PDA

View Full Version : Turner Interview: John K. Miliunas

Mark Cothren
08-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Name: John K. Miliunas

DOB: Aug. 29, 1956 and heading “over the hill” this year! (Better “over” than “under” heh? J )

Physical description
Just a touch under 6’, 225lbs. (most of the time), longish brown hair and thankfully, not thinning out too much and Pesh, yes, it’s a real moustache!

South Central Wisconsin for about the last 25 years or so. Currently live in the country near Bear Valley. (‘Bout 15 miles NE of Spring Green) Born in Chicago and there until age 15. Came to Wisconsin, where I finished school and became an official Cheesehead and Packer fan!

Family information
Married to wife, Jill for almost 26 years. Two daughters, Casey 15 and Ann 21. Two step-daughters, Teresa in Oshkosh, WI and Tiffany in Hawaii. One grand-daughter, Madison, who just turned 1 yr.old. Three step-kids, Ashley, Ean and Alicia. As of this time, Ann and daughter Madison living with us, so our “downsized” home is “full”! Currently, one dog, Jack, a mixed Spaniel and Retriever (long black hair and fat!), who basically adopted us about 9 years ago and a Calico cat, Twister. She got her name, as we adopted her last year after she was orphaned in the big Stoughton, WI tornadoes.

Vocation
I’ve been working for the University of Madison, WI for the last 7 years doing computer desktop and Network support. Prior to that, it was PC repair & general support. Did stints with sales, maintenance work, flooring installation and photography.

Equipment Overview
Tools include a Bridgewood cabinet saw, Laguna 16HD band saw, Delta DJ20, Yorkcraft 15” planer, William & Hussey planer/molder, Delta CMS, Delta mortiser, C-man DP, Jet disc/belt sander, Delta drum sander and the usual assortment of portable power tools, including a very often-used EZ guided saw system, as well as a decent assortment of hand tools.

How many lathes have (or do) you own? Tell us about ‘em.
Two at present. My first was the Yorkcraft with a 12x32” capacity. Pretty much a clone to similar Jet and Delta units. A couple years ago, I scored a used Vega 2400 on eBay. It was located relatively close to me and the guy even delivered it to my shop! 2HP, variable speed w/reverse, 24” capacity, concrete in the head and legs for added stability.

How many turning tools do you have?
Probably a couple dozen or so. One cheap “starter set” and then mainly Sorby, though my “go-to” chisel is the PM Elseworth bowl gouge. A Super-Nova and SN 2 chucks with standard jaws, as well as a set of Cole jaws, now setup on the original SN. Also have the “main” start for a vacuum chuck system (Gast pump, 220V), which I got “used” for a steal! Still need to figure out the chuck system for it and am yearning for a captive hollowing rig to try.

Tell us about your shop
Just under 1000 sq/ft. shop (stand-alone attached to separate garage) with approx. 250 sq/ft. finishing room. A “Woodsucker” cyclone takes care of the main chips/dust collection while a home-made air cleaner keeps ambient dust at bay. Heat in the winter via a “Hot Dawg” propane-fired heater on setback thermostat and cooling by way of the largest 110VAC window unit I could find. Mounted that in the far wall.

How long turning?
This is kind of a trick question for me! I started about 4 years ago, though it’s almost always been “in between” other projects. For the last couple of years, it’s been pretty minimal, as I’ve been plagued with some health issues and a house in need of a lot of upgrading and repairs.

What got you into turning?
Inspiration by so many of the other turners’ work and just the “yearning” to try something new and different.

What do you enjoy most about turning?
The ability to create something new and different with each and every piece. Even when “trying” to duplicate, no two pieces are really alike.

What was your first completed turned project?
I guess I wouldn’t call it a “project” but, it was a simple spindle, aka, candle-holder. My first “real” projects were pens.

What is your favorite form that you turn?
Bowls, which almost cross over into being Orts. J

What is your favorite form someone else turns/has turned?
Yeah. Right. Another trick question! There is just no conceivable way for me to come up with an answer to this one. I love the bowls, HF’s, boxes, NE’s, pens, bottle stoppers and yes, even the bonkers, which I see out here at SMC.

What is your favorite wood to work with and why?
Cherry. Love the smell, the general “control” of it and it finishes beautifully.

