PDA

View Full Version : Triton or Trend Airshield?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2006, 5:00 PM
The LOML says she wants me around a little longer. For my upcoming birthday she wants to buy me either a Triton or a Trend Airshield.

Has anybody done a comparison of the two?

Anybody using one would like to make recommendations or provide some pros and cons?

Thanks!

Lee DeRaud
08-02-2006, 5:16 PM
I've got the Triton: slightly less expensive and I like the idea of having a good chunk of the weight (battery and blower) down at belt-level instead of on my head.

(The downside is, it took about a month before I quit looking around to see what that humming noise behind me was. :p )

Tony Ward
08-02-2006, 5:19 PM
I've had a Triton mask since they were first issued, use if often without any problems.

Ask these guys, they may be able to provide some additional advice!

Moderator deleted direct link to another public forum -- TOS violation

George Conklin
08-02-2006, 6:22 PM
Hey, Fitz.
I have the Trend. I chose it over the Triton simply because I didn't like the earmuffs:rolleyes: .
What about the kind that Bill G. uses in his videos? Have you thought about one of those?

Ernie Nyvall
08-02-2006, 6:47 PM
Ken, I don't have a comparison except for trying them both on at a WW show. I liked the Trend because it is one single unit. The battery pack is the weight of three AA batteries, so it's not that heavy. I also like the larger field of view with the Trend. I don't care for the hose on the Triton... I'd probably catch it on something:o . Finally, I take mine off frequently and step out of the heat in my shop. It SEEMS like (I don't know for sure) that it would be a hassle with the Triton because of the hose and remote B pack.

Whichever you get, you will be amazed at how much better you feel coming out of the shop, especially after a long sanding session.

Ernie

Dick Parr
08-02-2006, 7:00 PM
Ken I just love my Trend, it is seriously the best tool I have bought to date. It is to bad I had to wait until I got asthma at age 53 before I stepped up and got one. It really does help and the batteries are not that heavy that you can't wear it for an hour or two at a time or until you need to replace the battery :rolleyes: . Get an extra one so you have one to change out and finish whatever you are working on while the dead one is re-charging.

Good luck in which ever one you get.;)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-02-2006, 7:17 PM
Thanks for asking the question Ken, I'm looking at one as well.

I can get the Triton here, no problem, but I'd have to have the Trend shipped to Japan, and deal with all of that......

Cheers!

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2006, 7:22 PM
Ken,

I have the Trend and really like it. I even use it at times when working with the router, tablesaw, or power sanding on my big disk sander. It's comfortable and easy to take care of and maintain.

Jim Ketron
08-02-2006, 7:39 PM
Trend Here
Good thing the better half cares about your health and wants you to get one. wood dust is nothing to play around with! I have read several posts in the last year of people that love woodworking having to give it up because of health reasons. This is just one of the tools that helps with breathing a lot easier. I use 3 means of cleaning my air in the shop.
you can never have too much!

Jim Becker
08-02-2006, 9:26 PM
I have the Trend and am very pleased with it. In fact, I actually wear it most of the time I'm at the lathe...something new that I just couldn't do with the old non-ventilated face shield.

Bill Boehme
08-03-2006, 12:15 AM
I know that you did not ask about the 3M Airstream, but that is one of the 3M PAPR's that Bill Grumbine has (the other is the BreatheEasy). After mulling all of the various choices for many months, I was all prepared to buy the BreatheEasy, but the gentleman at Airware America recommended the considerably less expensive (but still not cheap by any means) Airstream AS400LBC based on my intended use (primarily woodturning and sanding). After about a month of use, I think that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am extremely sensitive to all kinds of wood dust, but especially sensitive to my favorite, mesquite, of which I have a bountiful supply. From the3 very first use, it has been a pleasure -- it is lightweight, easy to put on and remove, comfortable, has a HEPA filter, and ample air flow -- about 10 CFM. So far, I find that I can go more than 10 hours before recharging the battery, but now just put it on the charger whenever I am not using it. At our last club meeting, we had a "fashion show" of sorts where I demo'ed the Airstream and another member demo'ed the Triton. The other person was not pleased with a few of the features of his Triton such as comfort and air flow. There was a lot of interest in the Airstream, but of course, the price is a real obstacle to most people. One of our members has the Trend Airshield -- maybe he will demo it at the next meeting.

