PDA

View Full Version : Pecan limb burl winged bowl

Travis Stinson
08-02-2006, 8:55 PM
This is all I was able to salvage from a 48" diameter Pecan from my Brother's place. It seems his Father-in-law is driven to burn any tree that hits the ground. :mad: I had told my Brother to keep him away from it until I could get over there to cut some up. He called the Wed. before I was planning to go.............."He burned it........." :eek: I cut this charred limb burl off and disgustedly threw it on the ground behind my shop. Decided to tackle it this weekend. Ended up at 16 1/2" across and 4 1/2" deep. Buffed gel poly finish.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2006, 9:06 PM
Well done Travis! Question.....do you find pecan to be heavier for a given volume than other woods?

Travis Stinson
08-02-2006, 9:14 PM
Ken, Pecan IS a very dense wood. I haven't really compared the weight per volume to other woods, but I would have to say that it is heavier.

Ernie Nyvall
08-02-2006, 9:20 PM
Travis, you should take this bowl and show your favorite person what he burned up. You sure saved a nice piece and did a fine job on it.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2006, 9:36 PM
Travis that is a beauty. I like the form and finish. I am with Ernie take it over and show the burner what could have been.

Tom Sherman
08-02-2006, 9:42 PM
I agree Travis that is a nice piece, to bad about the rest of that wood could have held some real treasures.

George Conklin
08-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Your art work never ceases to amaze me. I always look forward to seeing what you will post next.

Curt Fuller
08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Holy Smokes Travis! That's amazing how you saved a chunk of burned wood and turned it into that. I guess you could call that an NBE, natural burned edge. It's a beauty.

Andy Hoyt
08-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Travis, you should take this bowl and show your favorite person what he burned up. You sure saved a nice piece and did a fine job on it. Ernie I agree. But don't leave it with him. Anything could happen to it - again!

Horst Hohoff
08-03-2006, 1:43 AM
Brilliant work, Travis!
Horst

Barry Stratton
08-03-2006, 2:01 AM
Incredible - both the "save" and the resulting piece of art. WOW!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-03-2006, 3:05 AM
Absolutely lovely work, Travis. I would agree with using this piece to open a discourse with your brother's FIL. It seems a shame that he would burn anything that hits the ground, however he may have his (possibly misguided) reasons...

John Miliunas
08-03-2006, 7:21 AM
In a word, "WOW!" :D Magnificent, Travis! Yeah, I'm with the other guys: Take that piece over to your bro's FIL and let him see what can be created out of his "firewood"!!! :D :cool:

Jeff Myers
08-03-2006, 9:07 AM
Travis, I can't stop scrolling back up to look at the pix of this piece,,,
this one really is beautiful !!!

Mark Cothren
08-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Travis, that is a knockout! You made the best out of that bad situation. Great character in that piece!

Travis White
08-03-2006, 1:33 PM
Wow! That is a very very nice bowl! And to think, some knucklehead was going to burn it.

Ed Scolforo
08-03-2006, 2:07 PM
Another amazing piece of art!

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 8:52 PM
That's cool Travis. These pieces like this scare the hell out of me to think what they looked like spinning on the lathe!

corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-03-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm going to start calling anything "DROP DEAD GORGEOUS" a "STINSON."

Do you EVER do anything that is NOT "A STINSON?"

Bruce

Travis Stinson
08-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I do believe I'll show it to him, maybe he'll get the hint.;)
Corey, they're actually not that bad. Just pay close attention to the "ghost", and make sure it clears the rest and banjo before you spin it up. They're easier to turn with a little more speed than normal, as long as there's no vibration. Jim Ketron showed a video of him turning a winged bowl, on his website.:cool:

Vaughn McMillan
08-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Gorgeous work, Travis. Definitely a "Stinson". True art.

I think if my father-in-law tried to burn something on my property that I didn't want burned, he'd only try once. :cool: (As it is, I don't have a FIL, and although my MIL lives with us, we get along well.)

- Vaughn

Jim Ketron
08-04-2006, 12:01 AM
You should call that Piece
OUT OF THE ASHES
Awesome piece Travis!

Raymond Overman
08-04-2006, 7:18 AM
Travis,

I gotta tell ya, I'd burn my woodpile if I thought I could get a few pieces like that out of it. I think the charred rim and other figure go hand in hand. It's a stunning piece in the picture and I'm sure it looks even better in person.

Though I wouldn't be too happy about a guy burning a whole tree when I had asked about it, would you have burned the rim on this piece and would it have had as much character if he hadn't? At least there was a silver lining on that dark cloud.

Keith Burns
08-04-2006, 8:23 AM
Absolutely stunning ! What more can be said?:) :)