PDA

View Full Version : Need project ideas for grandkids

Rick Gibson
08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
My 3 grandkids are coming for a week. The youngest girl 11 asked if they could build something while they are here. We did birdhouses last year so thats out. Any ideas.

Barry Beech
08-02-2006, 12:12 PM
How about a fancy bird feeder to go with the houses? They are more interactive for the kids.

tod evans
08-02-2006, 12:16 PM
rick, most kids like to build knick-knack shelves or shadow boxes they can hang in their rooms...tod

Mike Hill
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Rick: Not sure of their interest in woodworking, but I built a toolbox last month with my 11 Y.O. Grandson and gave him all the old hand tools in the shop. He loved it and I learned with him in the process. See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=391653&highlight=Jakes+Rodeo#post391653 For Xmas I am building a Bread Box for one of my daughters, but they are so simple I think you and the kids could build one out of pine or other inexpensive wood, stain it and send them home to Mom with it! There are pictures of the box under "Jakes first Rodeo" here on SMC. If you decide to do this, I can copy the plan from a book I have and fax it to you. I also was given some great bread box pictures recently on a post I did under bread boxes pictures http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=405900&highlight=bread+boxes#post405900

Mike

Chuck Trisdale
08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
I echo what Tod said. My daughter even asked me to build shelves for her. She also mentioned a step stool - helps those littel short people get up to the top shelves.

Have fun with them. Let us know what you choose

Ralph Okonieski
08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
What about "napkin holders"? Not a ring that a napkin slides through but the type used for holding paper napkins. Looking at it from the side, the cross section is "|_|" shaped. I received one as a gift that had a swan or duck shape for the sides. I believe it had eyes and a few feathers painted on it for effect. Very simple shape with minimal painting.

Second idea, perhaps a paper towel roll holder. Basically a flat base with an upright dowel. It could be "fancied-up" with an edge on the base or decoration on the dowel. Could add a second smaller upright dowel as a 'tearing point'.

Third idea, wall-hanging magazine rack. A back is not necessary, just the two sides and bottom. Side view "\|", top is open. Could use dowels for front cross pieces or get more rigorous and mortise&tenon or dovetails. As complicated as you wish.

Lee Schierer
08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I've built a number of things with my grand kids the latest was napkin rings. Simple project, but they were fun to make and allowed lots more hands on.
Napkin Rings (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40297)
Bird houses and feeders hardly ever go out of favor with kids.

Kites are lots of fun, you can cut your own sticks and make a string winder too.

Wooden toys are a big hit, they help make them and then get to play with them.

Planter boxes for Mom or Grandma

Wall Shelves

Stilts

Puzzles. Glue magazing photos to luan plywood and cut out pieces with a bandsaw or jig saw.

Step stools to help them reach the sink, make two one for your house and one for home.

Bug houses for capturing and observing critters can be fun.

Simple boxes for storing priceless kid treasures in.

My son enjoyed making a rack to hold his baseball glove, bat and ball. Mom liked it too as it kept them off the floor.

Wooden stacking puzzles, tic tac toe games, chinese checker boards, etc.

If you can pre cut difficult pieces ahead of time, kids still have a ball just doing the assembly and finishing.

Make sure they know the shop rules and that everyone including Granddad wears hearing protection. Make sure they wear old clothes when working in the shop. DAMHIKT. Girls should have hair clips or braids if they have long hair to keep it away from the tools and finish. Work safe.

Maurice Metzger
08-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Rick, how about toolboxes? Well, more like tool totes, open top with a dowel handle.

Maurice

Tom Jones III
08-02-2006, 2:00 PM
I've had good luck with step stools, boards with pegs to hang hats and backpacks, toolboxes and pens.

Ben Grunow
08-02-2006, 9:08 PM
How about a cutting board? I still have mine from 7th grade. I secong the magazine rack suggetion too.

Craig Colvin
08-03-2006, 1:59 AM
We do the tool tote and birdhouses with the local Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts. Quick and easy with a large group.

For our paying classes the kids really enojoy building Train whistles and Wooden Locks.

http://www.sawdustshop.com/class_images/class_parentchild.jpg

We also have a crayon truck that is popular as well.

http://www.sawdustshop.com/class_images/class_kidcamp.jpg

Julio Navarro
08-03-2006, 8:26 AM
How about a jewelry box for the girl and a treasure chest for the boy. Pirates are big this summer, I hear. Yaaarrr!

Mike Hill
08-03-2006, 8:31 AM
I know one thing for sure. This link is going in my memory bank for when the grandkids visit next summer. A lot of really great ideas.
Mike

Rick Gibson
08-03-2006, 4:03 PM
Thanks, there are some good ideas there. I'll go over some of them with the grandkids when they get here and hopefully post pictures of the completed work. My grandson turns 16 this summer and loves to cook so I was thinking of the wooden salad tongs that were in wood magazine a while back. The girls I'm not sure about yet. The 14 year old likes horses and the 11 year old is a budding artist so we will come up with something.