PDA

View Full Version : My new outdoor workbench (lots of pics)

Bob Noles
08-02-2006, 8:48 PM
It seems like my shop is a never ending evolution of ideas chasing the elusive dream of someday reaching the ultimate way I would like to work, use and store my tools.

For the last couple of months I have been planning and gathering ideas to better utilize my small shop space and conveniently work outdoors without the process of having to make 15 trips in and out the door getting my tools together to do a job. Due to a medical condition of rapid physical fatigue between breaks, I have to make my every step and motion count throughout my day. Working outdoors eliminates a lot of clean up and natural “dust control” when weather permits.

Two of my most used and favorite tools are my router station and my EZ system. Eliminating my TS a few weeks ago as well as a few other footprint eaters that I found repetitious in function, I have opened up a lot of space in my shop. I have since found even more space by changing out my old Norm style router cabinet in favor of a smaller and simpler router table.

With all things considered and the effort required to move the weight of my “temporary” folding leg EZ Smart Table in and out of my shop, I worked toward a simpler (kiss) design to aid me in my quest. After seeing many of the contributor’s ideas on this forum as well as other places, I was able to put together my version of an outdoor workbench that allows me a lot of flexibility.

This rolling workbench has so many uses that I won’t even attempt to name them. Some of the uses that come to mind are: an EZ smart saw table, router table bench, sanding bench, sharpener/grinder bench, assembly bench and so on. The nicest part of all is that I can make a single trip out of the shop with everything I need on wheels. No more straining and exhausting myself just getting set up to work.

The bench measures 52” long by 28” wide and stands 25” high on the flat side and 29” high on the EZ smart table side. This is the universal height that figured best for the way I planned on using the bench. I attempted to add as many convenience features as could be thought of and will probably add a few more after thoughts as time goes by. The project was simple and inexpensive as you can see from the materials used. I designed it open and airy so easy enough to blow the dust and chips away with the compressor hose.
Since I am a long-winded person, I should just allow the pictures to finish the story from here.

Thanks for looking and I am open for any suggestions or questions.

Bob Noles
08-02-2006, 8:49 PM
More pictures continued

Bob Noles
08-02-2006, 8:50 PM
and the final set of pictures

skip coyne
08-02-2006, 9:21 PM
Nicely done

Great idea , thanks for posting I've just been using mine on sawhorses I'm going to borrow your basic concept .

seems like it wouldnt be hard at all to add some height adjustment .

Burt Waddell
08-02-2006, 9:26 PM
Bob,

It's great to have custom designed tools. Very nice job. I especially like being able to load up a bunch of tools and take them along.

Burt

Allen Bookout
08-02-2006, 9:54 PM
Good job Bob!

I need to do something like that soon. I see that you are using those smooth working Hartville Tool casters. How are they working out for you? I still really like mine compaired to some of the other ones that I have.

By the way, I really love all of those dovetails used in the router table and dovetail jig box. Woops---I see a dovetail jig but no dovetails. Must be that my eyes are ageing and I need eye correction.

I'll bet that you thought that I had gone away and that you could rest in peace. No such luck!!!!

Always good to see one of your projects.

Allen

Les Spencer
08-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Bob,

Very nice.:cool: Thanks for taking the time to share all your neat pic's.:D

Peter Pedisich
08-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Bob,

Great concept, I really like the way the top flips from a smart table to a smooth assembly table!
Dovetail jig setup looks nice too.
I use the same handles on my rolling tool carts!

Thanks very much for sharing.

Pete

Joseph N. Myers
08-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Bob,

Very nice and it looks like you put a lot of thought in the design. As long as you don't get any more tools and/or applications, you should be ok. I on the other hand, seem to get all geared up for a particular project and that falls thought. Then it is back to the drawing board.

Just how big is your wookshop that is causing all these problems??? Do you have the option of expanding your wookshop??? Or moving it to the garage (my wife hasn't parked in it for years).

Regards, Joe

Michael Pilla
08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Very well thought-out! Thanks so much for sharing, it's very inspiring.

Michael

Vaughn McMillan
08-03-2006, 2:19 AM
Very nice job on the bench, Bob. Looks like a useful setup.

Elton the Electrical Plug seems to be very happy with it as well:

:)

- Vaughn

John Bailey
08-03-2006, 5:20 AM
Great bench Bob. As always, you're always thinkin'.

John

Bob Noles
08-03-2006, 6:33 AM
Thanks for the nice comments y'all. I think this bench will serve me well for it's intended purposes.

Allen, I would not think of using anything other than the Hartville casters. Been there... done that and won't go back :eek: As far as the dovetail issue.... don't go there again or I'll have to find out where you live :D

Joseph, Shop is only 12X17, but crammed full of tools and conserving space and organization is always a priority for me to keep it as open as possible. I try to get as much use from every square inch as possible and make my tools earn the space they require :)

Mike Hill
08-03-2006, 6:40 AM
Bob: Very nice bench and accessories. I also have the Porter Cable Dovetail Jig. After many months I am now able to make decent Box and Through Dovetails. It sure took me awhile. Looking forward to seeing all the projects you complete with it :)

Mike

Don Bergren
08-05-2006, 8:23 PM
Really nice table Bob. It sure is functional and loaded with features to make your life easier. You just can't beat a customized solution like that.

I'm glad to hear a bit about the Hartville casters as well. They sound like a real good option that I'll file away for future reference.

Corey Hallagan
08-05-2006, 9:08 PM
Bob my freind that is awesome! Nice work... it looks great and I hope it does just what you built it for. Sorry to hear you continue to have problems.

Corey