PDA

View Full Version : Shop Improvements

Mike Hill
08-02-2006, 11:35 AM
In between projects, so I am making improvements to the shop and doing a couple of fun things. Pictures below of and improved table for my Drill Press. I am also building a cabinet this week for the drill from one of Danny Prolux's plans. The second picture is some shelves I built in about and hour using metal mounting strips and MDF from HD. Very inexpensive and I am not tripping over the wood all the time. :) The last three pictures are the "Washer Pits" (similar to pitching horse shoes) I built over the weekend to entertain our adult kids, grandkids and neighbors while waiting for the ribs to cook on the Smoker. Not real serious woodworking, but I post the pictures for those that might be interested in a great backyard game.

The pits frames are 2X4 pressure treated lumber, butt jointed and fastened with 2 1/2 inch deck screws. The pits are 3' square, but really difficult to hit. I would build 4' square in the future. The cups are 21' apart and the soil is a mixture of clay and sand filled to the level of the cup. Cups are 3.5 inches deep and 3 inches in diameter. Washers are 2.5 inches in diameter. Mine are from a local company in Austin, but honestly, you can buy all of this at the BORG. If interested, pictures, rules and game kits can be found at http://www.bombatwashers.com/index.html

Mike

Bob Noles
08-02-2006, 3:37 PM
Mike,

Looks like you are staying busy with a lot of nice projects. The DP table turned out nice and I really like the looks of that Bombat game. I may have to look into that game further.... looks like fun.

Thanks for sharing and the link.

Rob Bodenschatz
08-02-2006, 3:45 PM
Forget the projects. Look at that lawn!!! What are you using on that? Food coloring?

:D

EDIT: Sorry Mike. In my excitement over your lawn it appears I may have dissed your work. My apologies. Nice job on those. I'm going to check out the link for that game as it may find a place in my yard (which looks nowhere near as nice as yours).

Bill Roland
08-02-2006, 5:11 PM
Looks like a great use for old AOL Disc!

Rob Bodenschatz
08-02-2006, 5:27 PM
Looks like a great use for old AOL Disc!

But then what will I use for coasters????

Mike Hill
08-02-2006, 6:01 PM
Forget the projects. Look at that lawn!!! What are you using on that? Food coloring?

:D

EDIT: Sorry Mike. In my excitement over your lawn it appears I may have dissed your work. My apologies. Nice job on those. I'm going to check out the link for that game as it may find a place in my yard (which looks nowhere near as nice as yours).

Rob: This is a new lawn and you may not be aware of what it costs to water here in Texas. :) In any case, up where you are we sit here in envy of the green lawns and foliage. I used Southern lawn Grass fertilizer from Scott's and watered every day for several weeks after the sod was put in. Result was a $200 water bill. I am down to 2 days a week and under $100 now, but want to get down to watering once a week just for the sake of conserving water in this area of the country. It has been close to 100 degrees every day and really tough on a lawn.
Mike