PDA

View Full Version : Latest project

Wolf Kiessling
08-02-2006, 3:28 PM
This piece is in the final stages of finishing. I thought I would photograph it before it got too shiny and threw off a lot of reflection.

It is not titled as I believe the subject is self evident. This is a preliminary piece as I intend to do the same thing in an In-the-round bust. I would have done the bust without the relief carving but the crown of thorns scared me. I figured if I did the relief piece, I would only have to deal with a partial crown. This turned out to be a good decision. The thorn crown was problematic, however, not as difficult as I first imagined. Still, I would have hated to do it in 360 degrees right off the bat. In any event, the bust is next and will probably complete the religious carving phase I have been in for the last couple of years.

This is a fairly large piece at 24 X 20 inches. It is basswood and finished (so far) with BLO and a couple different kinds of Danish oil. It is not yet framed as I have no clue as to how to do it for the time being. Generally I make a sort of rustic frame for my stuff but I'm thinking this might call for something a little more formal.

Chris Padilla
08-02-2006, 3:31 PM
Ah, I see "The Da Vinci Code" deeply embedded rather cleverly into your superb carving, Wolf!

BTW, glad to see you back and at it!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2006, 3:34 PM
Very nicely done Wolf! Great to see you back at it and posting at the Creek!

John Buzzurro
08-02-2006, 6:24 PM
Awesome carving, Wolf. I think it's beautiful.

Brandon Shew
08-02-2006, 9:37 PM
Never been much of one for formal religion, but the words "Sweet Jesus" popped into my head when I saw that. Very nice work.

Tom Hamilton
08-02-2006, 9:43 PM
Heavenly, Wolf. Thanks for posting.

Is it a commission, a spec piece or one for your portfolio? The framing will be an interesting challenge.

Hope you let us know what you decide.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, awestruck.

Bob Noles
08-02-2006, 9:45 PM
Wolf,

That is absolutely stunning. What a beautiful work.

Thanks so much for sharing.

John Cavanaugh
08-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Very nice work... Amazing detail.

Given your work, you might be interested in this as well. I attached a few photos of a woodworking shop/store adjacent to a really old (I think like 400+ years) catholic church in Kerala India that I visited last year. This shops craftsmen do a very large business of making custom hand carved crucifixes for churches throughout the us & canada.

--
John Cavanaugh

John Miliunas
08-03-2006, 7:45 AM
Wolf, that's simply amazing! Wonderful, wonderful work. Please, post an update once it's completed with finish and frame! :) :cool:

Wolf Kiessling
08-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Heavenly, Wolf. Thanks for posting.

Is it a commission, a spec piece or one for your portfolio? The framing will be an interesting challenge.

Hope you let us know what you decide.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, awestruck.

It's for the portfolio, Tom. I intend to show it competitively for the next four months starting in September..........

Framing wise, even though I haven't made a final decision yet, it will probably end up some sort of shadow box type frame. I'm thinking 2X4, the two inches being the frame width, with some fancy molding applied............

Shelley Bolster
08-03-2006, 11:48 AM
The message is gone, so am I

tod evans
08-03-2006, 11:54 AM
nice work wolf!

lou sansone
08-03-2006, 12:18 PM
excellent work. thanks for sharing it. Someday I will see HIM face to face!
lou

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 9:35 PM
Wolf, awesome work!! that is just too kewl!

Corey

Dave Ray
08-03-2006, 9:42 PM
Your work says a lot. Powerful and moving. Best of luck in your shows, a real winner in my book.

Tony Falotico
08-03-2006, 9:43 PM
Wolf, you never cease to amaze me, AWESOME !!

Wolf Kiessling
08-06-2006, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the kind words, folks..............

I just hope the bust turns out as well as the relief.............