PDA

View Full Version : Lathe question/confusion

Doug Jones
09-28-2003, 11:10 AM
I am very interested in coming over to the round side of the wood. After reading and seeing all the wonderful things a turner can make. My concern is the cost of getting started.
All the horrors of turning, so I hear and read, is not the cost of the lathe itself but in the tools and accessories to be able to turn.
I am on a budget so what I am looking for is a small list of quality tools and asseccories that will enable me to turn some bowls, gobblets, candle holders and mayby some pens.
If the Jet mini is on sale still at GIS thats probably where I'll get the lathe, but all the other stuff I'm not sure where to obtain it at so that may be some more info I could use.

Thanks in advance, Doug

Jim Becker
09-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Doug, you don't have to spend a fortune on the basic things you need. There are only a few things that you shouldn't compromise on...one is a full face shield.

Since you will be starting out with smaller items on a mini/midi lathe, a parting tool, rouging gouge, 1/2" round nose scraper, 1/4" spindle gouge and 1/4" bowl gouge could represent the tools to get you going. Buy good quality HHS tools and just add new ones as your skills and projects progress. Sorby, Artisan from Craft Supplies or Packard Woodworks house brand are examples of good choices for tooling at reasonable prices.

You can grind on any tool available to you, but an upgrade to AO (white, pink or blue) wheels should be a priority there. A slow speed grinder is nice, but again, if you have something, use it for now. You can build a jig similar to the Wolverine from scrap to help with your sharpening duties...that's what I started out with and it worked just fine.

Fine out when and where your local AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) chapter meets and attend the meetings. You'll invariably find some great mentoring and learn a lot of interesting ways to enjoy the hobby without breaking the bank. (That will come later once you are fully addicted... :D )

Doug Jones
09-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Jim, Thanks for the reply,again. I'm going to right down the list and carry it with me for those days I jump in the tool store and refer to the list to see whats on sale. I really appreciate your ever understanding paitance with us newbies.

Anthony Yakonick
09-28-2003, 10:59 PM
Doug, you don't have to spend a fortune on the basic things you need. There are only a few things that you shouldn't compromise on...one is a full face shield.

Since you will be starting out with smaller items on a mini/midi lathe, a parting tool, rouging gouge, 1/2" round nose scraper, 1/4" spindle gouge and 1/4" bowl gouge could represent the tools to get you going. Buy good quality HHS tools and just add new ones as your skills and projects progress. Sorby, Artisan from Craft Supplies or Packard Woodworks house brand are examples of good choices for tooling at reasonable prices.

You can grind on any tool available to you, but an upgrade to AO (white, pink or blue) wheels should be a priority there. A slow speed grinder is nice, but again, if you have something, use it for now. You can build a jig similar to the Wolverine from scrap to help with your sharpening duties...that's what I started out with and it worked just fine.

Fine out when and where your local AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) chapter meets and attend the meetings. You'll invariably find some great mentoring and learn a lot of interesting ways to enjoy the hobby without breaking the bank. (That will come later once you are fully addicted... :D )

Hey Jim, he might be better off with a 3/8 spindle gouge he'll get more use out of it in the long run. I still have my first 1/4 spindle gouge compared to my fifth 3/8 gouge. Also the Craftsman parting tool, skew and round nose scraper are great buys they are HSS and at $12.00 ea I still use them.

Happy posting :D

Anthony

Tom Sweeney
09-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Doug,
I turned my first bowl with a $30 used Craftsman lathe (still what I use) a 1/2" (I think) gouge & a straight chisel - & lots of sandpaper :rolleyes: It turned out real nice & I've made a couple of turnings that I'm kinda proud of.

I will say it's kinda frustrating working with a limited supply of tools. Tomorrow I'm heading to Woodcraft to buy their slow speed grinder & maybe the vari grind gouge sharpening jig. they are on sale for a couple of weeks - the grinder is just $74.95.

All my work is turned on a 4" faceplate that I assume is original to the lathe. I think my turning would be much easier & end up nicer if I had a jaw chuck like a Talon. I don't even have a spur chuck or screw chuck. These items are relatively expensive. Do you need them - no - would they be very beneficial to have - I think so.

Turning is a blast & you can get started for a very reasonable amount of $$ but there are a few things that I think you will want to start saving up for - such as a good chuck.

Welcome to the wonderful world of wood turning :D