PDA

View Full Version : I glued my finger with super glue (CA)

Nissim Avrahami
08-03-2006, 4:35 PM
Good day

I cut my finger with utility knife, quit deep and I could not stop the bleeding, so I took the CA bottle and…

Have a safe work
niki

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/avrahami/Fingera.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/avrahami/Fingerb.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/avrahami/Fingerc.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/avrahami/Fingerd.jpg

Andy Fox
08-03-2006, 4:41 PM
Ouch!....

That sure beats using yellow glue with a clamp time of 1 hour! :D

Scott Donley
08-03-2006, 4:43 PM
Ouch!....

That sure beats using yellow glue with a clamp time of 1 hour! :D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Greg Sznajdruk
08-03-2006, 4:52 PM
If memory serves (more senior moments every day) Super Glue was initially invented to replace surgical sutures. I believe that there is sterile surgical glue available. So you may in fact have used Super Glue for it’s original purpose.

Greg

Nathan Camp
08-03-2006, 5:10 PM
If memory serves (more senior moments every day) Super Glue was initially invented to replace surgical sutures. I believe that there is sterile surgical glue available. So you may in fact have used Super Glue for it’s original purpose.

Greg

:rolleyes: Super glue was created by accident during WWII (the war, not the blade:p ). A good link is at:

http://mit.edu/invent/iow/coover.html

Nathan

Nissim Avrahami
08-03-2006, 6:39 PM
Actually the idea came to me some 20 years ago when my daughter fall and cut her chin.

The doctor said that for girls they are using CA otherwise she will have the marks of the sutures all her life.

niki

Mark Rios
08-03-2006, 6:41 PM
KEN S., KEN S., KEN S. (or whoever the moderator is for this forum).................

delete the pics, hurry please.....It's against the TOS......No middle finger pointing in the Creek.........

Just teasin'

Dennis Peacock
08-03-2006, 7:36 PM
Ya know what........another trick to stop the bleeding is, yes it works, no it doesn't burn.......

Cover the cut with Cayenne (spelliung?) pepper. It will IMMEDIATELY stop the bleeding. I know....I split the back of my hand one time, couldn't stop the bleeding. Remembered what a buddy told me years earlier, sprinkled the cayenne pepper on it and BINGO!!!! No more bleeding. Went to the ER and got my stitches and went back home.

Now the LOML uses it all the time when she gets a cut. She can't stand any hot pepper, hot salsa, so I had to prove to her that it didn't burn in the cut. When she got a cut, I grabbed her hand, put the pepper on there and she's been a believer ever since. :D

Scott Vigder
08-03-2006, 8:29 PM
Nissim, you have the undoubtedly cleanest shop of all Creekers, and now that you've gashed yourself I didn't see a single drop of spilled blood. I don't know which to be more envious of: the clean shop or the bloodless gash! :D

Glad to see you've healed nicely. That isn't your picture-snapping finger, is it? ;)

Christopher Stahl
08-03-2006, 9:15 PM
I believe liquid bandages are CA.

Ted Jay
08-03-2006, 9:21 PM
Ya know what........another trick to stop the bleeding is, yes it works, no it doesn't burn.......

....Now the LOML uses it all the time when she gets a cut. She can't stand any hot pepper, hot salsa, so I had to prove to her that it didn't burn in the cut. When she got a cut, I grabbed her hand, put the pepper on there and she's been a believer ever since. :D

I can just picture this... it would be like trying to give an eight year old cough syrup.:D

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 9:31 PM
Yikes! That looks like it hurts!

Corey

David Rose
08-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah, right Dennis. Next you will tell us she does what you tell her to. :D

To prove that to mine, I would have to have about 3 quarter backs sit on her while a total stranger poured it on. Then if she didn't figure out that I was involved, I would still die.

Grab my little LOML while she's bleeding and you would get both feet, lots of teeth and the other hand. And you know how docile she can be when not bleeding.

Tell us more stories. These are fun. :D

David

Cover the cut with Cayenne (spelliung?) pepper. It will IMMEDIATELY stop the bleeding. I know....I split the back of my hand one time, couldn't stop the bleeding. Remembered what a buddy told me years earlier, sprinkled the cayenne pepper on it and BINGO!!!! No more bleeding. Went to the ER and got my stitches and went back home.

Now the LOML uses it all the time when she gets a cut. She can't stand any hot pepper, hot salsa, so I had to prove to her that it didn't burn in the cut. When she got a cut, I grabbed her hand, put the pepper on there and she's been a believer ever since. :D

Bruce Wrenn
08-03-2006, 10:10 PM
I use super glue to close those nasty cracks that I get on my hands in cold weather. Clean it, force together, and glue.

Al Willits
08-03-2006, 10:52 PM
I just did the same to my middle right finger, while cleaning the grease off the new jointer....silly me used 4 knuckle bandaids, 2 paper towels and electrial tape to get it to stop bleeding....:)

I've heard of people using super glue, but not on a cut like that.

Al

John Lucas
08-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Nissim,
I am glad you are n the mend. A couple of years ago when I had quadruple by-pass surgery, they opened up my whole left side looking for arteries they could use. From foot to underarm one continuous cut. They used CA and a clever "as you go" sewing machine...my name for it. But It pinched the two skin edges together and applied a dot of CA and they went to the next....175 times. No stitches. Painless to me.
I have used CA a couple of times for small cuts.

