PDA

View Full Version : Question on Harbor Freight Spray Gun

Lincoln Myers
08-03-2006, 5:38 PM
Has anyone here used this spray gun from Harbor Freight?

I'm thinking about buying it and trying it with Shellac on a White Oak bunk bed that I'm building.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=93312

Thanks for any input,

-Linc

Alex Berkovsky
08-03-2006, 8:49 PM
Linc,
I don't think that's an HVLP gun. Do you have a compressor and just looking for a sprayer? If you're looking for a complete kit and don't want to spend a fortune, consider this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44677). A couple of members, including myself own it, and have positive reviews. I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but it does go on sale quite often.

Allen Bookout
08-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Lincoln,

I probably should not reply as I do not know anything about that gun but you said "any input" so here goes. When I saw a pressure pot, hoses, and gun for that price the only thing that I could think of was, a waste of money and much frustration. I say no to that "deal".

Since you evidently already have a compressor I would consider spending a little more and getting a pretty good gun and not chance messing up that oak furniture piece that you worked so hard to get just right. Tod Evans, who is a professional woodworker and a member here, steared me to a gun that he uses in his shop (five of them in fact). It is the Porter Cable PSH1. I just got one a couple of weeks ago and did some test spraying. It puts out a really nice pattern and I think that it might be just what you are looking for as it does not cost an arm and a leg. It is a gravity feed and not a pressure pot if you can use that for what you want to do. I am sure that there are other good options but if you want to take a look here is a link.

Good Luck! Allen

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005R1IK/sr=1-1/qid=1154658239/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6316260-5112033?ie=UTF8&s=hi

P.S. Spraygunworld.com has some pretty good deals but may be getting into more money that you want to spend for a test run. Take a look at the Astro line. Pretty good guns at reasonable prices.

Charlie Plesums
08-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I also have been pleased with the Porter Cable PSH-1 which is a HVLP conversion gun that runs on a regular compressor. I understand Harbor Freight has a knock-off of it, but I am not sure which one it is.

I would avoid any gun that isn't HVLP. I have a couple that I never use any more, and a small regular Harbor Freight touch up gun that I use in tight places,but the amount of overspray is amazing after you get used to HVLP.

tod evans
08-04-2006, 8:35 AM
lincoln, an air tip for a binks cost more than that whole shebang.....02 tod

Terre Hooks
08-04-2006, 8:41 AM
Lincoln,

I don't know anything about that HF gun, but for your intended purpose, I would go with the 43430 gun from HF, if you have a compressor.

The 43430 is just too easy to use not to consider it. I have it, along with many others. You can be up and running in 5 minutes. Here is how I clean mine-

Spray it dry
Pour in 1/2 of the appropriate solvent
Swish it around
Spray it dry on cardboard
Pour in about 1/4 solvent and spray dry
Take the gun apart and wipe down with a portion of a rag soak in solvent and let it all air dry. Re-assemble and it's ready for another round of shellac, varnish, etc.

Always hang the gun up from the hanger when not spraying and when re-assembled after dry.

tod evans
08-04-2006, 8:59 AM
terre, how many gallons have you sprayed through your hf gun? and what finishes? personally i`ve had very bad luck using the inexpensive paint equipment, but i spray over 100 gallons a year. for the budget minded steve-n-charlie have had good luck with the p/c gravity fed hvlp units. i`ve had the same binks m1g for 7-8 years with no trouble and expect it to live another 10 yrs at the rate i use it. everybody approaches things differently but my advice regardless of the type of tool is pretty consistant; buy good stuff once, if for some reason later on you have no use for the tool you should be able to recoup at least 50% of your money when you sell it. .02 tod

Ernie Hobbs
08-04-2006, 9:24 AM
Here's another vote for the Porter Cable Gravity Feed gun. I had the type with the canister underneath the gun a few years ago and just couldn't get it right. It was frustrating when I spent all this time making a piece of furniture, just to have the finish look bad. The gravity feed gun is very easy and hard to mess up. I think I paid about $70 a few years ago at Lowes for mine but, I've seen the Grizzly equivalent for much less recently.

