PDA

View Full Version : 2 for 2, I still got nothing….

Wayne Bitting
08-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Last week I was out “sick” from work one day but felt much better after spending an hour (and $200) at PSI! Picked up a bunch of stuff and started messing around in the shop. I turned a Polaris pen and really liked the weight and feel of it. I’ve been trying to do the pencil but 2 out of 2 blanks have fallen apart while turning. Two different woods and both of the blowouts were just next to the bushings. I’ve turned 6 comfort pens with out any problems, but not having much luck with the Polaris. Is there something that I am doing wrong or is it just the luck I’ve been having lately?

If you are wondering about my luck – Thursday a tree limb took out my phone line, then another one the next day took out my cable, Sunday my grill broke and on Monday the replacement grill blew up in a bust of flames and almost burnt down my house. So here I am trying to relax on the lathe and that’s not working out either:( At least I am finally back online after being without TV and phone for 5 days - okay I'm done venting for now....

Stephen Hibbs
08-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Perhaps you didn't trim the wood back from the end of the brass tube, in which case the wood will split easily when thinned down from the compression, I had that problem so I got a barrel trimmer. Otherwise I have no idea.

John Shuk
08-03-2006, 6:13 AM
Trees + Phone lines = overtime for me = tool budget underwiting ability. Just wanted to let you know that some good comes from these things!