PDA

View Full Version : Removable screw plugs

Jim Harsha
09-28-2003, 1:17 AM
What's the best way to make 3/4" screw plugs removable but still keep them in position?

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Jim
Not to be funny
But this thought came to mind as I read your question.
And since you didn't give any great details about the plugs.
How about rubber cement?
Daniel

Jim Harsha
09-28-2003, 4:42 PM
Daniel, rubber cement was one of my thoughts too, just wanted to see if my thought process was flawed. Thanks for the reply.

Lynn Sonier
09-28-2003, 5:17 PM
I built a short railing for church and wanted to plugs covering the lag bolts to be accessible. I just finished the outside and hammered them flush. They ain't fell out yet!

Mac McAtee
09-28-2003, 7:31 PM
I'd, if we are talking indoor application, glue them in with animal glue. If I ever wanted to remove them, drill a small hole in the middle, squirt a little hot water in the hole, put a screw larger than the hole in the hole and turn the screw in. That will pull the plug out.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
09-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Since I have done thousands of chair seats (caning and rushing, etc) I have had to remove and reinstall many plugs over screws that had to be removed in order for me to do the seat weaving.

There should be no need for glue of any kind if you size your plugs right. For standard plugs I use tapered plug cutters which allows me to have face grain showing on the plugs. For nonstandard sizes I turn slightly tapered plugs on the lathe then cut the small end off a little bit at a time until it will just enter the hole and then tap it in for a snug fit. Works for me.