PDA

View Full Version : Best way to store this wood

Rick Hubbard
08-02-2006, 9:26 AM
Hi everyone-

I just acquired about 1,500 lineal feet of 2X12 reclaimed oak for FREE(sorry no pics).

Right now it is all stacked on the floor of my garage since there is no room for it in my shop. I plan to build rack for it against one wall of the garage so my wife can actually park her car. My question is whether or not I should sticker it. All of it is already sealed on 4 sides with some kind of varnish.

Thanks for the advice.

David Wilson
08-02-2006, 9:44 AM
Rick
Reclamed lumber should not have to be stickered I think. Why not just ship it to me and then you won't have to wory about it.

Charlie Plesums
08-02-2006, 9:55 AM
First thing I would do is put some stickers under it, to get it off the concrete floor.

If it was dry when you got it (not stacked outside in the rain, or in a barn with a leaky roof), I probably wouldn't bother stickering between the boards. Stickers never hurt, but make the stack take more room. If you use them, be sure the stickers are aligned...each one above the one in the layer below.

Scott Vigder
08-02-2006, 1:59 PM
Rick
Why not just ship it to me and then you won't have to wory about it.

Dave lives too far away. Save shipping costs and send it to me in Ohio.

Andy Hoyt
08-02-2006, 2:09 PM
Sorry guys, I'm just a wee bit closer.

Hey, Rick. Bring it over here and I'll show you what to do:D

I'd check it with a meter just to be safe, and if it's dry I'd stack it indoors with no stickers.

If it's gonna be stored outdoors (regardless of moisture content) under so-so, or even good cover, I think I'd sticker it just to safeguard against the unknown.