Have you met or hung out with any turnin’ Creekers? Tell us about it.
Gads, I hope I don’t miss anyone on this one! Let’s see. There’s Jeff Sudmeier, Dale Thompson, Bill Grumbine, Erin & Scott Roesch, Joe Breid, Steve Ash and I apologize if I’ve missed anyone! Jeff, Erin and Scott live nearby, so they’re easy. I met up with Dale, Bill and Joe at the LaCrosse gathering back in April. Last, but definitely not last is Steve Ash, who I had the absolute distinct pleasure of meeting just a couple weeks ago, when he, Larry Merlau and their respective wives came for a visit. Then there are the turner wannabe’s but, we’ll let that one go…. J

What is your favorite individual piece that you have turned, and why?
A Walnut (Yeah, not Cherry!) cheese and cracker serving platter I did back on the old Yorkie. The biggest hunk ‘o wood that would fit on that beast and it was a challenge trying to chase the lathe around the shop area while doing it!

What if your favorite piece someone else has turned, and why?
Good grief! See 4 paragraphs above!!!

What do you not turn now that you want to – or plan to – in the future?
Hollow forms! Need to get the rigging for that, though.

What brought you to SMC?
That “other place with water” had the water drained out of it. Been here since Day-1 and loving every minute of it! J

Got any nicknames? How’d you get it?
Not currently. The guys in HS used to call me “Flash”, as I was always running around with a camera/flash setup, shooting pics for the yearbook and other publications.

Now let’s get a little deep… If you were a tree, what tree would you be and why?
Probably a Cherry. It smells nice, bears wonderful fruit and, once you “open” it up, you just never know what surprises are waiting to jump out.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Nice interview John! It's good to know a little more about you!

Karl Laustrup
08-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Name: John K. Miliunas

Got any nicknames? How’d you get it?
Not currently. The guys in HS used to call me “Flash”, as I was always running around with a camera/flash setup, shooting pics for the yearbook and other publications.

Excuse me, while maybe only on these pages will it normally be seen, but I do believe "SPRING" comes to mind. :D For a young whipper snapper of almost 50 your memory is already going. ;) :eek: Another 10 years and you'll be a babbling idiot....................like me. :o :eek: :D :D

Glad you did the interview Spring. Learned a couple of things about you.

Karl

Michael Stafford
08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Well, it is about time the esteemed moderator of the Turning Forum had his time penning answers to the "Turner Interview". I have looked forward to this because I enjoy John's posts and have wanted to know more about him. Enjoyed the interview very much. Seems like we already knew you...but I guess that is natural for a man with 8000+ posts;)

John Miliunas
08-02-2006, 1:03 PM
Seems like we already knew you...but I guess that is natural for a man with 8000+ posts;)

Thanks, Mike. I tried to weasel my way out of it but, Cothren would have no part of it! :mad: Oh well, he's hung on to it long enough for it to already be inaccurate! I now weigh in just under 205 and got my mitts on a real Jet air cleaner to replace the home-built jobbie. :D (Think it'll go in the finishing room! :) ):cool:

Keith Burns
08-02-2006, 1:13 PM
Well John, Spring, Flash or whatever your name is, it is certainly nice to know more about you. I like Big Mike have been waiting for your interview.
Greatr interview and I hope the hand is healing up well so you can get back turning full time.:) :)

Mark Cothren
08-02-2006, 1:14 PM
Oh well, he's hung on to it long enough for it to already be inaccurate!

I think that was a shot...:confused: You may not know this about me John, but I am very emotionally fragile and easily crushed...:(

I think I'll just go find me some worms to eat now...

:D

John Miliunas
08-02-2006, 1:26 PM
I think that was a shot...:confused: You may not know this about me John, but I am very emotionally fragile and easily crushed...:(

I think I'll just go find me some worms to eat now...

:D

Oh, contraire my fine friend! NOT a shot at all. I figured I had it comin' after I was sitting on the interview questionnaire for a couple 'o months! :eek: :D

And, if you're so dang emotionally "fragile", how in the heck do you manage to choke down those worms???? :confused: :D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
08-02-2006, 2:55 PM
John must still be really troubled by his bandaged hand.

You'd think a mod on smc would know better than to let this thread in with no pics. Sheesh!

So whaddya say! Let's help the old boy out and post some pics for him.

Here's my submission. Technopropellorhead that he is, John devleoped his own PDA design, development, and manufacturing company.

So John? When's the IPO - or is that IPA?

