the piece, on each skewer. Lay them flat on a tray and pour any remaining marinade over them.
Preheat the broiler or grill to medium. Grill skewers 1 to 2 minutes per side until cooked through. Serve immediately with warmed sauce for dipping. These skewers can be held in a 225ºF oven, wrapped in foil, for up to 25 minutes before serving.

Ed Breen
08-05-2006, 3:11 PM
Joe,
In our house we trim some of the fat from the brisket, put a package of liptons onion soup on top of it, add a cup of water, wrap it in foil, stick it in the oven at bedtime at 225 degrees. Next morning we cut it and its ready to be served.
Ed

Ernie Nyvall
08-05-2006, 5:58 PM
Joe, mine is a bit simple, because I don't care "sweet" to be cooked into the beef. A mildy sweet BBQ sauce after cooked is okay, just not the meet itself. If I marinade, it's about four beers, a 1/2 cup of no sugar soy sauce, and some red pepper if you like it hot. Oh, only one beer is for the mixture.:D Let it sit wraped over night. There are several good dry rubs out there, just don't use one with big chunks or it will stick and burn to the meat. Regular salt and white pepper is good too. If you have one of those can type smokers, make sure you put the water pan in. I keep my smoker at 180

Ernie Nyvall
08-05-2006, 6:10 PM
Joe, mine is a bit simple, because I don't care "sweet" to be cooked into the beef. A mildly sweet BBQ sauce after cooked is okay, just not the meet itself. If I marinade, it's about four beers, a 1/2 cup of no sugar soy sauce, and some red pepper if you like it hot. Oh, only one beer is for the mixture.:D Let it sit wrapped over night. There are several good dry rubs out there, just don't use one with big chunks or it will stick and burn to the meat. Regular salt and white pepper is good too. If you have one of those can type smokers, make sure you put the water pan in. I keep my smoker at 180 and for about 5 hrs using mesquite. If no mesquite, then hickory, then pecan, then any oak. If you want it real tender, you can take it off the smoker after about 4 hrs, wrap it in foil, and put in the oven at 180 for an hour.
If you want a real deep smoke in the meat, regulate the smoker between 150 and 175 and cook for about 8 hrs. This is pretty strong though and some don't care for it. You do need to make sure the smoke is constant.