DO NOT USE ACCELERATOR, You might like to but DON'T. It will sting you for about 6 minutes and you will think it wont stop. Ask my wife. Or me. If the wound is open, the accelerator is a NO NO

David Rose
08-03-2006, 11:31 PM
John, I got the CA lecture from my vet a few years ago. Seems I received a couple of soon to be big dogs for my birthday. They needed neutering before long. I was paranoid and the vet was an old "farm vet", so he encouraged me to watch and help. It was fascinating. Well, except for the part where one ole boy's breathing got pretty erratic... That was my job. To watch the breathing monitor and heart monitor. And to lean against the wall to not pass out. hehe Actually, I didn't need to though the vet said many did. Anyway, he did use some sutures on the first layer of skin. I think both the second layer and the outer one were just "purple adhesive". I mentioned that it looked like super glue. He said that it was just a medical version of it, and that good old CA glue would do in a pinch and it was germicidally pure. It went in our first aid kit right after that.

I haven't used it FOR first aid, but I've almost needed first aid BECAUSE of it. :o

David

Nissim,
I am glad you are n the mend. A couple of years ago when I had quadruple by-pass surgery, they opened up my whole left side looking for arteries they could use. From foot to underarm one continuous cut. They used CA and a clever "as you go" sewing machine...my name for it. But It pinched the two skin edges together and applied a dot of CA and they went to the next....175 times. No stitches. Painless to me.
I have used CA a couple of times for small cuts.

DO NOT USE ACCELERATOR, You might like to but DON'T. It will sting you for about 6 minutes and you will think it wont stop. Ask my wife. Or me. If the wound is open, the accelerator is a NO NO

Tom Jones III
08-04-2006, 7:58 AM
Our dog was bleeding and it wouldn't stop, it was late evening and the vet was closed. So after a quick internet search I poured baking soda into a paper towel, taped it on and the bleeding stopped very quickly.

Sam Chambers
08-04-2006, 9:33 AM
One word for you, Niki...

Acetone!

I did the same thing when I was a kid, so now I never use CA glue without a bottle of acetone nearby. BTW, it used to be that all nail polish remover was acetone-based, but not any more. If you're sending your wife/daughter/friend to the store while you're gluing your fingers together, make sure they read the label and get the stuff with acetone.

Kyle Kraft
08-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Right on, Bruce. I couldn't make it through winter without CA! I'm constantly gluing up finger/thumb splits from October through April:) .

Use some of that zip-kicker stuff from hobby stores to accelerate the cure time.

John Miliunas
08-04-2006, 1:12 PM
I'm yet another believer in CA on small cuts and cracked skin from dryness. Works great and actually, I do use the accelerator! :eek: Burns pretty good but, just for a few seconds. And yes, I do believe the wounds heal a lot faster than using bandages or similar! :) :cool:

Chris Barton
08-04-2006, 3:53 PM
The CA gules used for closing skin and endothelial tissues is very different than what we use on our woodworking projects but, that being said, common CA glues will work for temporary tissue closure. The down side to common CA glues is that they are rapidly degraded by enzymes secreted around wounds and most then to dry too hard and brittle. I have used them myself on ocassion for a cut on my hand. Don't count on them for use as a bandage because of their brittle nature and only use them on a fresh wound that wouldn't normally require stiches. Also, make certain that the wound has been well cleaned and then apply a bandage over the area. Always remember, if you are in doubt, contact a medical professional for their advice.

Jim Becker
08-04-2006, 3:58 PM
One thing to remember is that the CA use for surgical application is also sterilized... That said, it can be handy stuff to have for this kind of thing AS LONG AS IT'S NOT A DEEP WOUND. If it's much more than a scratch, a doctor visit is sill in order.

Chris Padilla
08-04-2006, 4:06 PM
Heck, Jim, I glued my head back on with some CA!!! ;)

Hmmm, you are thinking that probably explains some things....

Phil Winn
08-05-2006, 1:45 PM
As a retired MD & DMD (I was paying back school loans for decades!)...., medical grade CA is usually in a single use container for obvious reason, and has many medical uses (as does the good old needle and thread, and the band-aid) for small, clean little cracks, cuts to skin (not near the eyes, ears, etc.) which are COMPLETELY CLEAN – CA can work well. For deeper lacerations – even if you think you have cleaned the wound well, I would recommend to my family and friends to see a MD/DO/NP/PA or at the very least a healthcare provider. They should know what to do—and can write a script if needed. Redness, swelling, temp, etc, etc,…….make sure someone checks it out.

In my many years of practicing medicine, I have heard many a patient say, “it was just a little scrape, hole” etc…just before I had to yank/cut out teeth/bone/flesh whatever…

Phil

Frank Fusco
08-05-2006, 6:15 PM
My son, an ER physician, told me essentially the same thing as Phil reccomended. Most wounds can be compressed until qualified medical help can be sought. Those that can't have bleeding stopped with compression are usually extremly serious and need immediate emergency care by qualified people. Yes, CA has medical applications and a form is sold over the counter for stopping bleeding. But, as Phil and my son point out, with the glue you risk sealing in bacteria that can cause more problems than the original wound.