PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a picture of my latest project

Scott Rongey
08-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi all,

I thought I'd go ahead and make my 2nd post an introduction (Tod, thanks for welcoming me after my 1st post).

I'm located in San Diego and have been in the hobby for about 12 years. The picture is of a cabinet I recently made. The top and doors are made from an interesting piece of mango that I got a couple of years ago. The legs are lacewood and the trim is ebony. The two strips between the doors and legs are palm.

Best Regards,
Scott
(I hope the picture comes through; it's listed in the attachments but I don't see it in the preview)

Mitchell Garnett
08-02-2006, 11:56 PM
very cool. thanks for showing us your work.

and welcome to the creek.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Scott..........Welcome to the Creek! Interesting design and use of various woods! Well done! I look forward to seeing some more of your creations! Again......Welcome!

Cecil Arnold
08-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Scott, welcome. Nice piece, keep the pictures coming.

Allen Bookout
08-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Welcome Scott,

That is TERRIFIC! That piece would turn anyones head and it would be well deserved.

You picked a dandy for your introduction.

Allen

glenn bradley
08-03-2006, 1:14 AM
Welcome and very nice piece. The mango is quite striking.

Brett Baldwin
08-03-2006, 1:22 AM
Welcome Scott. That is a great use of a striking piece of wood. I'd love to see shots from different angles.

Vaughn McMillan
08-03-2006, 1:45 AM
Beautiful work, Scott. The term "interesting piece of mango" is an understatement for sure. That's a mighty fine way to introduce yourself to the gang here...looking forward to seeing more of your work. Welcome to the Creek.

- Vaughn

Helen Gee
08-03-2006, 2:05 AM
Wow,that is gorgeous!! Is that your own design? Welcome to the creek!!!

Karl Laustrup
08-03-2006, 6:43 AM
Welcome Scott. Really nice design. The wood is fantastic. Great contrasts. Got any more projects to share?

Karl

Marty Walsh
08-03-2006, 6:50 AM
Scott,

Welcome to the creek. You satisfied the picture police with the shot of that very nice cabinet. How about satifying us detail freaks by opening the doors and sharing some of your construction and finishing details?

Thanks for sharing...
- Marty -

tod evans
08-03-2006, 6:53 AM
cool stuff scott! i like curves too. tod

Bob Childress
08-03-2006, 7:16 AM
Beautiful work! What Marty said, open the doors and let us peek inside.:D

Joe Blankshain
08-03-2006, 7:21 AM
Quality work and welcome to the Creek.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-03-2006, 7:54 AM
Scott,
That looks really, really good! I like the design. It's very artistic and interesting. A really unique looking piece.

...and by the way, welcome aboard!

-Jeff :)

Julio Navarro
08-03-2006, 8:23 AM
Very impressive, it keeps getting harder and harder for us newbies to live up to such standards with work like that! Darn you Jeff:p

Welcome to the Creek.

Al Willits
08-03-2006, 8:25 AM
Pretty fancy, and very nice...congrats, like to see the inside also. :)

Welcome.

Al

Dennis Peacock
08-03-2006, 9:10 AM
Very, very nice Scott and Welcome to SMC!!!! Keep those project pics coming. :D

David Duke
08-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Very interesting piece Scott and nicely done also!! Welcome to the Creek, great bunch of folks here as I'm sure you've already found out.

Lars Thomas
08-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice looking piece. Welcome to the creek. Lars

Shelley Bolster
08-03-2006, 11:55 AM
The message is gone, so am I

Chris Padilla
08-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Sexy and curvacious...and all in wood! What's better?! :)
Welcome to the Creek--heckuva first posting!

Frank Howell
08-03-2006, 3:24 PM
I'm sorry Scott, but calling that piece a "Cabinet" is like calling the "Monaliesa" a pic of a cute babe.:eek: The design is wonderful, the timbers are breathtaking and the finish really pops the grain beautifully, and the overall composition is far above simple cabinetry. This is WWing raised to the level of art. Wonderful job.

BTW: Welcome aboard!

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 9:34 PM
Welcome to SMC and congrats on the project! Nice work and something that is a little different!

Corey

Scott Rongey
08-04-2006, 1:58 AM
First, let me start by thanking everyone for their kind words.

Top:
This is a 4-way bookmatch using the slices of the same board I used for the doors. Picture using about the lower 2/3rds of the door and making the ends of the top the part near the bottom of the door.

Angle View:
Now that you can see more of it I guess I'll need to point out that the sides are covered with eucalyptus burl veneer.

Open:
Given the curve of the outside edges of the doors I came up with a special hinge that pivots in two places so the door faces can stay parallel as they swing forward and to the side. The shelf inside is mahogany and I made a curved cut-out incase I want to store something tall inside. The bottom shelf and the back of the doors are covered in cherry veneer, while the back is eucalyptus burl like the sides.

Hinge:
The hinges are made using sections of brass rod that rotated in brass tubes, and uses pieces of ebony to create the offset between the pivot points. I guess I should of wiped down the inside of the cabinet; the flash sure lights up the dust.

And finally, to answer a couple of the questions:
Yes, I came up with design myself. I think part of the fun is coming up with something not readily available, either by design and/or choice of woods.

For the finish I used the Arm-R-Seal and Seal-A-Cell finishes from General Finishes. I haven't waxed it yet, but I probably should.

Thanks again for all the comments,
Scott

Don Baer
08-04-2006, 2:24 AM
scott,'
That's a beutiful piece. I am sure that you be able to contribute to the many posters on the creek with some sage advice. Welcome to the creek.

John Scarpa
08-04-2006, 2:39 AM
Scott,

Welcome to the creek. That's a great piece thanks for sharing.

Tyler Howell
08-04-2006, 7:54 AM
More, give us more!!!!
What else have you done??
Welcome to the creek.