John Miliunas
08-02-2006, 3:03 PM
John must still be really troubled by his bandaged hand.

You'd think a mod on smc would know better than to let this thread in with no pics. Sheesh!

So whaddya say! Let's help the old boy out and post some pics for him.

Here's my submission. Technopropellorhead that he is, John devleoped his own PDA design, development, and manufacturing company.

So John? When's the IPO - or is that IPA?

Hey Drew, I still think that's THE best Palm ever made!!! :D

What the heck you want pictures of, anyway??? Us ugly ole hippies don't make for real good subjects, you know!!! :eek: :D :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2006, 6:13 PM
John it is nice to meet you. I look forward to your witty posts. Hope your hand is getting better and you will be able to turn soon.

Dick Parr
08-02-2006, 6:32 PM
Really great interview John, I am glad to get to know you better. I am waiting for the day we finally meet somewhere for a cold one.;)

Ernie Nyvall
08-02-2006, 7:46 PM
Not currently. The guys in HS used to call me “Flash”, as I was always running around ...

Whew, this part was starting to worry me a bit.:eek: Glad the story ended with a camera and not a birthday suit.:eek: :eek: :D

Nice to know more about you Flash. Good interview.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
08-02-2006, 9:07 PM
Nice to know you better John. Now, hurry up and heal, and get busy on that HF rig.:D

Curt Fuller
08-02-2006, 9:31 PM
Good to know more about you John. Hope the hand is healing well too.

BTW, One of my favorite all time heros was named Flash.... Flash Gordon.

Tom Sherman
08-02-2006, 9:39 PM
Great interview John, Nothing wrong with that palm pilot actually pretty good idea no batteries to wory about. How is the hand coming along anyway, hope it is improving daily and about to let you turn out some real nice bowls. Maybe then we'll get to see some pictures.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-02-2006, 9:40 PM
Thanks for sharing with us, John. Your supportive comments have helped a number of us attempt pieces that stretch our skills.

Bruce

Barry Stratton
08-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks for sharing.....but where are the pics????? House, family, scenery, the last deer you ran over with your subaru:D , etc......

Oh well...... A GREAT interview John! I appreciate your humorous and supportive posts and hope to see you up and "turning" with both hands ...... soon......

Cecil Arnold
08-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Good interview John, and it's really nice to get to know more about you. Seem like a really nice guy--for a packer fan.:D :D :D

Dennis Peacock
08-03-2006, 2:30 AM
Nice to meet you and know you even more John. It's nice to learn more about folks you've been around on the internet with for several years. Thanks for a good and funny interview.:cool:

John Miliunas
08-03-2006, 6:37 AM
Seem like a really nice guy--for a packer fan.:D :D :D

Hey, easy there Cecil!!! I'm a Packer Fan first, "nice guy" second!!! :D

Tom, thanks for asking. The hand is coming along super!!!! :) Still a fair amount of pain but, working on pretty extensive "range of motion" exercises and gonna' start on strengthening next. The surgery was a LOT tougher than my other hand last year but, due to some "other" health issues being addressed concurrently, the healing this time is going better and faster!!! :) :D :cool:

Ed Scolforo
08-03-2006, 9:08 AM
John, nice interview and it seems I already know you from many of your postings. Get that hand better soon!
Ed

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2006, 9:06 PM
John, glad to know more about you and I always look forward to your posts. Truely a nice guy always willing to share info and lend a hand. Hope your hand is healing well!!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
08-04-2006, 3:16 AM
Great interview, John. Nice to know a bit more about you.

A buddy of mine got his PhD in some type of genetics at the University of Madison...he really liked the area when he was there.

- Vaughn

Jim Ketron
08-06-2006, 8:10 AM
Nice to know more about ya John!
Hope you can get some play time real soon!
Heal up and get better then sling some good ol wet shavings!:D

Jim Becker
08-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Haa!!! You're going to beat me to AARP!! LOL!! (Nice interview...)

Don Orr
08-08-2006, 9:21 AM
Well, it's about durn time we got the inside scoop on you John. Real nice interview. Good to know more about the guy who holds the keys to the turning board. Keep up the great job here and at home. Hope the hand is doing better.

Steve Ash
09-08-2006, 9:45 PM
Nice to get to know a little more about you than I already knew John. I had a absolutely wonderful time at your place and meeting your family.

and..........

GO PACK!:D