PDA

View Full Version : Rustoleum Epoxy

Jason Christenson
08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking of putting Rustoleum Epoxy Flooring on my basement floor before I move all of my shop stuff in. Does anyone have any experiences with this stuff, good or bad?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Doug Mason
08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
I just layed down some on my garage--gray clor with speckles from the borg. It turned out great (I'm glad I used the speckles). I was going to go w/Tie Clad from Sherwin Williams--but the sales people there new less than I did about the product. So I just went with Rustoleum. As the directions say--prep is the key. Also, fill in all the cracks in the concrete w/Epoxy--it does help.

Jason Christenson
08-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the quick response. While I'm at it, any advice for painting concrete?

Kyle Kraft
08-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Etch with a muriatic acid solution, rinse well and dry thoroughly.

Doug Shepard
08-02-2006, 12:55 PM
I ended up using Sherwin Williams Shield-Crete mainly because I wanted something white which Rust-Oleum didnt have (at least in the DIY kits).
As far as painting goes, I'd say get the biggest roller you can unless your space is small. After cutting in the sides and corners with a brush, I was using an 18" roller going a fairly brisk pace. By the time I'd get about 3/4ths of the space painted things were starting to get pretty tacky - still workable, but a sure sign I was running out of time.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37683

Brad Townsend
08-02-2006, 1:08 PM
Etch with a muriatic acid solution, rinse well and dry thoroughly. I did my shop floor with EpoxyShield and, if I remember right, this was not recommended. Part of the kit is a prep cleaner that is diluted with water and used instead. I've been very happy with it. It's been nearly two years and has not peeled or flaked, but mine was a new floor that had not been sealed. It will show scratches and abrasions, but overall, holds up to heavy traffic very well. The biggest problem I've had with it is discoloration from laying some damp cedar on it. I've tried everything I can think of, but I don't think I can get it out.:mad:

Dave Noftz
08-03-2006, 9:41 AM
Hi Jason,

I painted the floor of my basement shop with Rustoleum Epoxy about a year ago, and the floor turned out great. Rustoleum makes two versions... one for garage floors and one for basement floors. Make sure you follow the directions for the product that you buy. The basement version (which I used) only requires you to clean the concrete... no acid etch is required. Personally, I wouldn't want to do an acid etch in a closed environment like a basement.

They recommend cleaning the concrete with TSP. Using TSP can be somewhat problematic because you have to rinse it off VERY well. This isn't a big deal in a garage, but it can be a bigger challenge in a basement. I found a TSP-substitute cleaner at Lowe's that didn't require rinsing. I used that to clean the floor, and everything turned out great.

Plan out a strategy to cover the whole floor before-hand. You have to work pretty quick. Keep a wet edge between sections to avoid lap marks from the roller and wear a good quality canister respirator. The fumes are very strong.

Good luck!
Dave

Bailey John
08-03-2006, 10:19 AM
First time post here as this is first topic on my radar for this weekend. I too picked up the Rustoleum kit from HD. Tonight I begin the prep/cleaning. I too have to work on 1/2 at a time due to clutter of tools, bikes, etc. My question is: The coverage on the diy kit indicates 300-400 sf. Whats your experience on the actual use? My garage floor is 440 sf and I was planning on mixing about 1/2 the batch for the first side to see how it covers then maybe going back for another kit or filling less used area with Drylock Gray.

Jason Christenson
08-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I found a TSP-substitute cleaner at Lowe's that didn't require rinsing.

Do you remember what that substitute was?

Brad Townsend
08-03-2006, 11:11 AM
First time post here as this is first topic on my radar for this weekend. I too picked up the Rustoleum kit from HD. Tonight I begin the prep/cleaning. I too have to work on 1/2 at a time due to clutter of tools, bikes, etc. My question is: The coverage on the diy kit indicates 300-400 sf. Whats your experience on the actual use? My garage floor is 440 sf and I was planning on mixing about 1/2 the batch for the first side to see how it covers then maybe going back for another kit or filling less used area with Drylock Gray. My experience on coverage runs on the low end of their range. I have 600 sq. ft. I bought three kits, just to be on the safe side. I used two of them. It was enough, but I didn't have a lot of the second kit left over. I would figure on 300 per kit.

Chris Padilla
08-03-2006, 12:00 PM
www.ucoatit.com (http://www.ucoatit.com) Excellent albeit pricey stuff for garage floors...dunno about basements for this product, however.

Dave Noftz
08-03-2006, 2:51 PM
Do you remember what that substitute was?

I think it was actually called "TSP Substitute." It was a pink liquid in a clear plastic bottle. I'm not sure if I have any left; I'll check at home tonight to see if I can get a more specific name for it.

Dave

Jason Christenson
08-03-2006, 3:00 PM
I think it was actually called "TSP Substitute." It was a pink liquid in a clear plastic bottle. I'm not sure if I have any left; I'll check at home tonight to see if I can get a more specific name for it.

Dave

Thanks....

glenn bradley
08-03-2006, 4:14 PM
A co-worker/Friend did his garage floor (with Rustoleum's product) prior to moving into a new (to him) house. He's not exactly "Mr. Handy". He followed the directions and the surface came out quite well. I'm jealous but too lazy to gut the garage to do my own. The price was less than expected and the material went just a wee bit farther than the can states it will. His experience says to do small areas as the directions indicate and believe it or not; practice the spreading of the "sprinkles" cause if you oops on the real surface, it's there for good.

Rob Bodenschatz
08-03-2006, 4:32 PM
First time post here...
So now we have a John Bailey and a Bailey John? Nice.

If a Bodenschatz Rob shows up, I'm leavin'.

Welcome.

Bailey John
08-03-2006, 8:30 PM
Thanks Rob, saw the conflict on user name when I signed up. Goes with territory - John Smith, Doe Bailey, etc.

Al Navas
08-03-2006, 9:28 PM
I'm thinking of putting Rustoleum Epoxy Flooring on my basement floor before I move all of my shop stuff in. Does anyone have any experiences with this stuff, good or bad?

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Jason,

As you have not stated it, I must ask: Do you have ANY water problems in the basement? Are there any continuously wet areas?

If you have any areas that do have water problems, the epoxy is NOT the answer, as it will fail quickly and will come off in sheets. Otherwise, as has been stated, follow the directions and you will have good to great results. I would recommend the anti-skid flakes too.

Good luck!

Al