PDA

View Full Version : Low Angle Smoother or Jack

Gary Curtis
08-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I've got enough money to buy either the Lee Valley or the Lie Nielsen, but not both Having about 14 other planes (incluing a No. 5 & a No. 4 1/2), would the smoother or the jack be more useful? Bevel of up iron, of course.

I'm just starting out at WW, building cabinets and drawers for my shop.

Gary Curtis

Mike Wenzloff
08-03-2006, 1:04 PM
Hi Gary--depending on the other 12 planes are, and depending on what you want to do with one of the desired planes...either.

If you do not have a jointer, and the scale of the work would support having an even longer plane than the Jack, consider it over the other two.

fwiw, I typically never have long enough work pieces I joint where I cannot use a #6. I use my #8, the bevel down equivalent to the BU Jointer, a few times a year. But many people build things a bit larger than I do.

Having a #4 1/2, assuming it is tuned well and has an after market thicker iron, will do 90% or more of your smoothing needs. Same goes for the #5. One main difference is that the LV BU Jack is more akin to the #5 1/2, so if I were making this decision and didn't need the BU jointer, I would choose the BU Jack...

Take care, Mike