PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Table Saw

Joel Maley
08-02-2006, 5:24 PM
Hi all,
I am new at this forum thing. I have looked over some previous comments by people in regards to table saws but I am anxious to hear what the more experienced woodworkers have to saw. I am in the market for a table saw/hybrid saw. I don't want a contractors saw. I checked out the local shops and I have two main options. I can go with the General International 50-220C MI or the 10" Delta Hybrid Saw 36-716. I am leaning towards the GI because it has 2hp as opposed to the 1 3/4 hp on the Delta. Also the GI is made in Taiwan while the Delta is primarily made in China. Just curious if any of you out there have either of these saws or have used them. I have heard that the GI can be a pain to setup but once it's together its awesome. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I am looking at a saw in the $1000(CDN) range. Yah I know for some of you that might not be much but I gotta start somewhere. Thanks for you comments.

Joel

Mark Rios
08-02-2006, 5:44 PM
A number of folks here have expressed their liking of the Grizzly hybrid.

Another popular hybrid is the Sears/Craftsman hybrid saws. These have apparently been made pretty well and have something of a following.

Gary Curtis
08-02-2006, 5:55 PM
Fine Woodworking magazine surveyed the Hybrid saw early in 2005. It was in their annual Tools supplement. Why not look that issue up (taunton.com) and see what experts had to say?

Gary Curtis

Mike Canaris
08-02-2006, 6:06 PM
Your choice of the G.I. is a good one....the saw does have a 2 hp motor..but if you inspect the trunnions you will discover..they are a lot beefier than the Deltas...also those 'weak' connecting bars are absent and the whole assembly is connected similarly like a cab saw...I nearly purchased one of those but I opted for a used General 350...

Mike Hill
08-02-2006, 6:09 PM
Joel: I just spent the day in my shop using the Grizzly 1023SL ripping plywood and hard wood for a cabinet. It is under $1000 but I added a Woodworker II blade ($96.00) and built an out feed table for it. Of all the tools I have purchased. This one is the best for the money. Check it out on www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com) or www.grizzy.com (http://www.grizzy.com)

Mike

Matt Meiser
08-02-2006, 6:21 PM
I am under the impression that the Delta hybrid and Sears hybrid are the same saw. And, the less expensive one was on sale for something like $399. Even if you replace their fence with a Biesemeyer, that still seems like a really good deal. And I haven't seen anything bad about the Sears saw from someone who actually owned one. If I were buying a new saw, I'd seriously consider it.

Edit: I looked up the cheaper saw on Sears.com. It has stamped steel wings too, making it less of a deal.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-02-2006, 6:46 PM
If it's a conventional saw you want, I submit that you should take General very seriously.

scott spencer
08-02-2006, 6:53 PM
I am under the impression that the Delta hybrid and Sears hybrid are the same saw. And, the less expensive one was on sale for something like $399. Even if you replace their fence with a Biesemeyer, that still seems like a really good deal. And I haven't seen anything bad about the Sears saw from someone who actually owned one. If I were buying a new saw, I'd seriously consider it.

Not the same saw Matt, but they do appear to share some parts...like the motor, motor mount, and drive system for example. The trunnions are quite different though, in that the Craftsman hybrids have the cabinet mounted trunnions vs the table mounted trunnions on the Delta.

Welcome to SMC Joel - I really doubt there'll be a difference between a 1-3/4hp motor and a 2hp motor...especially since the ratings are a bit loosely interpreted anyway. The right blade and good alignment will far outweight any 1/4hp difference IF one actually exists. At one time shortly after it's release, the GI was under some scrutiny about whether or not the motor was actually anywhere near 2hp b/c it only drew ~ 11.4 amps @ 110v....not sure if the same motor is still being used, but an 11 amp motor would have to be incredibly efficient to produce 2hp. The Delta and the GI have very different drive systems though. The GI uses a dual drive stage that's said to have some torque advantage. One downside of that drive stage that I've read about, is that the motor and it's mounting system are proprietary and will require an OEM motor replacement if ever needed. The Delta uses a fairly standard NEMA 56 frame. I really liked the way the GI looked, but I've never run one. The Delta looked like it should be fine too.

FWIW, a bit more than a year ago Workbench mag rated hybrids and chose the Craftsman 22124, the GI, DW746, and the Jet SS in that order. The Delta was not included, and the GI tested had the entry level aluminum fence, not the Biese fence.

http://www.epinions.com/content_184778395268

Andrew Betschman
08-02-2006, 7:25 PM
The dewalt 746X. It has the power you want and the saw is a hybird tablesaw.

Joel Maley
08-03-2006, 5:57 AM
Many thanks for all your comments and opinions. I hadn't looked into the Craftsman so I will have to do that now.

Frank Fusco
08-03-2006, 9:30 AM
Many thanks for all your comments and opinions. I hadn't looked into the Craftsman so I will have to do that now.

