PDA

View Full Version : Any Wainwrights out there (wagon makers)

harry strasil
09-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Thought maybe some would be interested in my half size Farm Wagon I built to move my first (rather large and heavy) tool box around with.
Its 5 feet long, 22 inches wide. 16 in wheels on front 24 in wheels on back, has a functioning brake system and a functional end gate. I have since added a fully functional tongue system with double tree, single trees, stay chains and neck yoke.

Dave Anderson NH
09-28-2003, 12:22 PM
I really like the wagon and can appreciate the work which went into it. Also, at this point I would like to thank you for the really great contributions you are making here. Please continue to post pictures of your work and the commentary which goes with it.

scott pollack
09-28-2003, 12:48 PM
very cool mr. strasil! what do you use it for now?

scotty

harry strasil
09-28-2003, 1:35 PM
it is disassembled and stored on my enclosed front porch now , Scott

Keith Outten
09-28-2003, 1:59 PM
Here is a picture of a haywagon and horse I built ten years ago. The wagon axles were threaded and the wheels were wraped with 1/8" steam bent walnut. I have the plans for a Conestoga wagon which I plan to build to show with my Clydesdale.

scott pollack
09-28-2003, 2:16 PM
mr. strasil, its too pretty to keep stored away. its a shame that you cant find a place to show it off. maybe some day huh?

scotty

harry strasil
09-28-2003, 4:42 PM
very nice work Kieth, I like your wagon and horse very much, I think I will copy your draft horse design for a project for my grandson.

thanks for showing it.

Jr.

Keith Outten
09-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Jr,

The picture below is the draft horse (Clydesdale) team that I'm working on when I can find the time. I have about 100 hours in the first clydesdale and have taken about 150 pictures to document the projects progress. I hope to write an article when the first of two horses is completed. If I live long enough to build the conestoga wagon for the clysdale team it would sure be a nice display. I'm looking for a source for real hair for the horses and will make leather rigging that is engraved for the team. It took me nine hours to sand the two cheek pieces and shape the nostrils for my Clydesdale but he is just awesome.

If you really like making animals and wagons check out

http://www.woodenmemories.com

Ken Williams has the best plans available hands down. I purchased the plans for his bull, clydesdales, pig, oxen, reindeer, haywagon, conestoga wagon, burro, goat, mare, camel, and a bunch of his garden gnomes.