Allen Bookout
08-04-2006, 9:26 AM
I'm sorry tod. Maybe it was Steve that had all of the PSH1 guns. I now remember that you use the Binks. Allen

tod evans
08-04-2006, 9:29 AM
I'm sorry tod. Maybe it was Steve that had all of the PSH1 guns. I now remember that you use the Binks. Allen

no reason to appoligize allen! all is well:)

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I've had that one and was quite surprised that it worked quite well spraying lacquer. Not as much 'adjustment' capability as the much more expensive units, but it does a decent job. I lost a part to it and bought the 'next step up' HF unit...I think it goes for like $69 regular price. It's a bit better than the cheapie, but again...the cheapie will work if you keep it clean (and don't lose the parts). Get the one that does NOT have the black teflon lining in the pot....

KC

Lincoln Myers
08-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the comments. I will be (hopefully) finishing up the sanding and assembly of the bed this weekend and sometime next week or weekend start the finishing process.

Thanks again.

-Linc

Terre Hooks
08-04-2006, 1:28 PM
terre, how many gallons have you sprayed through your hf gun? and what finishes?

Gallons?

None. More like 2-3 quarts of Shellac and a pint of Arm-R-Seal/S&W Varnish. I haven't built anything in a year or so, been busy with other stuff.

There is no way I'd rely on a $40 HF gun to spray hundreds of gallons of stuff. I've had a professional system. :cool:

Robert Mickley
08-04-2006, 2:07 PM
I've whipped two of these so far
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=43430&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

After about 3 to 5 gallons they start to leak, plus the tips aren't big enough to spary lacquer with out thinning it a whole lot.

I just bought this from a local vendor
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/DeVilbiss/DeVilbiss%20DEVFLG643.htm

I'm figuing it should last a whole lot longer.
Plus the differance between it and the HF guns as far as spray quality are almost unbelievable

The other plus is parts, if you should need them are readily available

Allen Bookout
08-04-2006, 2:52 PM
Plus the differance between it and the HF guns as far as spray quality are almost unbelievable

The other plus is parts, if you should need them are readily available
In my opinion with spray guns, as much so if not more than any other tool, you pretty much get what you pay for.

John Tarro
08-04-2006, 3:47 PM
The HVLP HF version of the setup you are looking at is the one I started on 6 years ago. Didn't have any money and just wanted to shoot a couple of smaller pieces with lacquer. It worked suprisingly well. I guess I put probaly 6 or 7 galons through without a problem.

Later went to a Asturo but continued to use the pot from the old HF gun. Worked well.

If you take the time to set it up and try it out on scrap with properly thined lacquer, it works well . . . . atleast for me it did.

The HVLP is on sale for $39.00.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93305
Even if you don't like the gun, the pot and gagues are worth much more than $39.00.

Loren Hedahl
08-05-2006, 9:02 PM
John,

I just looked up the link for the Harbor Freight 93305 you mentioned. What took my interest was the "related item" underneath the ad for welding wire.

Do you have any idea how this might be related?

John Tarro
08-07-2006, 8:12 AM
Not the foggiest.

Matt Meiser
08-07-2006, 8:17 AM
The HVLP is on sale for $39.00.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93305
Even if you don't like the gun, the pot and gagues are worth much more than $39.00.

Even better, here's a coupon for $34.99. I bought one last year just for the pot and gauges to use with my Wagner gun. I haven't actually used it on a real project, since I haven't done one large enough to need a bigger pot, but I have sprayed water with it just to try it out. I bought the hoses from Gleem paint since the ones that came with it were pretty stiff and bulky.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/emails/33/RetailB/images/5.jpg

John Tarro
08-07-2006, 8:22 AM
Notice that you can't get more than 5 with the couon.

Steve Clardy
08-07-2006, 9:02 AM

Pssst. Yea, its me.;) :)

Matt Meiser
08-07-2006, 9:10 AM
Notice that you can't get more than 5 with the couon.

Each purchase. Doesn't say you can't make multiple purchases. :rolleyes: