PDA

View Full Version : veneering question

bill walton
08-02-2006, 6:53 AM
For an interior table I'm building for a guys boat, I've sawn a particularly pretty piece of curly cherry into veneers and plan on adding those to a substrate of plywood surrounded by a cherry frame. My thoughts are to add the cherry edging, 2" wide, to the plywood, then glue the veneer completely covering the hardwood and ply substrate. I could then radius the corners and shape the edges of the entire piece. I have a piece of veneer core cherry plywood that would be big enough to use. Will I need to glue a balancing veneer to the bottom? Can you think of a reason not to use the cherry plywood?

thanks

tod evans
08-02-2006, 6:57 AM
bill, cherry ply is to darn expensive, especially lumber core. it`ll veneer fine though, and yes to veneering the back with the same thickness veneer...02 tod

Steve Wargo
08-02-2006, 7:40 AM
Yep... What Tod said. You have to veneer the bottom, and Cherry ply is too expensive to use as substraight. Depending on the look you're trying to achieve, you could either put the edgebanding on first and then veneer the top, or veneer the top and then edge band. I think that generally the latter has better results for holding up to abuse. The thinner veneer will sometimes chip off when applied last. Good luck.