PDA

View Full Version : Planer/jointer and sawdust...finally!

Al Willits
08-02-2006, 8:45 AM
Finally got the garage cleared out enough to fire up the new York jointer and planer I bought.
Pretty happy, these two puppies cut though wood with no effort, the short piece of pine didn't even slow them down and the Tigerwood (we think) wasn't even making these units work either.

Hot knife though butter comes to mind here...:)

Jointer is looking like its right on, but I still need to complete the set up on the planer, got the rollers/beds close, but the wood wanted to stop when it was almost though and then the drive roller would make a divot.
Back to the video and recheck everything.
I have a decent straight edge on order and that should help also.

All in all I'm a very happy camper, and thank all who helped me get this far, I may be broke, but I have a pretty nice jointer/planer combo in my opinion.

Hooked the JDS Dustforce up to them and it works great, much to the happiness of the little women, always nice to keep them happy.

One question though, do you guys run rough sawn wood though the jointer first or the planer??

Al

Jim Becker
08-02-2006, 8:47 AM
One question though, do you guys run rough sawn wood though the jointer first or the planer??

Other than potentially a "skim plane" to view figure in a board, the jointer is the first go-to machine to flatten one face and put one edge straight and perpendicular to the flat face. Then you go to the planer to thickness.

Al Killian
08-02-2006, 1:16 PM
I always start with the jointer to flaten one face then I mark that side with pencil on end grain. Marking the end grain will make sure you put the right side down in the planer just in case you do not get a chance to finish the board befor it is parellel to the other face.

Al Willits
08-02-2006, 4:08 PM
I used "puppies" because I forgot how to spell "thingamajigs"...:)

Not sure if your serious or not, but if you are...no, puppies is not a technical term, unless your an old fart living in Minnesota, then puppies become a colloquial phrase and can be used to describe almost anything except the wife/girlfriend.

Al

Brian Hale
08-02-2006, 7:59 PM
Glad you got those puppies making chippies Al!! :D

Sometimes when planing wood that's rough on both sides, a low spot on the bottom can catch on the infeed bed roller and cause it to pause. I usually try to feed it at and angle to stop that from happening. Could also be that the bed rollers are a tad too low and the rough surface is catching on the opening where the bed rollers are.

BTW, you forgot to post pics of the dust christening! :rolleyes:

Brian :)

Al Willits
08-02-2006, 10:49 PM
"""""""""
Thanks!! Men have some strange names for some things.
""""""

Strange? You should hear what the wife calls me when she's mad...er....maybe not...:)

But yes, guy's do name their toys at times...:)

Brian, your probably right, I'll try it again at a angle and see if it works better, gonna check all the settings this weekend also, once I got the cutter figured out, I figured I'd leave well enough alone until I ran a board though it.

Pictures will come, shame on me, my only defense is I was in the heat of the moment about using these babies...er...puppies, and forgot about the camera.
This weekend I'll take a few....

Al who's hanging his head in shame.....:(

Gary Breckenridge
08-04-2006, 1:15 AM
:p Plane it first; that way you can be sure that you will have a 90 degree angle. Not all rough boards have a parallel surface. Do it the other way and an 89 or so degree angle may mess you up later. :)

Al Willits
08-04-2006, 8:41 AM
OK, did some Basswood last night, 8 foot lengths and 5/4 thickness...I hate Basswood, darn stuff comes off the planer is threads and gums up my DC, did find a little patience and thinner cuts helped though... :)

But I am getting a bit of snipe, beds are level and it seems to feed nicely, so I'm suspecting operator error here.
Wondering if either adding a section to the out bed or using a set of rollers would help?

Lifting slightly on the board as it exits seems to help, but it seems pretty picky as to how much to lift..

Neighbor stopped over and his helpful comment was, Grasshopper, you need to let the Force flow though your body....having a bit of doubt on his wisdom, but he thought it was funny.

No pictures this time either, but Tyler says he might come over Sat morning and maybe we can get a few then, was just to hard to run the board though the planer and take pictures at the same time...

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...:)

Al