PDA

View Full Version : Stripper help needed.

Phil Winn
08-02-2006, 1:24 PM
I need a great stripper to remove some Transtint Liquid Dye covered
with Bartley's Gel Finish wipe-on . Any suggestions? I called a Furniture Restoring Business, and he suggested F5F stripper, brush on one direction, let sit 15 minutes, then brush on a secord coat (one direction), let sit a while 30-60 minutes, then scrape off...
1. Any product suggestions?
2. Stripping suggestions?
Thanks,
Phil

Steve Wargo
08-02-2006, 1:45 PM
If the wood has been dyed you only have a few very drastic options. One is to plane the surface or sand the dye away. A household bleach should remove the pigment without discoloring the wood too. Both of which are pretty drastic solutions, but once you've applied dye to anything, there is not much hope of returning it to it's current state. If you used an alcohol based dye then it may not have absorded as deeply into the wood fibers as a water based, so you may not have to remove much material. Good luck, I don't envy your situation. The urethane is probably the least of your concerns, but will also be a pain to remove. I don't know of a stripper that will remove it.

David Schlewitt
08-02-2006, 3:02 PM
my sister's got a friend ... but wrong kind of stripper

Ben Roman
08-02-2006, 3:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing !!

Cheers

Ben

Chris Padilla
08-02-2006, 3:36 PM
I'll keep the filthy things running through my mind to myself but David and Ben pretty much covered it already, even if they aren't as clever as my retorts would have been! ;)

What kind of wood/surface/shape are you trying to remove those coatings from, Phil? Is sanding an option? Steve covered most of it, I think.

Steve Schoene
08-02-2006, 4:38 PM
The dye isn't the problem. Ordinary bleach, or stronger pool chlorine, will remove dye handily. The problem is getting to it. This is where the stripper comes in--to get the gel finish off. The catch is that unless the finish is removed thoroughly the bleach won't work, or will work unevenly. In that case it's down to plane or sand it off--ugh.

Steve Wargo
08-02-2006, 4:55 PM
The problem with using bleach is that it can be harmful to the wood fibers, and if the piece is already constructed it will most certainly compromise the glue joints.

Phil Winn
08-02-2006, 5:03 PM
Any other strippers besides F5F? Or is it the best out there?
Phil

David Wilson
08-02-2006, 5:39 PM
I'm a stripper, if building a kayak counts.

Vaughn McMillan
08-02-2006, 7:14 PM
I'm a stripper, if building a kayak counts.
Thinking of you as a stripper is a picture I just didn't need painted, David. :D :p ;)

- Vaughn

Randy Moore
08-02-2006, 7:21 PM
Thinking of you as a stripper is a picture I just didn't need painted, David. :D :p ;)

- Vaughn

And that made me think of Tylere and his thongs. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:eek: :eek: :eek: :)

Don't look Ethel!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Steve Wargo
08-02-2006, 8:19 PM
I'm not certain, but I didn't think that F5F would remove urethane.

Steve Schoene
08-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Could you be thinking of the damage liquid ammonia can do when used as a stripper? Chlorine bleach, especially household bleach, is frequently recommended in this use and in my experience has had only insignificant effects on the wood fibers. This isn't a bleach soak just wet wiping, and shouldn't damage reasonably well fitted joints.

Joe Pelonio
08-03-2006, 1:40 PM
Here you go.

Jerry Olexa
08-04-2006, 2:58 PM
Intruiging title to your post...