PDA

View Full Version : Locust bowl (DNA question)

Curt Fuller
08-02-2006, 9:42 PM
I finally tried the popular DNA method of expediting the drying process on a bowl. But I'm not sure whether it worked or not. This was green locust, I'm not sure what variety, that was cut this spring. I sealed the blanks for a couple months and then roughed a bowl a couple weeks ago, soaked it in the DNA for 2 days, bagged it for 2 weeks in 100 degree 20% humidity weather, and then finish turned it last weekend. It didn't crack and it was a prime candidate for cracking with the pith very near the top edge of the bowl. But it warped about like any other green turned bowl I've ever turned. It started out at 10.5" diameter and is now about 10" x 10.75". Does the DNA process usually stop the warping or just the cracking or did I not let it dry long enough before finish turning it? It hadn't warped much when I started the finish turning.

Tom Sherman
08-02-2006, 9:45 PM
Curt I can't help you with your DNA question but that is one nice looking bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Curt that is a nice looking bowl. Nice form and finish. As far as the DNA goes I soak my bowls or boxes for 24 to 48 hrs. I then let them dry for minimum of 3 weeks. I don't do the weighing thing. So most of my bowls and boxes that are soaked in DNA dry from 3 to 6 weeks and that is because I couldn't get to it sooner. Most times about 4 weeks I let them dry after wrapping in either 2 layers of newspaper or one layer of a brown grocery bag then turn them on the lathe. The bowls and boxes will still warp some but I have yet to have one crack on me. Hope this helps.

Jim Ketron
08-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Curt I am by no means an expert on the DNA method. But this has worked for me so far. The more dense the wood and/or thicker the roughout for larger bowls the longer the soak/dry time needs to be.
Locust is what I would consider a dense wood and it retains its bound water longer I have also dried Osage Orange and I think its more dense than locust, I have done both with great success I think I waited at least 6 weeks or longer before I finished turning them.
IMO the DNA does not penetrate the more dense wood as it does on other species you will need to rough them out thinner and hope it does not warp to bad and still be able to finish it or just give it ample time to dry.

Cecil Arnold
08-03-2006, 1:22 AM
Curt, pretty much what Jim said, however IMHO, the DNA does not have an effect on warping, that wood is going to move exactly where it wants to.

Dennis Peacock
08-03-2006, 2:33 AM
Yup, what Jim K. and Cecil said. :D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-03-2006, 3:09 AM
Looking good, Curt. From everything I've read about the DNA method, it doesn't stop the warping, just alleviates the cracking.

John Miliunas
08-03-2006, 7:16 AM
Good lookin' bowl, Curt! And, at least from the pictures, the distortion looks to be pretty minimal. :) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 9:21 PM
It looks great Curt! Nice piece of wood!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
08-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Nice looking bowl Curt. Pretty wood too.

Ernie