PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl plate

Don Fuss
08-02-2006, 8:36 PM
I have a couple of 'firsts' to share. For starters, this is my first plate and my first attempt at turning anything as large in diameter as this. It's just under 10". Second, I built a little photo booth to use for photos today and this is my first attempt at using it.

It doesn't have a finish yet. I just wiped it down with mineral spirits and snapped these shots. I haven't decided what type of finish to apply. Perhaps you guys can give me some suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

Travis Stinson
08-02-2006, 8:40 PM
Beautiful figuring in there Don! If it were me, I'd use natural Watco, or some type of oil, to highlight the figuring.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2006, 8:42 PM
Beautifully done Don!

Ted Calver
08-02-2006, 8:45 PM
Nice!! I vote for an oil finish too.

Ernie Nyvall
08-02-2006, 9:11 PM
Me three on the oil and I like the Watco. Nice job Don.

Ernie

Tom Sherman
08-02-2006, 9:59 PM
Nice platter Don, great looking wood.

George Conklin
08-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Nicely done, Don.

I'm with the rest of the crew. Watco

Curt Fuller
08-02-2006, 10:15 PM
That's a beauty Don. I'll go along with the oil finish that has been suggested.

For a couple of 'firsts' that's some fine turning and fine photography.

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2006, 11:26 PM
I agree for a first that is a mighty fine plate. Nice job. I agree with the oil.

Horst Hohoff
08-03-2006, 1:40 AM
Hi Don,
A beautiful piece of wood turned into a brilliant looking platter.
Congrats!!!
Horst

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-03-2006, 2:59 AM
Don, you've really brought out the story in that wood. Awesome piece. Nice job with the photo booth as well, although I would recommend a little adjustment to your lighting setup. The center is rather hot---if you can use an off-camera indirect flash, or natural lighting, I think it would bring the already good photo to being a great photo.

John Miliunas
08-03-2006, 7:23 AM
Very, very nice, Don! Beautiful wood and you did it justice. :) Yup, for "part 2" of your presentation, definitely oil. I'm real big on Velvit Oil myself but, a good soaking of most any "typical" oil will do nicely. :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
08-03-2006, 8:54 AM
Wow Don. Got some nice eye-candy there. Very nice.

Jeff Myers
08-03-2006, 9:12 AM
Man-oh-man,,,that's a beauty!!! All these great pieces showing up lately,,, the bar's getting almost too high to see now!!!!

Don Fuss
08-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks all for the comments. I took everyone's advice and went with natural Watco to finish it. That was definitely the way to go -- it really made the figure stand out. I also have another finishing question, though. Do you guys suggest I go for a high gloss top coat to finish it off? I'm afraid a glossy finish might detract from the figure, but I'd like to hear some opinions from the experts.

Henry, thanks for the tip on the lighting. The way I have it set up now is just underneath of my fluorescent shop lights. Should I take the shots outdoors in the booth? Thanks again for the advice.

Don

Mark Cothren
08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Just all around excellent, Don! Nice work on a great piece of wood.

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 8:53 PM
Very nice Don, I like it and a beautiful piece of wood!

corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-06-2006, 2:27 PM
Don---

If the lighting is from overhead, you may be able to soften it somewhat by using a diffusing panel on top of the booth. Some thin, bleached broadcloth could do the trick.

Also, flourescents tend to add a green cast to photos. Most modern digicams automatically white-balance, however flourescents vary in their color temperature a great deal, making it difficult to get a good white balance (unless you are using natural-light balance flourescent tubes, in which case ignore that bit).

Outside or in, however, I'd say a diffuser panel on top of the booth would do great.

BTW: Do you have pics of the finished work? I for one would like to see them.

Don Fuss
08-06-2006, 2:51 PM
Henry, thanks for the advice. I moved the booth to a corner of the shop where it is out from under direct light for this shot. The piece itself appears to look better under ambient light like this, however, the foreground of the booth looks strangely pronounced and overall looks unnatural due to the flash. I'll have to work on finding a new location with better lighting and build a diffuser panel to help as you suggest.

Either way, the platter looks much warmer with the oil finish than in the first pictures and it really brought out the figure. Thanks again for the advice guys.