PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad thing?

Todd Burch
09-27-2003, 9:44 PM
Just wondering. I'm not sure if I'll lose any sleep over this or not.

Todd Burch
09-27-2003, 9:54 PM
On page 46 - top of the page - an article on "American Mahogany". Me thinks they mean African Mahogany.

Anyone else ever heard of American Mahogany? That's a new one on me.

Todd.

EDIT: Oh, I've read more - they are referring to Central and South American Mahogany as simply American Mahogany, which boils down to Honduran Mahogany - the term that I've always used and heard. Never mind. :o

Dave Anderson NH
09-27-2003, 10:29 PM
I began subscribing to American Woodworker back in the days when it was a black and white publication edited by David Sloan. I was quite happy with it during the years Ellis Walentine was editor and for a short period thereafter. Content was good, ads were woodworker oriented, and renewal notices only came when needed. With in two or three isssues after Reader's Digest took over the articles were largely rehashes of previous ones, the content was dumbed down, and a large percentage of the ads seemed to be insurance, trucks, and other marginally related products. Trying to be fair, I would have to note that my skill level and interests have improved over the years so myabe it was time to move on anyway. I let my subscription lapse almost 2 years ago and havent missed the magazine one iota. I was also irritated by the barrage of renewal notices almost a year early, continual and repeated attempts to regain my readership, and even a bit of telemarketing.

Summary: You won't miss it a bit.

Jim Becker
09-27-2003, 10:52 PM
Just wondering. I'm not sure if I'll lose any sleep over this or not.

IMHO, no. When Readers Digest took over the magazine from Rodale, things went down hill fast. Although there are occasionally some decent articles, I don't think it's worth a subcription...you can always pick up a single copy of particular interest on the newstand. I let my own subscription lape a year ago and don't miss it one bit. There are a number of great magazines that are a lot more interesting and of higher quality to me and I subcribe to them because of it.

Tony Falotico
09-28-2003, 8:34 AM
I let all my subscriptions end several years back for a multitude of reasons we won't go into. Wood was my favorite but I got bored with it. I am ready to re-subscribe. I remember Woodsmith and Shop Notes to be very good.

What do you all recommend, I want meat without lots of filler.

Steve Clardy
09-28-2003, 10:57 AM
American woodworker got real boring for me, so I let it go. Took it for years. Also the same on Wood Magazine. It got real boring also. Way to many home and craft projects. 1/3 of the magazine was filled with paper patterns that to me were a waste. I've had about all of the wood magazines at one point or another. I'm down to Wood Shop News and Cabinetmaker magazines only. Thats where my interest is.
Steve

Jim Becker
09-28-2003, 11:25 AM
What do you all recommend, I want meat without lots of filler.

My three favorites are WOOD Magazine, Fine Woodworking and American Woodturner (the mag of the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org)). These are not the only subscriptions I have, but if I had to reduce them to only three, these would be the ones. They provide a variety of material that suits my interests; both easily approachable stuff and things that are quite challenging. I like that mix. I will admit that I didn't like FW at first, but quickly grew to appreciate the things I could learn from it even if I wasn't quite ready to tackle what they were specifically presenting. If there is one thing you can say about Taunton Press, it's that they really do pay attention to quality in both content and presentation. Both are outstanding in all their publications and books.

ShopNotes and Woodsmith are also nice publications, although different as they are strictly projects and tips focused. (No ads) Another magazine called Woodwork is interesting to read, although it has its ups and downs, especially in presentation. It seems to be more of a journal and a lot of the photography is definitely not done by pros.

scott pollack
09-28-2003, 1:07 PM
ill chime in with my 3 favs if i could. i like " fine woodworking " , " popular woodworking" and " woodworkers journal" . im a furniture builder so they seem geared towards what i like. they may not be the * best * out there but its what i like. ive read american woodworker and it seems my skills are above what they print. pick up some others from the mag rack and see what you like. most of em offer a free issue from their web sites. a freebie never hurt. thanks for listening to my 2 cents.

scotty