I don't know anything about the Craftsman tool in question, but Sears reputation for service is way deep in the flusher these days. That consideration alone would steer me to anything but the Sears/Craftsman as it has with all my purchases in the past six years.

Andy Fox
08-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Before I returned my 14" Craftsman bandsaw, they did offer to send someone out to my house to service it under warranty. I don't know how soon they would've done that.

Jeff Cord
08-03-2006, 10:53 AM
I purchased that exact GI saw last December and it runs great.
Built an extension table and mounted my router in that.
Also built an outfeed table and with these two additions it's been working great.
I can't comment on the Delta (or any other saw) but I'm very happy with the GI.
Jeff

Scott Donley
08-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't know anything about the Craftsman tool in question, but Sears reputation for service is way deep in the flusher these days. That consideration alone would steer me to anything but the Sears/Craftsman as it has with all my purchases in the past six years. When I got my 22124 I was not happy with the fit of one of the cast iron wings, cosmetic, a very slight bevel where it connected to the top. One call and they offered to send someone out to replace it or send a new wing for me to do it.While on the phone I asked about the belt never having anything before that used a serpentine and if there had been any problems. They said no problems. The next week UPS came with my new wing and a new belt ! I don't think service could have been any better.

Frank Fusco
08-03-2006, 2:02 PM
When I got my 22124 I was not happy with the fit of one of the cast iron wings, cosmetic, a very slight bevel where it connected to the top. One call and they offered to send someone out to replace it or send a new wing for me to do it.While on the phone I asked about the belt never having anything before that used a serpentine and if there had been any problems. They said no problems. The next week UPS came with my new wing and a new belt ! I don't think service could have been any better.

I'm happy to hear of your good experience. As a former Sears franchise store owner, I know what corporate policy has been. My conscience couldn't take it. And, I rarely shop with them.

Scott D Johnson
08-03-2006, 2:06 PM
I just purchased the Craftsman 22104 (sale $449) and got a Bies 7' rails and fence on sale at Amazon for ($219).

Got rid of the "stamped steel wings" and built an extension table out of 2x6, 3/4" melamine and 3/4" frame. Just got my WWII blade resharpened, also bought a dedicated Freud crosscut and dedicated Freud Rip blade, already owned the Freud 6" dado set.

Couldn't be happier.

Scott Donley
08-03-2006, 2:50 PM
I'm happy to hear of your good experience. As a former Sears franchise store owner, I know what corporate policy has been. My conscience couldn't take it. And, I rarely shop with them.Maybe things have gotten better since you left :) Really though, I have, Delta,Jet,Dewalt, Porter Cable and even an HF dust collector in my shop. No Grizzly stuff 'cause I can't seem to get them to even send a catalog ! The worst customer service I have had was Dewalt, The industry has gone through a lot of changes the past few years and I think some have gotten better, some worse, so to rule out a brand based on what might have been an old policy is not fair to the OP. I like to get the most bang for my buck and at the time the CM fit my needs, and to date I must say, it has been a great saw that has filled my needs, with great customer service. But even that could change next week !

Seth Poorman
08-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Hey Joel
Did you consider buying a old american made machine, I buy nothing but old american made machines for my shop,maybe a old unisaw or general or a powermatic 66... I just bought a mint condition old Powermatic super shaper 27s for the price of a new taiwanese model w/ a smaller table and motor. The resale value of American made machines hold up alot better.
Just my 2 cents.......:)

Bill Fields
08-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Joel:

After much modificatiosn--link belt/cast iron wings from Harbor Freight/re-engineed quick release for guard/riving knife/Freud blade, etc.--I like my Hitachi C10FL ($500 at Lowes).

HOWEVER, with the addition of a full complement of the EZ Guide set of circular saw/router guides and clamps--this tool is not being used that heavily any more.

When it comes to breaking dwn heavy panesl of plywood/MDF, the EZ system can't be beat.

The TS, however, is still used for other tasks that the EZ system is not well suited to.

BILL FIELDS

Brian Gumpper
08-04-2006, 7:57 AM
A number of folks here have expressed their liking of the Grizzly hybrid.

Mark,

I had heard you can't buy Grizzly in Canada.

Phil Ordway
08-04-2006, 9:45 AM
Advertised horsepower no longer has any meaning. Manufacturers are using the maximum number of watts consumed when the lights go out as well as assuming 100% efficiency (electric motor efficiency is about 65%) in order to prevaricate about their HP. Operating Amps do mean something. 1HP equals approximately 12 Amps at 110VAC or 6 Amps at 220VAC. This makes 1.5HP (real HP) the practical max for a typical 20Amp 110VAC circuit. Your new saw motor will run cooler (last longer) if it wired to run on 220VAC and it will give more effective and smoother power. As for the saw. They don't make them like they used to.