PDA

View Full Version : Tool cabinet ? and show me yours.

Jeff Horton
08-02-2006, 9:53 PM
Considering building a cabinet for over my work bench. The drawers underneath are busting at the seams with my hand tools. So I am starting to think about something different.

First, those that have gone this route, do you find it a pain to have to reach across the bench and get tools off the wall?

Second, if you have built one I would like to see it so I can plagiarizer your good ideas if I decide to build one.

BTW I am talking about storing hand planes, scrapers, chisels, router (cordless kind), brace, bits, egg beaters drill and other neander style tools.

Jeff Horton
08-04-2006, 5:00 PM
Humm, not believing no one has built one of these! Did I miss something, did Elvis return or Aliens invaded and attracted everyones attention?

Jeff
scratching his head wondering what he missed.

tod evans
08-04-2006, 5:02 PM
sorry man, my bench is in the middle of the shop.....i use roll around mechanic boxes...02 tod

Zahid Naqvi
08-04-2006, 5:10 PM
you might have better luck if you move this thread to the neanderthal haven.

Brian Hale
08-04-2006, 5:35 PM
I don't like having anything over my bench. Most of my work is cabinets and i'd always swing something into it.

Brian :)

Joe Blankshain
08-04-2006, 8:30 PM
Have roll away mechanic boxes for my tools, sorry I can't help on this one.

Neil Clemmons
08-04-2006, 9:06 PM
Jeff -

Here's a shop cabinet and drawer unit I built several years back - based on a Woodsmith plan as I recall. I modified it a bit from the original plans to fit my needs:

- birch frame with birch ply front and back
- all joints are finger joints for strength
- hung on the wall with a french cleat
- drawer unit attaches to the bottom with 3/8" threaded inserts & screws
- magnetic catches
- inset handles

Unit is hung above my bench which is extra deep - I built it that way with a tool tray on the back. Below the bench is a storage cabinet that runs about 32" deep. Center set of drawers are full extension glides. Side cabinets are simple shelves.

It's held up for years. i really like having all the tools in easy view. Tells me pretty quickly what is missing as well.

If photos are too small or you need dimensions, PM me.

Good Luck -

Neil

Wes Bischel
08-04-2006, 9:23 PM
Jeff,
Sorry, I didn't look at your whole post earlier - I was thinking you were looking for all the fabulous machinist boxes etc. others have built.:D

I built a shelf/light fixture over my saw/work bench - nothing of heirloom quality. Strictly functional and made of leftovers from other projects. I used a few strip fixtures and enclosed them, put an acrylic lens over them. I used the shelf for the bins that hold misc tools, adhesives etc. that I like to keep close at hand.

I'm on the short side and the shop is in the basement (low ceiling, small space) so these work out well - oh, and most of my projects are small.

Like I said, nothing special, but it may give you ideas.

Wes

Rob Bodenschatz
08-04-2006, 9:33 PM
Neil, that is a great cabinet. Thanks for posting.

Joe Mioux
08-04-2006, 9:49 PM
Neil,

very nice cabinet. also kudos to your work area... TV, stereo (surround sound).

Looks like a great place to escape!

Joe

Jeff Horton
08-04-2006, 10:44 PM
I like that Neal. I had not thought about adding drawers under it. That is something I will have to consider. I was sort of thinking to something that opens like yours. Hinge it so that the doors could go back against the wall out of the way. Keeps the profile small(er) and less likely to be in the way. Since I have two benches in the shop it won't be in the way for taller projects.

Toying with the idea of a roll around tool box but my shop it big enough it would probably always be in the wrong place. So I may leave that for the wrenches and more mechanics type tools.

Mark Duksta
08-05-2006, 9:12 AM
Here is a cabinet I made from plans from Shop Notes. It holds all of my most used hand tools.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12814&d=1101164265

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12815&stc=1

Mark

Ned Bulken
08-05-2006, 9:37 AM
as I'm between shops right now, I'll speak from 'experience' but not current experience. It all depends on your habits, My bench was constantly piled high with crud. But that's just me. I could keep a section of it clear, but fully half of it (at nearly 9' overall length) wound up as a catch-all. there was a shelf over the bench, but it held 'stuff' not tools. My partner's bench, however, had tools hung on pegboard over it, and no, reaching across it was not a problem. It was only about 2' deep (if that, John, quick go measure your bench and chime in)

when I finally get my shop back in gear, I'll just about Have to have a cabinet for tools, but I probably won't put it over my bench, I'm planning on a window there.

Rod Torgeson
08-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Jeff....Here is my cabinet over a workbench. It is not so much a tool cabinet as it is a supply cabinet. It holds staples, brad nails, finish nails and pin nails for my air guns. Also stuff like, certain screws and pocket hole stuff along with some other odds and ends. Of course the workbench is more of a catch all then workbench. It is hung on the wall with a french cleat. Hope this helps. Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Dennis Peacock
08-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Storage cabinets? You mean you don't leave your stuff scattered all over the shop and under stuff you've piled on top of the abc_item that you've been looking for for about the last 2 weeks? :rolleyes: :D

Good thought and idea....but I don't have any either.

tod evans
08-05-2006, 1:42 PM
here`s a thought......cabinets denote organization......and an organized shop is either a sign of a very sick mind or very little work.........or both;)

glenn bradley
08-05-2006, 2:15 PM
I believe I've decided to mount my wall cabinets NOT over the bench. I just don't want to give up the vertical work space. I'm eyeing the wall between the DP and the wood bin. . . now where will I move those clamp racks to . . . ?

Frankie Hunt
08-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Use a french cleat system. You can try the cabinet in different spots.

My bench is in the middle of the floor. I like to be able to walk all the way around it.

Tony Falotico
08-06-2006, 8:27 AM
I built a set of a set of Chris DeHut's Shop Wall Cabinets, Issue #7 of Woodworking at Home. Sideways drawers. See my reply with pic's at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=204015#post204015 reply #20.

Very efficient use of space.

David Perkins
08-06-2006, 9:47 AM
My last shop was very small and I needed to keep every thing organized so I built a cupboard on wheels my workbench is also on wheels.

These photos were taken before they were loaded on the truck for the move to a new home.