PDA

View Full Version : Engraving double?

Brad Bice
08-02-2006, 9:21 AM
I'm using a universal V-400 and sometimes when I have a job that is wider than 23" the laser will engrave double, with a "ghost" image just slightly offset from the original.

But if I keep my widths below 23" (on our 24" table), it's fine. Is there a reason for this?

Joe Pelonio
08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I have no idea why it does that, but you might try this. Set your paper size to 12" x 24-1/2", and match that in your print driver when you send the job over. Remember to move the artwork back to 0,0. See if that helps.

Mike Null
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Have you checked your mirror alignment? Not sure this is the problem but it seems possible.

Bruce Volden
08-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Brad

Is the "ghosting" only on 1 axis?? If it is the X axis I think you may have a "run out" type problem. Try cleaning (thouroughly) the linear rail and re-lubing the rail, then send a vertical narrow line to the engraver positioned at the "bad" area and see how it rastered. This can lead you in the right direction. Also check the belts to see if any minute amount of "crud" is deposited in the peaks/valleys at the "bad" area. Hope this can help.

Bruce

Mike Mackenzie
08-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Brad,

The problem is most likely due to the belt or the drive gear. If you are able to try loosening the X axis belt slightly you may even want to take the belt apart at the carriage and clean the drive gear on the motor.

use a toothbrush with some alcohol and clean the cogs in the drive gear.

You may just want to replace the X belt. DO NOT PULL THE BELT THROUGH THE ARM without having the replacement belt attached to it.

When we change the belt we disconnect the belt from the carriage and remove the belt clamp then use a stapler and staple the new belt to the existing belt now feed the new belt through while pulling the old belt out.

If you need instructions let me know.

I think I would try to loosen the belt first on the V400 your tension was set by the motor loosen the four screws that mount the motor and adjust the set screw on the motor base then tighten the motor screws.

Also when you pull the x axis head all the way over to the right look to see if the belt is straight with the motor drive gear it might be raised slightly and causing the belt to ride up in that area. You can adjust that easily by loosening the drive gear and lowering it until the belt looks straight.

One more thought what Version of DRIVER, Corel, and windows do you have also what firmware version is on the system? Try to give me these first this might have something to do with this issue.