PDA

View Full Version : source for tool rests

Mark Pruitt
08-03-2006, 9:12 AM
Did a search of SMC for a better tool rest than the one suplied with my lathe, and I found this...
http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/Onlinecat.htm/WebCatalog/Tool%20Rest.html
...which looks like a great selection and the prices aren't bad either. But I was wondering what other options might be out there. For some reason these things are hard (impossible?) to get through my "normal" places to go like Woodcraft, WWS, Grizzly etc. Any suggestions? As always, TIA.
Mark

Frank Fusco
08-03-2006, 9:42 AM
I see this question a lot on other forums. And the first thought that comes to my mind is: Why? When I first started turning I quicily found I needed tool rests of sizes other than the furnished one with the lathe. On the advice of a friend, I went to a local welder and had them made up. At $10.00 each, I get exactly what I want. Two ways to do it: a hunk of angle iron on top of the post, or a cross piece of round stock on the post. At $10.00 each you can experiment.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Mark I did the same thing as Frank. Went to the local welder and had some made up. I had 2 sets made for $40. Sent one set to Corey Halligan. They work great. Here is a pic's of them.

George Conklin
08-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Mark,
Randy a try here www.monster-wood-tool.com (http://www.monster-wood-tool.com)

I bought two of the Superbar rests from him

Joe Fisher
08-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Mark,
Randy a try here www.monster-wood-tool.com (http://www.monster-wood-tool.com)

I bought two of the Superbar rests from him I'll second that. I have 3 of his rests, and the customer service is excellent.

Mark, you may have met Randy and his wife at 5 Barns.

-Joe

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-03-2006, 10:36 AM
The thing about the ones you buy, is that the steel should be hardened, which is nice, as you don't get anywhere near the amount of nicks on the tool rest.

I make my own, I have to make some more, especially the curved bowl rests.

I think it is nice to be able to make some up for just the job you are doing.

Cheers!

John Gornall
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I started looking for a better and more rigid tool rest and happened to find a heavy old cast iron banjo for a couple of bucks. Now I can use rests with a 1 inch post. The combination of heavy banjo and stronger rest has made a vast improvement to my Midi lathe. Far less vibration and a much smoother cut - the tool bounces far less when bringing a rough piece to round.

Mark Pruitt
08-03-2006, 2:11 PM
Thanks all--

John, I like your idea of an entire new banjo. Alas, that seems even more difficult to find than a tool rest. Any ideas?
Mark

Jeff Farris
08-03-2006, 3:00 PM
Does anyone know what happened to "Best Tools" out of Florida? I was going to add them to this thread, but couldn't find their web page. I have a couple of their round tool rests, and love them. I Googled them, but didn't find anything.

Stu (and everyone else, too): Soften the corners of your skew and it will be less likely to nick up your tool rest. Plus, when you roll a bead, it will move in a smoother curve. I just knock each corner down to about 45 degrees or so -- not a huge radius, just knock down the sharp edge.

Jeff Horton
08-03-2006, 5:07 PM
...I like your idea of an entire new banjo. Alas, that seems even more difficult to find than a tool rest. Any ideas?
Packard Tools (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/). You can buy one there and resell it on Ebay for a profit. No joke! I have seen used ones go for $20 more on Ebay than a new one from Packard.

Liem Tran
08-03-2006, 5:19 PM
Mark try this website they have a few and it's pretty cheap.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tr.html

Liem

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-03-2006, 5:53 PM
.............Stu (and everyone else, too): Soften the corners of your skew and it will be less likely to nick up your tool rest. Plus, when you roll a bead, it will move in a smoother curve. I just knock each corner down to about 45 degrees or so -- not a huge radius, just knock down the sharp edge.

Thanks Jeff, yeah, I do that now!

Cheers!

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 8:49 PM
Like Bernie, says, they work awesome!

corey

John Gornall
08-04-2006, 12:14 AM
I have seen a number of banjos on ebay - seems many machines including wood lathes are being parted out to get more dollars for them.

Switching banjos on my General Midi was simple. The clamp plate below the ways fit on the new banjo - just undo the nut and switch plates.

The new banjo, a Delta, offer more improvements than just rigidity. It slides on the ways more smoothly and clamps tight, never moving. The tool post screw is a large, fine thread and clamps the tool rest post very solidly. The tool rest just doesn't move - which was not the case with the original banjo/toolrest.

The new one is a little high but with a 3/4 inch round rest on a short post its a little below center. I may look for another one that is a little lower.

This was a great improvement to my lathe.