Bill

John Gornall
08-03-2006, 12:34 AM
How much do these cost - the price is not listed on the Airwear site. Thanks.

Ken Salisbury
08-03-2006, 12:54 AM
I can't make a comparision but I love my Trend

Cecil Arnold
08-03-2006, 1:26 AM
Ken, some time ago I read a comp. of both units. I don't remember what publication conducted the test. As I recall the tester liked both, but found the triton had a parallax problem that was not apparent on the Trend.

Bill Boehme
08-03-2006, 1:59 AM
How much do these cost - the price is not listed on the Airwear site. Thanks.

The price is listed -- you just need to choose the options that you want in order to see what the cost is. Go to the following link to see the various choices: Airware America (http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=56)
I notice that the cost has gone up a bit since I bought my Airstream.

Bill

Claude Arragon
08-03-2006, 3:51 AM
I cannot compare as I have the Trend Airshield. When I bought it I was wondering whether I'll be able to ware it all day long. I had some concerns about the weight and about the noise level.
The first day I wore it I just forgot to have it on. The noise level indicated by the manufacturer is there just for legal purpose and I assure you it is far below what is indicated. The weight is no problem at all when you have adjusted correctly the mask to your skull configuration. The vision is superb, and the little transparent sheet which protect your mask (like in Formula 1 racing) is just a fantastic invention and I strongly suggest you to by the spares.
As you can read I’m really enthusiastic about it after having tried several mask and shields.

Karl Laustrup
08-03-2006, 6:36 AM
Ken, I have the Trend and use it whenever I'm doing any cutting, sanding or whatever in the shop. I don't know what I'd do without it. If you decide to go with the Trend, order the extra battery.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2006, 9:56 AM
The LOML and I are headed to Kellog Idaho this morning. Taking her to a little out of the way place for lunch. Get off the interstate at Kellog, take right....go about 200 yards to the parking lot. Walk across the street ...buy a ticket.....ride the gondola to the top of the mountain....have lunch at the lodge. We skiied at Siver Mountain several times when we skiied. Have never seen the mountain in the summer time. Then....after lunch......drive into Spokane to the Woodcraft store and try the Triton and the Trend on.......pick one and give it a new home. I'll pay a little more.....but....Hey......Woodcraft helped us out here lately!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Have a good time, and I cannot wait to hear your review.

Cheers!

Glenn Clabo
08-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Ken...I tried both and didn't like the Tritons external hose and battery concept. The Trend is light enough that you forget you have it on after a minute or two.

Karl Laustrup
08-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Enjoy your lunch and be waiting to see which one you get and how you like it.

Karl

Bob Noles
08-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Ken,

I got the Trend based on recommendations at SMC and have not been sorry for it whatsoever. A great unit! Light, comfortable and very effective.

Ed Scolforo
08-03-2006, 2:14 PM
Ken, I bought the Trend and have no complaints.

Jim Bell
08-03-2006, 6:00 PM
I have the Trend unit. I often forget I'm wearing it. The extra battery is a good idea but not absolutely necessary. I used mine now for over two yrs and never once considered replacing it with another brand. I like being able to flip the mask up much like a welding helmet. It just fits my circumstances perfectly.
Jim

John Gornall
08-04-2006, 12:48 AM
680.00 - 790.00 for the 3M

I'll be getting a Trend.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2006, 1:13 AM
I bought the Trend this afternoon. I was able to try on the Trend and the Triton. I didn't like the hose part. I know casually clumsy would tear that thing off with a lot of regularity! There was some things I liked about the Triton better than the Trend but in the end the Trend came home with me.

Thanks for your inputs!

Ed Breen
08-04-2006, 1:59 PM
Hey Bill,
Thanks for the "heads up" on Airwear. I just went to their web site but couldn't order the 3mairstream battery charger, it would not accept the card expiration date. I left a message and will order Monday a.m.
Ed:D