PDA

View Full Version : Stools for Tall and Short - Pics

Dennis Peacock
08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Greetings,

It's been a while since I've actually posted any real "flatwork" since most of my work earlier this year has all be "round" work off the lathe. You may remember that my BIL and his family were here last week visiting and he's a youth minister in Alabama. He's been wanting a stool to teach from for about the last 2 years. This year, while they were here, we decided to make a stool "just his size". :) He's a fairly tall feller and wanted a stool that would fit him rather nicely and not fit the normal height person without a fair bit of climbing. The tall stool is his stool. Red Oak legs and stretchers with an Ash top of his design and Black Walnut wedges for added decoration to the top. The finish is BLO and then 3 coats of lacquer. The "tall stool" hits me just above the waist and I'm 5'9" tall.

The "short stool" is a Milk Stool design and I make one of these for each child born in the family and their name is painted on the top and then padded shellac for the finish over the BLO finish. This little stool went to my other BIL who's also a volunteer civil war re-enactment type person. What's not showing in any of the pics of the small stool is I found Col John Mosby's signature online, traced it to the bottom of the stool and finished over it since Mosby was named after Col Mosby.

So I guess you can say that I've done 2 projects with a mix of "round" work and "flatwork".

Thanks for looking.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Mighty fine looking stools Dennis! I glad you included that 4th photo....When I looked at the 1st photo I thought it read "Moxey".....I thought....OH No!...........:D

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Mighty fine looking stools Dennis! I glad you included that 4th photo....When I looked at the 1st photo I thought it read "Moxey".....I thought....OH No!...........:D

LOL..!!!! No Moxie on these babies unless I wanted to strip the finish off of them with it. :p :rolleyes: :D

Vaughn McMillan
08-02-2006, 3:42 AM
Good job, Dennis. Did you turn the legs and stretchers?

- Vaughn

Rick de Roque
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Nice job Dennis. Its fun to make things that are useful to others. I like the wedges. I still need to get out to see you and have you teach me how to work the lathe.

Rick

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2006, 7:15 PM
Nice job Dennis. Its fun to make things that are useful to others. I like the wedges. I still need to get out to see you and have you teach me how to work the lathe.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Nice to see you on the board again. Just come on out sometime and we'll get you on the "spinny thang". :D

Steve Clardy
08-02-2006, 9:36 PM
Looks mighty fine Dennis!